Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 20G extra tall build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 20G extra tall build
    Posted: July 17 2010 at 8:00pm
So I am pretty new to this whole salt water thing. I've been in the hobby for about two and a half months and I have been working on my 20GXT tank. It's pretty much just two 10 gallons on top of eachother. I'm going to break it down into three simple topics. 

I. Lighting
II. Filtration
III. Critters

I. Lighting
Ok so right now for my lighting im running a marineland led compact hood. So to break it down its a 9 led system with 6 white, then 3 moon light. Pretty snazzy if i do say so myself. It has fantastic color in both daylight and moonlight. Each Led is rated at 1w, but competes with 50w lighting. 

II. Filtration
For filtration, I have about 20lbs of live rock and 25lbs of livesand(agronite, pink fiji, and some other utah sand), also within my biological filter I have quite abit of sponge. I am running a koralia Nano but would like to upgrade soon to maybe a koralia 1 or 2. I'm also running a marineland Emperor 150 with just activated carbon and bio wheel. Their are a few feather dusters and a few other things I have no idea what they are.

III. Critters
Ok so I have 6 black snails then like 100 baby snails that are whiteish. I also have a royal urchin, firefish goby, blue/green chromis, candycane wrasse, one orcualas clown, and a yellow tang. I also have two new frags, ones a zoa but I'm not sure what the other is. I also have a strawberry anemone.

On the next post I will put just pictures of everything and I would love to hear what you guys think so far. The first little bit aren't gonna be updated ones.

Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 17 2010 at 8:06pm
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 11:06pm
Any input?
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 11:22pm
Looks pretty good so far.

Here are some suggestions:

1) Adding another koralia would be a good idea. The nano version only flows around 200 gph. You should add at least 1 more. If it were me I would add a 2nd nano rather than upgrading to just 1 larger koralia.

2) Watch the urchin, you may have trouble with it. Urchins tend to eat algae and other critters off of well - established Live Rock in a mature tank. Your rock looks pretty barren. Your urchin may not have enough food in there.

3) You may have problems with the Tang because a 20g tank is too small for a Tang.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 11:24pm
Just keep in mind that the marineland LED's will not grow coral as they were designed for fish only and FW tanks if it's the same fixture I'm thinking of...

"The Marineland LED Double Bright Lighting System measures just 3/4" thick. Energy-efficient LED aquarium light fixture provides excellent general-purpose lighting for freshwater or fish only marine aquarium systems."

(taken from Foster and Smith website description)

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 11:27pm
Well, im hoping to shortly have a 55 running soon, I'm just starting in this hobby and I'm hoping things are doing ok, i was thinking of putting the another nano in their behind the live rock, and on my new tank i would like to have two koralia-3's and get a sump started.
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 11:28pm
Thanks for the advice
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2010 at 11:30pm
Thats the same fixture that I have, but one of the lady I work with has this one, and its growing all sorts, her zoa's are huge and she has been fragging alot from what she has been telling me. Is it not bright enough or not a high enough spectrum?
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic