Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Carbon/Vodka liquid/pellets discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 5:27pm

Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I believe that unless your refugium is larger than the display tank, it won't do near the job that a couple drops of vodka and a good skimmer will do.

I don't think that's entirely true, but I do agree with the idea that the skimmer does much more filtration than a typical refugium. On my tank I don't dose vodka, but have a very oversized skimmer and about a 40 gallon refugium w/ dsb and tons of macro. My nitrates are at 5ppm, and phosphates are at 0. The vodka method has intrigued me since I got serious in reef keeping. Maybe I'll get brave and try it someday. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 6:17pm
Steve do you run GFO?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 6:57pm

Here's how I use vodka:

1) Pour in a glass

2) Add in one of the following:

a) Cranberry Juice

b) Orange Juice

c) 'Tom Collins' sour mix

3) Stir briskly

4) Enjoy - while sitting in front of my plenumed tanks that already have 0 nitrates - 24/7/365 - without any of this dosing "doubletalk nonsense"...

(OK, the "doubletalk nonsense" part was just to stir up Ryan LOL)

Actually, I do think the 'science' of carbon dosing is pretty cool - but I personally wouldn't be able to rely on a method that requires daily attention (vodka dosing), because I would forget to do it every day... and the pellet idea - again, cool sounding - well, why would I trade in my method of nitrate elimination (plenums) that has an already low initial cost - and zero ongoing cost and literally zero maintenance - for a method that requires a higher intial financial cost (buying pellets and the reactor) and also both ongoing regular maintenance and ongoing cost (buying more pellets and replacing them on a regular basis)?

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

Originally posted by rwccomptech rwccomptech wrote:

Jager has vodka in it lo, besides i like rumm better, get me some captain morgan woot

Did somebody call me? lol

yes I need a pint of the good stuff xD
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 11:09pm
Jeff- I do run AC but no GFO, my macro sucks it up, and what little is left is taken out with water changes. I do overskim quite a bit, and I'm sure that it greatly contributes to the lack of excess nutrients. I feed 2x daily mysis, brine, cyclopeze, oyster eggs, krill and emerald entree in fairly good sized portions (I have some large fish). Luckily between the huge skimmer, 4" oolitic sandbed in the display and larger refugium, for the most part the tank is able to compensate for the larger bioload. Also as soon as my Zero Edge is finished it will be plumbed into the system. It will be housing my Frogfish, some corals, and a half-dozen or so Mangroves which will even further reduce my nitrates.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic