Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

55G Sumpless

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 55G Sumpless
    Posted: July 21 2010 at 12:10pm
Ok so I'm seeing with my 20G that I didn't do enough research and that I kinda rushed into it. I know it is easier with a sump but I only have a limited space to store a tank(tank/sump) I have looked into a few things and here is what I have so far.
A 55g tank off Ksl or here to help save some money. I'm gonna use two Koralia 3's and one Koralia nano, so that by its self would be 1960GPH. I also have an old canister that I would probably run single carbon and the other two trays of white diamond or some other nitrate/nitrite/ammonia remover. I will probably use the livesand that I do have in my 20 plus get a few buckets work or utah sand. Id probaly get a 40-50lbs of LBTR. The things I'm not sure about is lighting. I'm thinking T5's because they seem to work really good in most peoples tanks. I would probably look for a 4bulb t5 system. I'm sure that alot of things are missing so any help would be appreciated.
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 1:53pm
A 4 tube T5HO would work great for this tank. That's what I use on my 55g frag system and it supplise plenty of light for SPS. I don't run a sump or skimmer on my system just keep up with your monthly water changes and you should be fine. Once it becomes established and your corals grow out you may need to dose Alk and Calcium to keep levels up. Mine did fine with water changes for about 9 months but then as the SPS started getting larger I have had to start dosing with BRS 2 part to satisfy the demand. I am considering adding a Kalk reactor to automate the process of adding Alk and Calcium.

Good Luck.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 2:57pm
There is nothing wrong with going sumpless. My 125 is approaching the 3 year mark, and it is sumpless

Canisters work fine, I have one and run carbon in it, but that's it. I do use AllFlow Freedom Skimmer which sits inside the tank though.

And T5's are awesome!
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 3:57pm
I made myself a check list as I went along. Before I added water or anything I reviewed it several times to be sure I had my bases covered
Tank
lights
heater
powerheads
live rock and live sand are the biggest part of your filtration
test kits
buckets

as I made my list I would come across something that I'd forgot. I tried to envision my system running to ensure I had what I needed. going with a sump has many other parts.

BTW my 30 gal. is sumpless too. 5 1/2 months so far so good!
I just have a HOB filter with pad and occasionally carbon. Contemplating a skimmer.

When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 4:52pm
So I might have found a 55g tank, and now I'm just gonna look for the stand and power heads. I am also gonna draw up a diagram of what I'm wanting to do with the setup. So does anyone know a cost friendly t5 setup.

Edited by rwccomptech - July 21 2010 at 10:37pm
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 11:34pm
What would be a low cost T5 lighting system?
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 12:15am
Drs Foster and Smith (.com) have some pretty good pricing. Also check Marine and Reef(.com). But you are looking at a few hundred bucks. Explore all your options!
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 1:03am
Aquatraders has a great little T5HO setup for cheep. The older units weren't much good but the new ones have advance ballasts and work great. You will probably want to upgrade the bulbs within 6 months though as thier bulbs aren't the best but it's hard to beat the price.

Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 1:22am
I'm looking on that site, and how big of a difference would I notice between PC an T5HO
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 1:26am
For the small price difference T5HO is the way to go. You can get good coral growth using PC's, I have them on my Nano and they're OK but I love my T5HO's on the frag system. The colors really pop with good T5HO Tubes.
Burt

[email protected]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 1:33am
Ok sweet
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 8:30am
My last 5 tanks did just fine without a sump/Refugium. They had no external filters of any kind. The filtration was the four major filtration components listed in the thread linked below in my signature line. Some Pics are also at the end of the Tips and How to's section of that thread. Smile

I have plenty of Oolitic sand and LBTR if you want the best quality stuff and/or don't want to go looking for it.Star

Edited by Mark Peterson - July 22 2010 at 8:42am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 11:18am
Sweet, thats awesome
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 12:06pm
I'm thinking about that light from aqua traders, i think it would be a sweet addition on a 55

Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic