Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is this stupid?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is this stupid?
    Posted: July 21 2010 at 6:12pm
To run a kalk reactor by ph? Seems like I would be able to keep my ph wherever I wanted.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 6:17pm
Do you mean controlling the reactor based on the actual display tank pH?
- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 6:20pm
Yes and the sump ph. I have 2 probes running and I think I could do a program that would average them out. Everyone run kalk at night to keep their ph up and I started to think about this. (I'm old and need things to think about) lol
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2010 at 7:21pm
No not at all.  I think that's a very good idea.  That will keep your pH in check.  But be careful.  There will be a latency between the Kalk being added and when your pH hits the numbers you want.  Also, you don't want to use the pH probe in the sump to get your readings as that will get a high reading and shut off your Kalk before your whole tank adjusts gets the pH level.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2010 at 9:19am
Why does it seem that I am often going against the general flow of how most other people think?Confused

Anyway, here is my opinion:
To use Kalkwasser for the purpose of raising pH is unwise, IMO.
The worst case scenario would be a pH probe/setup failure in the wrong direction, dumping so much Kalkwasser that it nukes the tank. What failsafe could be designed to prevent that catastrophe?

IMO, Kalkwasser should be viewed as just an "okay" and only mediocre method to supplement Alk and Ca in the top off water. Topping off only during the dark hours has the added benefit of helping the Refugium to keep pH up at a time when the tank is most vulnerable to the effects of low pH. The period of time when the display is asleep and photosynthesis has stopped.

As convenient as automation is, there is no substitute for the hobbyists task of visually checking both the appearance of the tank and the Alk and Ca levels with manual testing.

IMO, a better and much safer method would be to manually adjust the amount and speed of Kalkwasser top-off each night. Then, using automation, enable shut off of the Kalkwasser dosing system, when the pH probe senses pH > 8.4. The float valve or solenoid would keep the top-off system from exceeding the maximum water level.
I would place the effluent from the Kalkwasser system at the return pump or directly in the display.

That's my 2 cents. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic