Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xenia Sores

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xenia Sores
    Posted: July 24 2010 at 2:25am
Hello well recently i started to find what was causing my xenias to die off. they started healthy but after a few weeks they started to grow this clear sore like they were filled with water and started dying. After a week the xenia stalk next to the one with sores it started to fill with this type of sore and started to shrink and look they will eventually die. They only healthy ones are the one on the opposite side of my tank. Apparantly this is only happening to the xenias close to this ones. Has anyone experince this?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 1:41pm
My first thought is that it is a reaction to something upstream from them. What coral are upstream? Aleopathic chemicals can irritate and even kill.

A clear sore causing a blister sounds exactly like a human allergic reaction to a sting, where the insect or spider pumped irritating chemicals into the skin. I'm not saying there was a sting, but Coral react to everything in the water.

On the other hand, I'm not saying it wasn't a sting. Have you viewed the tank at night with a very dim flashlight?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2010 at 2:20pm
Allergic reaction i see now it makes sense. the only thing close to it is a leather hand and fish bumping into them. i did move them alot when i introduced to the tank and i remember them hitting other corals along the way. I guess they are more delicate than i thought. thx Mark for this information
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 25 2010 at 8:12am
Upstream does not necessarily mean the coral are close together. Even a coral two feet away from another can cause a problem if water flow and placement is just right. Think of it as fumes coming out of the bathroom and down a breezy hallway.Ouch 
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic