Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is this?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is this?
    Posted: August 02 2010 at 3:20pm
I got this off of a scolys. I was told by a LFS that they got a shipment in full of bad parasites and to check the bottom of all my corals. Does anyone know what this is? Sorry for the bad picture it was taken with a crappy phone.

jonafriendj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonafriendj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 5:12pm
Kinda hard to tell from that picture, but maybe some sort of peanut worm?
Pleasant Grove
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 5:35pm
Where did you pick that up? What store?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 5:43pm
It was on the back of several Australian corals that were bought I don't want to say the store here on the forum but I will pm it to you.
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 6:14pm
Thank you! Did you dip before you put them in your tank?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Jeremyw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeremyw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 6:20pm
Yup always dip
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 02 2010 at 8:10pm
looks wrong lol i heard this guys are harmless
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 12:07am
It's no peanut worm, it looks like it has a hard shell.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2010 at 9:59am
It is either a Vermitid snail or a Feather Duster Worm. Both are good. No worries mate. Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Pet Store
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 1:02am
I don't think it is a Vermitid snail or a Feather duster worm by the look of the picture Mark, I still have no idea what it is Jeremy sorry buddy.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 9:09am
By the look of the picture compared to what I have seen, it is most likely a Vermitid snail. Please realize that identification cannot be made by just looking at the tube. In order to go further, we would need to know what comes out of the tube.Smile Disneymania may have thought it was one of the "bad parasites" the LFS warned about so may have removed and destroyed it. Did the LFS describe these parasites?

For what it's worth, please try to understand that 99% of the types of things we find in our tanks is not bad. But I will go even further to say that 99% are not simply harmless, but are actually a good and necessary part of the living environment of our little slice of the sea. That other 1% helps keep the 99 in line.Big smile

I can say with 100% confidence that the invertebrate that lives in that tube is not a bad parasite. Big smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 08 2010 at 9:17am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic