Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Andy's 40 gallon breeder build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andy's 40 gallon breeder build
    Posted: August 07 2010 at 8:51pm
As some of you know I crashed my 100g this left me with a lot less coral I have been thinking of downsizing for a while but didnt want to part with some of my corals well I solved thatShocked

Here are my plans so far I am building my own stand it will be black with an antique look

Lighting 6x36 t5 I am goint to go with Ryans advise and try ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500k
KZ New Generation
ATI Blue Plus 's

flow 2 3/4 nozzles with eductors using a scwd with 1 or 2 powerheads (eventually plan on mp10)overflow will have a coast to coast with bean animals overflow design

skimmer will be temperally a aquac remora soon to be diy something havent thought about it much yet

Edited by sanddune600 - August 09 2010 at 6:57pm
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 11:03pm
I like the load out of your setup.

I have a 40 Breeder too and I love it.  Deep enough to have some nice depth but not too tall to work in.

For flow, I am using a single MP10.  I have it set to random reef and I love the ebb and flow inside the tank.

I have only one return it's a 1 inch return stepped down to 3/4 for the locline disperser.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 11:41pm
what else are you using with your mp10 do you think its enough or do you have other powerheads in the tank what kind of pump are you using for your return

Edited by sanddune600 - August 07 2010 at 11:42pm
Andy Jorgensen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2010 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by sanddune600 sanddune600 wrote:

what else are you using with your mp10 do you think its enough or do you have other powerheads in the tank what kind of pump are you using for your return

I'm using a Mag 3 as my return pump, anything else I'm hearing a roaring waterfall.  I tried a Mag 7 and that was too much flow.

I have nothing else in my tank but the MP10.  My goal was to have no other device in the display tank.

My MP10 goes up and down in flow from 200 to 1575 gph.  I have it on Reef Crest mode.  That's gives me a max 37.5 times turn over, not including my 300 GPH from my sump.

Everything is waving back and forth with nice extension.  I don't believe I have any dead spots.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 12:02am
I may need to rethink my return pump it will be a ehime 1262 feeding my skimmer with it to but i have the pump and am going to try it and see if its to much flow
Andy Jorgensen
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 2:58am
The setup looks really good to me.

There is one major area where I wish I could redo my tank and the is the overflow. I wish I would have gone with something small in the corner and hidden. As is it is way too big and I lost 4" of depth! There goes the reason for the 40 breeder, DOH!

I run one MP10 as well and love it but definitely want a second. Even on full blast it can really only move water 28-30". After that there is a major drop off in flow. I added my Koralia 1 to the back corner of my tank as I could see some stagnant areas.

I will be buying a second MP10 when I get the chance.

I am using a Quiet One 2200 as my return and have it way throttled back. It is maybe pushing around 200gph right now. Any higher and I get a nice sand storm with the way my return is setup.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 9:10am
thanks for the imput Ryan I wonder if I can make my coast to coast only 1 inch wide and instead of putting on 90's on the bulk heads I can build box's around the bulk had that directs water where I want it this does make those spots hard to clean
Andy Jorgensen
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 9:48am
Andy have you thought about doing an external overflow box?
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 2:44pm
that is another good idea now I dont know what I am doing will have to do some research its always good to put a tank build idea up and sea what people see wrong with it from personal experience
Andy Jorgensen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2010 at 3:14pm
I have been working on the stand I know its slapped together and all croocked but I think it will be nice once I get it glued should be as straight as an arrow

Andy Jorgensen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 9:33pm
got the stand glued today now I just need to finish it

Edited by sanddune600 - August 10 2010 at 9:34pm
Andy Jorgensen
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 9:41pm
looking good!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 10:35pm
I love my external overflow on my 40 breeder. I would recommend them to anyone.
Some day, when I grow up,...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 10:47pm
any chance you can get me some pics I am still not sure how I am going to do my overflow
Andy Jorgensen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 10:14pm
I ran into my first road block today I had a friend lined up to drill my bulk heads but he cant find the bit now if I dont find someone with one I will have to order one and wait for it to be shipped this might slow me down for getting the tank running at the end of the week
Andy Jorgensen
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 11:13pm
You could probably run it down to Aquatic Dreams and have them drill it... Not a great solution...
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

skimace7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skimace7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2010 at 11:39pm
looking good... Ben has a pretty good idea about aquatic dreams it would take a couple of hours but it is better than a couple of weeks... I would for sure call first to let them know you are coming if you decide to go that route.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 12:34am
If you order from Glassholes, I believe you can get your bits by Saturday.  I've ordered from them and they have great customer service.

I would loan you my bits but they are already out and about with another reefer.  Sorry.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 7:33am
tcfab is going to drill it a little closer then aqautic dreams I thought about that I was going to call them if I didnt get a response looks like I am taken care of
Andy Jorgensen
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 3:51pm
This is going to be such a sweet tank!
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic