Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ECOBAK Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ECOBAK Journey
    Posted: August 09 2010 at 7:44pm
I will be starting ecobak in the morning and doing pic's so people can learn.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
chosen1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chosen1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 8:34pm
I wish I had documented as I went with pictures. What are you using for flow?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 9:31pm
I will be using a modified brs reactor with a maxijet 1200 for flow. I will put pic's up tomorrow.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2010 at 11:09pm
where did you get them
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 7:02am
From Jon at warner marine. You have to call him or email
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 2:04pm
BRS reactor ready to go but needs a little mod before it can be used for ecobak.
This is the inner cylinder that needs the mod. It is what will hold the ecobak
These sponges need to be removed
And replaced with these plastic grilles which you can buy at the hobby shops. They can be bought in all sizes and are normally used for cross stitch. Got mine at joanna's on 33rd. so. and 1300 east. $2.00. You will need 1 for the top and bottom! cut to size with sissors.
Here is the ecobak soaking in r.o. water for a minimum of 2 days until floaters are gone!
This is about 1/2 a liter which is rated for 100 gallons.I believe the cost is around $30.00.
More to come today

Edited by bugzme - August 10 2010 at 2:45pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 7:24pm
Ok guys! Enough pictures!! As most of you know I don't have a problem with nitrates or phosphate but I am doing this so I can build my bacteria up so I can have more bioload and feed what I want when I want. I have now loaded up the inner piece of the BRS reactor and set it in my sump right next to the skimmer inlet. Hopefully it will stop the bacteria bloom from clouding the tank. I always think there is a better way and I'm going to try it.
Ecobak can be run in a filter sock and it will help your levels but the best way is to use a reactor so what I'm trying to do is build up the bacteria and then use a reactor to add the necessary bacteria to the tank. Please comment 2 or three heads are better than 1! (for sure in my case)
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 9:16pm
Is there a special way this has to be run in a reactor?  Like does it need alot of flow?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2010 at 9:44pm
Just needs to tumble
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 5:43pm
I know there are a few people in the club that have started this before me. Please share with the rest of us!!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2010 at 5:50pm
I haven't tried it, but I'm always open to something that works.  Keep us posted Jeff.
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 11:21am
Hey Jeff,

Glad you're up and running with the stuff.  I started about a week ago and am using just a filter sock.  I shake it every few days when I clean out my skimmer.  My skimmer is pulling a lot more stuff out after I started this so I believe it's pulling the bacteria out.  But I'm still getting the bacteria bloom, probably because it isn't in a media reactor.

My water params were at 0 already but like you I am looking to up my feeding.  My breeding clowns need more chow.

btw, the frogspawn I got from you is amazing.
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 11:25am
How long did it take for the skimmer to startup? I have no extra skimmate yet but only been 3 days.
Glad the frogspawn is doing well
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2010 at 11:33am
I believe it was day 3 or 4 for the skimmer to fill faster.
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 10:53am
How cloudy does the water get thinking of trying on a froends tank at his office to stop some cyano on the sand
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 11:43am
Guys on RC said they saw great improvement in 30 to 45 days.  The cloudiness clears up in about up to 72 hours depending on the amount used and tank size. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 10:43am
FYI, I got a cyano bloom going on.  I haven't changed anything so it could be related to the pellets.  But it looks like it's already dieing down.
AquariumGuy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AquariumGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 7:57pm

Jeff

I have also been doing a bit of research on this and have decided to use the Warner marine ecobak pellets. I talked one of our reps into sending me this reactor for free to try it out. http://www.nextreef.com/solidreactors.html. I thought I was reading an article that mentioned back flushing the bio pellets while in the reactor to help release the mulm back into the skimmer department in a higher quantity... any thoughts would be appreciated 

�A black belt only covers two inches of your ass. You have to cover the rest.� - Royce Gracie
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 6:41am
I haven't read anything about back washing I'm going to go read some before I comment alot  but it sounds like a good idea to me. ( nice reactor)
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 9:10pm
cyano disappeared.  Ok, maybe still a patch, but it's off of the lr.

My water is crystal clear and my skimmer has calmed down.  Much clearer than before.

N02/N03 is zero, PO4 is zero.

My macro is showing slight whiting on the tips.

Everything is growing and looking much better.    Better color due to more light into the tank.  Polyps extend further and my zoo's are growing buds faster. 

I dose coral frenzy and feed enriched brine cubes once a week.  (yea, I managed to get a lot of frozen brine cubes).

How's yours Jeff?

Edited by sterling18 - August 23 2010 at 9:19pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic