Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

newbie question.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Edgar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: newbie question.
    Posted: August 13 2010 at 6:28am
 hi everyone my name is Edgar i am new to SW i have a 20 gal tank that i been having fun with for the last 4-5 months, but just like everyone in this hobby, i got the need to go bigger so i decided to build a new system! i been thinking of building a 60 gal thank with a 55 gal sump/refugium and i really need all the help that i can get since i want to build most of the system myself of course with you guys help! and of course the first thing that iam going to start with is the main tank! i been reading some of the DIY treads on how to build a thank but i still have some questions! My first question is, If i want to build a thank that measures  44'' long x 13'' deep x 25'' tall, what measurements should i get the glass panels if iam planing on the glass thickness to be 3/8s and do euro braces on top and bottom?

Edited by Edgar - August 16 2010 at 7:12am
Thanks for not going off on me!
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 10:04am
Welcome.

The dimensions you are looking for in your custom tank are similar to a standard 60 gallon.  Are you looking to use Starfire glass on this otherwise it might be just easier and cheaper to buy a 60 gallon and drill it.

Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 10:39am
You might want to start a "tank thread" and that way you can ask questions all along the way and shows a nice progression of your build.
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Edgar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 11:13am
the reason i chose those dimensions is because i am going for this look!
a pic is worth a thousand  words!
Edgar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edgar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2010 at 11:18am
The picture above is my 20 gal thank! which iam getting replace with my new project, thats why i need the dimensions i posted earlier!
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:29am
Personally I applaud you for wanting to build your own tank. But it scares me at the same time. Ive seen enough self built tanks fail to keep my from doing it. I think Chad and Cory have built their last tanks. Chad has built several that have been outstanding. They will be a  awesome resource. Or if you decide to have one custom built, I can have one built for you.
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic