Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Params off?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Params off?
    Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:09pm
So I moved everything from my 60g tank into the 120g. I got live sand, live rock from Dan with tons of pods in it. Waited a couple days to move my corals checked params and all were in line so I moved my stuff. Now everything looks really bad!
Here are my params, do I need to do a water change?
Calcium- 380
alk- 7.84
PH 8.0
ammonia 0.3
phosphate - in between 0 and 0.25
Nitrate-5
Nitrite- 0.1
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:33pm
 I don't think anything is horrible. Might be going through a small cycle. Keep your ph up and keep testing. Make sure you have r/o water to do a change if you need to. Did you add new sand?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:37pm
No I added all live sand do I need to add some new sand?
I think I may be loosing all of my LPS they look awful and I think I can see all their skeletons, I am pretty upset:(
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:38pm
Do a large water change now! 20 gallon
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:39pm
Better to be safe.  No you don't need to add sand.

Edited by bugzme - August 14 2010 at 2:40pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:56pm
What is the salinity and temp?
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 2:58pm
Salinity is at 1.024 and temp is at 78
Jackie Stuver

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 3:08pm
I run my salinity at 1.026 Ish. Whenever you disturb a sand bed you will have spikes and cycles occuring
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 5:39pm
So looking at my brain coral pic in my 120g build post does it look dead? Should I pull it out?
Jackie Stuver

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 6:43pm
Corals can recover even when they look completely dead, so that's a tough call without seeing it. 
Ammonia is a little high.
You might try a water change of about 10-20% and an ammonia binder. I think Prime works well. And then just leave things and don't feed for a few days to a week. Test twice a day to make sure it doesn't get worse.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 7:10pm
Thank you:)
Jackie Stuver

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:37pm
my corals did fine after i went a mini cycle my self on my nano aquarium. my nitrite were at 2 and ammonia at 1 my fish did not make it though. what was weird though they still bloom during the cycle. i had lps and softies. still a mystery to me
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2010 at 9:44pm
Yea I lost all my LPS they all turned white:( Fish are still doing great. Did the water change and it helped a bit then I went and got new carbon, and new filter socks changed the water running through the sump and things are looking better. Hopefully I can save the rest of my stuff even though its all just softies at this point:(
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 10:44am
Even just a little Ammonia can cause big problems. Begging your pardon, I have to say I am surprised that nowhere in this thread was there any mention by anyone of the easiest and most effective way to deal with an increase of pollutants caused by all the newly added life that is dieing off. With all the supposed new technology and new gadgets, evidently many hobbyists are still in the dark about the most important knowledge of keeping an aquarium: biology and biological systems.

Simply leave all the lights on 24 hours/day and add more Macroalgae(Chaeto seems to do the best) for as many days as it takes. This will do the job of as many water changes.

Feel free to call me any time.

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 15 2010 at 12:18pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 12:21pm
wow i am sorry to her about your loss jackie that really sucks... i am actually in the process of moving all my stuff to a bigger tank and i am worried the same thing will happen. i read a bunch of threads on rc about this same thing everyone was saying to not use the same sand cause by stirring it up it causes alot of die off. which sucks cause i really like my sand and was planning on using it again. well scrap that idea i would rather play it safe i would be super depressed if i lost my fishy friends
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 12:46pm
Posted this in your other thread:

Did you wash the sand when you did the move? If you didn't that's probably what happened. You get pockets of nastiness that when mixing up the sand can release nitrates, ammonia, and all sorts of badness. Usually you want to wash all the sand thoroughly if you are going to reuse it and then just seed it with a cup of live sand.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 1:53pm
I've moved tanks without washing the sand. As long as the sand isn't saturated with detritus I think it's optional to rinse the sand while moving. 

It's always best to move everything slowly. Sand first and alone, except for macro algae. Like Mark said, macro algae can make all the difference.
wickedsnowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wickedsnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 3:54pm
hey jwoo when you say you rinse it how do you go about doing that do let it dry out after or just rinse it and add it to the tank
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 3:58pm

Mark settle down! Gadgets are great and so is your macro but we were trying to save some of Jackies corals in the best we knew how!

Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2010 at 6:48pm
You CAN move a tank without rinsing the sand and be fine, although IMO it's dangerous. From what I read not only did she move all the sand but added more sand which would mix all the old and new sand up thus disrupting the sand bed. If she had an denitrification going on in anaerobic areas of the sand bed it would have this effect. Hindsight is 20/20 though and I think she's done everything I would to get the tank healthier. I would also try Marks suggestion because anything will be beneficial at this point

wickedsnowman: I just use two five gallon buckets. I leave on empty and one with about half sand. Fill the one with sand up about 3/4 with water and mix it all about. I use a lid that has holes in it as a strainer. Dump the water through these hole into the empty bucket. Then repeat the process till the water coming out is clear. You'll also notice that the sand doesn't stink anymore. When you first move the sand the smell may overwhelm you. I don't wait for it to dry, once it's clear you can put it in the tank. You will get some diatoms as the sand reseeds but it should be minimal if you already have full live rocks. Also you really only need to do this to sand that has been in a tank and started getting anaerobic zones (not say live sand in a bag)
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic