Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rimless Build

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rimless Build
    Posted: August 17 2010 at 1:05pm
So this is probably going to take me a few months to start up but it's something I think will look really good. Gonna do all the research now that way I dont try to cram it in later. So I'm thinking about doing a rimless build and was wondering if I would be able to mod the tank and take the rims off or if I need to buy a rimless tank. Also I'm thinking of doing anywhere from 29G-55G Just because those are the sizes I would think to be most stable (correct me if I'm worng) after removing the rims. What purpose do the rims have other thank putting a hood or a cover on the tank. I dont really like the cover I think it holds the heat in too much. This discovery to me was last summer when I still did fresh water, and I had my Kenya Cichlids. Any precautions I would need to take? Has anyone ever modded a tank like this before, and if so did you have any problems. Another thing, what are the benifits of having a sump vrs not having one? I havn't had any problems with not having a sump on the 20GXT or the 10G I have right now. They were both pretty stable and the params dont fluctuate that I've noticed. So go ahead and give me your thoughts.
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 1:17pm
The trim ring on tanks are not just for looks. The actually do A LOT to support the tank. Also the glass edges under those braces is not that pretty. Rimless tanks are built to be rimless, they use thicker glass, structurial silicone not just plain old AGA silicone and they also have a bottom eurobrace around the bottome glass. Your best bet would be to either build a tank or have one built so that it is safe and you don't have to worry about it failing
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 1:24pm
Ok, so so far its looking like rimless isn't gonna work so much
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 1:33pm
You can build one yourself and save some money, but if you have never built an aquarium I would not recommend a rimless for your first try.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 2:07pm
Out of glass?
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 3:09pm
Sumps are benefial

1. Adds more volume to your water. Meaning if something goes wrong there is going to be less severe without having one.

2. Hides equipment. I have all of my equipment running on the sump meaning that the tank looks better.

3. Grow Beneficial Organism. Like copepods, amphipods etc, they are less likely to be eaten where there is no predater.

4. Refugium. Although this can grow on HOB or in the tank directly this will add security to your copepods and it will grow better a Sump provided with enough roo.

Sumps look challenging if you decide to build one but i think it will be easier to get a used one with all of the plumming supplies, thas the only reason i got one.
Hope this helps
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 3:39pm
Out of glass yes. Acrylic is going to be the same though minus the bottom eurobrace. Acrylic you will have to use thicker material on a rimless as well
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2010 at 4:43pm
I'm considering building a rimless tank as well, 54"l x 24"w x 19" tall (of which 1" will be lost to bracing and the bottom panel), just for info I planned on using 12mm starfire glass for it just to help prevent bowing down the long edges.  Also realize that you'll need to use clamps etc to make sure it's square as it dries and it will take a few days to get it put together.  

Good luck with it if you go for it, post pics up.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic