Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SPS Dying help! (A Explanation & Lesson)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SPS Dying help! (A Explanation & Lesson)
    Posted: August 22 2010 at 2:03pm
Help!  Not sure what is going on, but got home from vacation...all corals are fine except for two....my pulsing xenia is all bubbly and is almost shrunk to nothing....however, I could care less about it....one of my acro's looks like it is literally peeling by the hour!  What should I do?  I did a 10% waterchange, and added carbon.  Should I frag off any part that is not flaking?  It is one of my favorites....the only thing I did differently before leaving on the trip was move it a little higher up....but this is not bleaching, it is literally flaking away!  All other sps, lps, fish, anemone, etc. are fully extended and doing well.....I need help....is there a way to salvage any of it, or should I just let it be? Move it lower?  I took out the xenia just now because maybe it was releasing some toxins?? 
Here is a pic, if it helps!

Update:
Been super busy with school starting up again, but thought I'd include some pics of what REALLY happened.....the day before I got back from Vacation.

my uv sterilizer adapter literally blewup.....how?  I know not....I didn't see any water leaking.  From the melting/explosion/friedness, it blew a breaker for almost a day and a half, which resulted in the tank getting extremely warm....no fans running to keep cool, since power was out.  I guess I am lucky no fish died, only one coral was lost, and that my place didn't catch on fire......lesson learned?  Not sure, since I don't know what caused it....perhaps my surge protector was faulty? There is a couple more pics at the end of this thread....the wall is loaded with this black soot stuff from the explosion....

Edited by bur01014 - August 25 2010 at 11:02pm
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 2:42pm
what are your water parameters? how long were you in vacation? Did anyone take care of your tank while you were gone?
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 3:03pm
have only tested ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate, all at 0.....gone for 6 days, I run an ato and automatic feeder, however, I still had someone come by every could days to check on things....this person said the temperature one day was high, around 85!!  However, This was the day before I got back and I got some fans on the water ASAP and is now back to 78....perhaps this temp spike caused the die off?  Is the coral a lost cause?  Should I do a fw dip or iodine dip or is it too late?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 3:15pm
I would frag it now. no dip put it down on the sand

Edited by bugzme - August 22 2010 at 3:17pm
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 3:38pm
When you frag it make sure you are well above the dead spots
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 4:23pm
x2! frag it now
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 5:40pm
Did you frag it? How are the frags doing?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 5:54pm
fragged what I could, but just arrived home after a few hours and all frags are pretty much white now....the coral is gone....within a half-day....
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 6:31pm
Sorry to hear that. Temp can really be a big problem with sps
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 7:04pm
RTN, your temp was most likely the cause. Stability is everything is the key to successful keeping of SPS.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 9:53pm
One afternoon with temp over 81 is all it takes to kill some SPS, and it's made more critical when parameters are not close to ideal.

After Temp and Salinity, Alk and Ca should always be the next things checked
. In fact, I would stop spending time on testing the N compounds. By now your tank should be at the point where the biofiltration is pretty solid and will always keep pollution under control. If N gets out of whack the majority of coral and/or fish will tell you. (one coral having trouble is not a sign of high Nitrogen levels)

And another thing, don't change anything just before going away. The movement of the coral to a spot with higher light intensity and the change in water flow both added to the stress.

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 22 2010 at 9:59pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 11:47pm
Bummer. When they go, then can go fast.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2010 at 11:54pm
Its no suprise that SPS suffered the most, its hurtful to see one die. hopefully one of the frag makes it
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 6:56am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

One afternoon with temp over 81 is all it takes to kill some SPS, and it's made more critical when parameters are not close to ideal.

After Temp and Salinity, Alk and Ca should always be the next things checked
. In fact, I would stop spending time on testing the N compounds. By now your tank should be at the point where the biofiltration is pretty solid and will always keep pollution under control. If N gets out of whack the majority of coral and/or fish will tell you. (one coral having trouble is not a sign of high Nitrogen levels)

And another thing, don't change anything just before going away. The movement of the coral to a spot with higher light intensity and the change in water flow both added to the stress.
Great post Mark! Thumbs Up
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 2:51pm
Learning from you Jeff. Wink
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2010 at 11:43pm
I have ran my tank at 84 in the past set my heaters there read somewhere that sps would grow crazy fast if I did I saw no affects either way but my change in temp went over a few days I would say it was the fast swing in temps more then the he temps imo although Mark makes a good point about water parameters + temp
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2010 at 10:25am
Originally posted by sanddune600 sanddune600 wrote:

I have ran my tank at 84 in the past set my heaters there read somewhere that sps would grow crazy fast if I did I saw no affects either way but my change in temp went over a few days I would say it was the fast swing in temps more then the he temps imo although Mark makes a good point about water parameters + temp

I was going to make this same point. My tank likes to be about 80-82 degrees. It seems to naturally hover there and I don't really see any ill effect. Plus, it would take more effort keeping it lower and for what purpose?

-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 9:34am
That's a good question.
In my experience the benefit of running our tanks at lower temperature is that less bad things can happen and if some problem does develop, it happens slower, giving the hobbyist time to correct and avoid a major catastrophe. Because of limitations on gas exchange, our tanks are not like the ocean which is constantly moving and moving a lot.Shocked

Recognizing that a lot more oxygen can stay dissolved in water at 75 than at 81 degrees, means that life can do much better in a cooler tank. I have seen the figures somewhere in the past. If I recall correctly, it seems like water contained as much as 25% more oxygen by just dropping the temperature from 81 to 75.

With hotter water, flow becomes more critical. If the water is always at 80+, when a mishap occurs and the flow stops, the life almost immediately suffocates. In a 70-75 degree environment the same mishap may not even lead to suffocation. I've seen tanks of all types of coral and fish in 70-75 degree water survive more than a day when the power went out.

The life we keep can withstand 65-80 degrees with little problem. I have to say that in Hawaii I was surprised and pleased to find that the water was at ~74 degrees. There were warm pockets of up to around 82 degree water that flowed by in the surf zone and upwellings were around 70.

It's also important to realize that all it takes is for a few temporarily bad water parameters to simultaneously combine and our little piece of the ocean is in serious jeopardy. I would not risk allowing my tanks to stay above 80 degrees.

For what it's worth. Smile

Edited by Mark Peterson - August 25 2010 at 9:39am
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 11:05pm

bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2010 at 11:06pm
please refer to original post for what really happened to my tank....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic