Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hello. I'm new here. :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Andyrewjohnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyrewjohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello. I'm new here. :)
    Posted: September 06 2010 at 1:04pm
Hey everybody, I'm becoming enveloped more each day by saltwater fish and their corals. Its Amazazing! Also very beautiful.Star

O.k, about me and my fish experience. I have never owned, cared, or raised any saltwater fish. Or any fish for that matter. My brother has a 90g tank with a great setup. He has had the tank for about a year now. Clap
About a week ago I bought a 10g tank and I have no fish. I bought the 10g tank in hopes of breeding my brothers False Perculas. They are beautiful! I've read a little about breeding them, but only on sites around the net. I've actually found very detailed info on breeding them here  http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/100887/raising-clownfish-101m and here http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/295987/breeding-clownfish .Big smile

Anyhow, I really want to get these clownfish bred. I'm looking for lots of supplies. If anybody here has any advice or supplies, I would love to hear anything you have to say.

thanks! Embarrassed

- Andrew Johnson
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 1:59pm

This hobby is very fun but also very involved. I would start with making that 10 gal tank into a reef to gain some experience with reefkeeping before trying to tackle one of the most involved parts of our hobby, the raising of fish.

Here are two threads to help you start to learn more from the locals who are trying and from the locals that have done it:

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43239

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43208

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Andyrewjohnson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyrewjohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 2:28pm
I did consider making it a reef tank, however my brother urged me into helping him breed his clownfish. He has no time to do it himself, as it does take time to raise the rotifers and algae.
He did offer to help watch and maintain the conditions of the tank for me. The 10g tank is in his house with his 90g tank.Geek

He has a 90g reef tank with about 8 or 9 fish, tons of coral, and tons of live rock.
I'm not raising my hopes at all because I've heard other stories of clownfish breeding, that haven't worked out too well. I guess it just takes time. :)Ouch
- Andrew Johnson
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 4:05pm
You are definitely taking a huge plunge! Just don't get too discouraged. Keeping a reef tank and fish is much easier than breeding them and raising the fry. That's why you don't see a lot of it happening outside of larger companies. I'd love to see someone be successful at it!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 4:46pm
The major reason it isn't being done much is that it is very labor intensive and not really worth it. Until wild caught clownfish cost a lot more, a person can't make any money at it. Even the company that was doing it here in Utah 10 years ago couldn't make money at it.

Begging your pardon, but it sounds like it would be a situation of the blind leading the blind. You have a great learning challenge ahead of you. Have you read those threads I linked above and have you found the Joyce Wilkerson Clownfish "bible"?

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 06 2010 at 4:51pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 5:44pm
Welcome Andy! If I can help you please let me know.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
sterling18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterling18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2010 at 5:50pm
Welcome.

If you're raising clowns for fun go for it. 

If you're raising clowns as a side business, I would pass.  After it's all said and done, it either at or below minimum wage when you look at your balance sheet.
Dion Richins View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dion Richins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2010 at 8:48am
Welcome to the addiction!! Been there and done that. Breading for profit is extremely difficult at best. For fun is a different story!!!
Bad "censored" Cabinets
Best quality in the valley! He is one sexy bald guy, even with out a finger!(MAC)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic