Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedPics with nicer camera

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pics with nicer camera
    Posted: September 11 2010 at 3:39pm
Hi All,

I borrowed a nicer Nikon DSLR and took some pics of my tank.  I'm still learning how to take some better pics, but here are some of my tank!  I would say my tank is about 50% complete in regards to the amount of corals.  I want more SPS, Zoa's and Ricordia.  And I just want 2 more fish, a blue spot jawfish and a flame hawkfish.  Let me know what you guys think, or any changes you would recommend!

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 4:08pm
Looks Awwesome!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Aquaristnewbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquaristnewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2010 at 4:30pm
Looks great.  It will be really cool when everything grows out and takes everything over.
150 gallon Reef
Millcreek Utah

ejcatmul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ejcatmul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 9:39am
Very well done, I am just starting out and am still in the FOWLR stage. Someday my tank will grow up like yours . I like your rock! What kind is it? Where did you get it? I think it really makes a tank look nice when all the rock is of the same origin. So far I have various types that I pick up here and there, and although good for filtration can make the presentation appear somewhat unnatural in my opinion. Make sure your blue spot Jawfish can't get loose! They are escape artist and somehow end up on the floor. Pricey fish too have to replace, very fun to watch they have such personality.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 10:46am
Thanks!  That rock is Vida-Rock.  I got it from The Aquarium.  It is artificial reef rock.  They can mold/shape it in all kinds of shapes.  I thought that one would be good for my bowfront corner tank.

Yea I have a homemade clear screen cover in place ready for the jawfish.  Big smile
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 12:20pm
cool looking how come you did not take and individual photo of the foxface? that is one of my fav fish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 12:28pm
My first round of pic taking, I didn't get any good ones.  But here are a couple.  He's my favorite right now too.  He eats so much...

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 4:08pm
The pics are all so large that I have to look at one side of each pic, then at the bottom I use the slider bar to move over and look at the other side of the pics.

The tank looks quite young and without some good LR in there it's growth will be slow. Is there much LR, LS and Macroalgae in there? A Refugium?
I would be careful not to add stuff too fast. The tank's ecosystem/biofiltration needs time to grow enough to handle the increase of livestock.

Hawkfish are huge bug eaters. You already have a fish that needs a lot of live bugs. Hawkfish also eat Peppermint Shrimp and Cleaner Shrimp. If you want to have control of any parasites, Aiptasia, etc. I would stay away from all Hawkfish.

Originally posted by ejcatmul ejcatmul wrote:

Very well done, I am just starting out and am still in the FOWLR stage. Someday my tank will grow up like yours...
Welcome to the WMAS. FYI, the idea of the FOWLR tank is kind of outdated. Did you know that coral filter the water so a tank set up with coral from the start is a much better environment for any fish. And predatory fish don't bother coral. The one possible exception is Puffers, which also tend to eat Snails and Hermits, the cleanup crew of the Reef Aqaurium. There is a lot more I could tell you, some of which I have already written and linked below.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
fish freak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fish freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 4:33pm
Just out of curiosity, what is the pump hanging in the tank used for?
120G reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 10:38am
That pump hanging in there is for a HOB protein skimmer.  A bit ugly...I wonder what could hide it...

Thanks for the info on the hawkfish Mark.  I already have the green spot mandarin that is a bug eater, so maybe I'll hold off on the hawkfish.  But my mandarin does appear healthy/chubby, so hopefully he has enough to eat.

The tank is actually 1 year old, but only with a notable amount of coral for the last 3 months.  The vida-rock is the only rock, but from what i've heard, and seen on the rock, I would classify it as "live".  I have about 70lbs of LS (55g tank).  No macro-algae, I have no sump.  I've tried adding in Chaeto or Caulerpa to the display, but my foxface just eats it all.  I may look into a hob refugium, but that would put another pump in the tank!  I will likely add another 20 lbs of sand to help further with bio-filtration.

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 5:27pm
Doh.
I just realized that the reason those pics are so large on my screen is because I was viewing everything large. This laptop has a cool feature where I can change the size of the display by moving 2 fingers together or apart on the touch pad.

Sorry, but it looks like it's only 4-5 months old. I would treat it accordingly, because it could have problems if you move too fast.
The more live stuff that is added, the faster it will mature. If it were my tank, right now I would borrow 10-20 lbs of some good mature coralline algae covered LR and keep it there for 3-4 months. This would help the Vidarock get colonized with good stuff.

If it were me, I'd swap the Skimmer for an HOB Refugium. The Skimmer is removing organic food that feeds a million inverts and algae. This would allow the tank to mature faster. A refugium has so many advatages, I can't list them all. Mainly it would help the tank mature faster.Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 5:41pm
what gives it the appearance of a younger tank?  The lack of a lot of coralline algae on my rock?

Thanks,

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 5:53pm
Everything looks too clean and no corraline. Plus the frags all look like frags. That's how you can tell. Pretty soon you'll see the frags grow out and attach to rocks and the tank will mature. The green algae on the rocks is a good sign as well.

Nice tank! Is that a red sponge?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 6:19pm
Great shots man, its amazing what one can do with a DSLR. I love the tank too, it's coming along nicely.

Micah
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 6:31pm
I guess my tank would be classified as "too young" as well. I HATE coralline algae on everything. I keep it off all pumps and all glass.

My rock is over 3 years old and I have a TON of life. The vida rock in my tank is awesome! It has taken about 3 months but has seriously colored up and looks great. I would actually do my whole tank out of Vida Rock if I was starting a new tank. Throw in 3 or 4 pieces of mature LR and let it go for a month before adding anything.

The one downfall to Vida Rock is that it doesn't have a network of tunnels in it like ocean LR and LBTR does. But at the same time I am not pulling more rock out of the ocean and certainly not getting any hitch hikers.

Chris the tank looks good to me. Polyps are out and the SPS all look happy. I wouldn't change anything too crazy. A HOB refugium and skimmer combo would go a long way. Then you only have one pump for both from what I know.

I actually had a HOB refugium on my 45 that Mark saved. It grew chaeto like crazy and did well for the tank. Now that I have a sump and a sweet skimmer, I have no refugium and no macro algae in my tank. My sump is bare and I love it!
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 6:31pm
I will try to describe what I see when I look at an aquarium. Mind you, I usually look at these things with a critical eye, but it would not be fair to you if I did not share what I see. That is, assuming you want to learn to make improvements in the health and happiness of your tank and ultimately with you.

Here goes:
Typically, by 6 months that green algae on the rock is being noticeably replaced with darker growth, not only Coralline Algae, but bacterial and other algal growth.
Typically, by 4 months there would be tiny feather duster worms and colonies of sponge growing on the rock.
Like  Ben said, the coral look all new, like they could have been set in position just last week.  Remember how, in my instructions about setting up an affordable reef tank in a week, that some coral are put in place that very first week. Coral can grow over a lot of rock in a year.
I'm guessing the red Sponge has been in the tank for a month or less because it still looks good. Give it a few more months and it won't be looking so good. Same goes for the Gorgonian, unless you have taken lessons from CapnMorgan and are spot feeding it daily.

I've probably said more than enough. It may hurt to read this. But if it inspires you to do a few things differently to benefit the tank, in the long run I figure you will be much happier with your delicious little part of the sea.Smile
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 9:25pm
IME Vida rock takes a while to color up, but once it does it looks pretty close to any LR. LBTR (the high quality stuff) looks really nice as well, when fully colored it looks almost exactly like good quality Fiji rock. As for the sponge it will need frequent spot feedings as mentioned. I have been fairly successful at keeping sponges of various types due to the fact I feed a lot. I spot feed each of my non-photosynthetic corals/sponges every other day with a mixture of oyster eggs, phyto, rotifers, and zooplankton. I also dose coralvite or fuel several times every week. The main thing is can your system process all the excess nutrients? For me it's done with a huge skimmer (easily 2-3x what my tank would traditionally need), a very large balanced cleanup crew in the display as well as a large refugium with 5+ varieties of macro, lots of LR underneath for a cryptic zone of sponge, tunicates, and plenty of crevices for pods. My refugium also has a completely separate cleanup crew of it's own made up of snails, cucumbers, medusa worm, and a couple brittle stars.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 11:01am
Thanks all for the advice.  Mark, constructive criticism is always welcome!  I am here to learn.  I was just wondering how you were able to tell that it was a younger tank.

I guess I should clarify, the tank has been setup for over a year, but yes, the vita-rock is only about 4 months old.  I did a transfer of LR to Vidarock.  I took out 50% of the LR, left the other 50% in for about 6 weeks.  Maybe I should have left it in there longer.

Plus, I've only had the HOB skimmer for about 3 weeks.  The reason for purchase was to feed more without raising Ammonia/Nitrates/etc...  However, even with the skimmer my nitrates fluctuate from 0-10ppm from week to week.  So I feel I am at the very edge of my feeding.  I would love to have a HOB Refugium/Skimmer combo.

I wonder if I can convert my Aqua C Remora Pro skimmer into a fuge as well???  Maybe tcfab has some ideas...

The best part of all this is that I just got a new job in SLC.  I have been traveling for work 4 days a week, so now I'll have time to truly baby my tank!
55g Bowfront Corner Reef

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 9:23pm
Hey all, I borrowed a nice camera again and decided to post some pics of my tank again.  It's been about 2.5 months and for the most part I think the tank looks pretty good.  There is a lot more coralline algae on my "newer" vita-rock and I've had some good growth of several corals, and slow growth on others.  Only bad problems are my sponge and my BSJ jumped out of my tank and died. :(  I have a cover on my tank but there is about 5% of it that is uncovered.  He somehow found one of those spots.

Anyways, here's some new shots!

55g Bowfront Corner Reef
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 2:53am
Nice!!  How do you keep your sand bed so clean?  Is that a tank raised cardinal or wild caught?  I like to get two but didn't do well with wild caught.

Duy
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic