Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Having Cyano... Levels okay?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Having Cyano... Levels okay?
    Posted: September 12 2010 at 9:23pm
Hey guys, Just figured I would post these levels and see what you guys think.

Calcium 420
KH 7
Phosphate: .5ppm
Nitrate 0
Salinity 1.024
PH 8.0
Temp 80

Couple nights ago noticed my long spine urchin started spawning (alot) DO you think this extra biological waste in the water is causing cyano issues? Thanks guys.

Edited by Spbeyond - September 12 2010 at 9:26pm
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 9:36pm
Could be the urchin. How much do you feed? How about photo period? Old bulbs? Skimmer?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 10:04pm
Bulbs could be old. Just started a new skimmer (new to me) runs a bit, then stops and just froths then runs. Gotta figure that out. I feel a decent about about every 4 days. Photo period about 12 hours total.

sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 10:12pm
.5 po4 is high imo do you run cheato what kind of light are you using if you do
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 10:26pm
Yeah I got cheato with some old POS light under there. Like a 24 inch power compact uggly thing.   Maybe I should swap it with the one I got from you...

Edited by Spbeyond - September 12 2010 at 10:35pm

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 11:18pm
If you need more chaeto, I just threw out a bunch and I really need to trim mine down a lot more. Let me know and you can just swing by my office anytime.

I just run a daylight compact flourescent and my chaeto grows crazy fast. I just use a clip on fisture from home depot.

Getting the skimmer to work would be a big step in beating it. You could cut down your photo period a bit to get on top of it.

Do you have a decent CUC? I need to come see your tank btw. Tongue
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2010 at 11:20pm
go to mark peterson signature it has ton of information about red cyano. increase water flow. reduce feeding. reduce lighting periods. how old are the bulbs it may be giving out the wrong spectrum. more water changes will reduce your cyano problem
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 10:43am
You do need to come see it. Anytime. Its not that impressive but anyway. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 3:01pm
Look at the dKH. It's only 7. It should be closer to 10.

Also, the PO4 level is fishy looking. That's quite high for having Nitrates at 0 and with Cyano growing in the tank I would expect PO4 to be much lower. Actually, I wouldn't worry about the PO4 but the Alkalinity is seriously low.
Where is the Cyano growing? Post a pic?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Look at the dKH. It's only 7. It should be closer to 10. Also, the PO4 level is fishy looking. That's quite high for having Nitrates at 0 and with Cyano growing in the tank I would expect PO4 to be much lower. Actually, I wouldn't worry about the PO4 but the Alkalinity is seriously low.Where is the Cyano growing? Post a pic?

7 dkh is natural sea water. Don't see how that can be "seriously" low.

I run mine at 8dkh all the time. I don't like to see mine get much below 7.5 but if it is I am not worried. Just dose some 2 part and am good to go.

I battled cyano for over a year in 2 different tanks. The culprit, Reef Crystals salt. Cyano showed up about a month into use and started going away about a month after I stopped using. To totally eliminate it out of one tank I started using Purigen. The cyano disappeared within 2 weeks and has never been back.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 7:37pm
I use reef crystals, and don't have any issues with cyano...

When I first setup my tank I had a little bit of cyano, all I did was blow out all the crevices where food and what not was getting into with a turkey baster and mine dissappeared and hasn't been back for I would say 4 months
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

I use reef crystals, and don't have any issues with cyano...

When I first setup my tank I had a little bit of cyano, all I did was blow out all the crevices where food and what not was getting into with a turkey baster and mine dissappeared and hasn't been back for I would say 4 months

I also use Reef Crystals salt and have no issues with cyano, or any nuisance algae for that matter.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 9:58pm
I didn't say Reef Crystals will cause cyano in every tank. That is just what caused it in mine. It could have high phosphates and my tanks couldn't handle it.

It is just something that most people never look at.
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2010 at 11:55pm
...Funny... as quickly as my cyano problem began it has gone. I actually did do a water change with reef crystals about a week ago. Im not sure that had anything do do with it though.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

7 dkh is natural sea water. Don't see how that can be "seriously" low.

I run mine at 8dkh all the time. I don't like to see mine get much below 7.5 but...
This is not the ocean.
The reason that problems crop up at 7dKH is because the tank Alkalinity is sitting at the bottom of the safe range for Reef Aquariums; 8-14 dKH. Running Alk closer to 10 dKH gives a wider safety margin and comfort level as well as being less prone to Cyano. Smile
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 9:59am
I. Have never heard of alk. affecting cyano can you explain why you think this
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 11:16am
My biggest problem so far with reefkeeping has been the dang dKH vs Calcium battle. Seems like if my DkH touches above 7 the calcium drops, then I fight to bring that up and the DkH drops. Am I just crazy? haha

Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 12:18pm
What's your magnesium level?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 12:28pm
No idea. I need to go over to SandDunes, he offered to test it for me. It has been better since I did a big water change actually.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 2:03pm
You are right. It's like a balance. When Alk rises, Ca falls and vice versa.

Lewy made a good observation, without sufficient Mg, proper levels of Alk and Ca are more difficult to achieve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic