Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

DIY Reef Food

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Reef Food
    Posted: September 14 2010 at 2:11am
I'm certainly not an innovator here...just trying to combine several different fish/coral recipes I've read, while adding my own touch.  Also, it's a good opportnity to clean out all the packages of frozen food I have in the freezer and combine it into one, frozen superfood similar to some well known commercial blends out there like Rod's Food.

(I feel a little guilty in using some of the ingredients in this recipe.  Kinda makes me sick to think I'm contributing to the capturing and killing of critters like octopus and cuttlefish.  One trip to the Super China market reminded me how threatened and over-exploited our fisheries and reefs are....but that's another topic for another time.)

Basically just thawed the frozen items and double rinsed them in RO Water, blended everything, put it in ziplocs, and froze it.

1 lb. Seafood Mix (squid, octopus, cuttlefish, mussels, scallops). No additives or preservatives.
1/4 lb. baby octopus
1/4 lb oysters
1 pack SF Bay Reef Plankton
1 pack SF Bay Emerald Entree
2 packs SF Bay Mysis Shrimp
1 pack SF Bay Krill
1 Pack SF Bay Multi-Pack (Marine Cuisine, Emerald Entree, Omega 3 Brine, Squid)
1 Pack H20 Life Spirulina Mysis/Brine
1 Pack H20 Life Cyclops
1 Pack H20 Life Rotifers
12.5 Grams Japanese Nori Roasted Seaweed
Handful of Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 Flakes
1/4 Cup Ocean Nutrition Formula 2 Pellets

And a dash of each of the following:

Seachem Garlic Guard
Julian Sprung's Marine Snow
Seachem Reef Plus
AquaVitro Fuel

Here are some pics:

Edited by jcom - September 23 2010 at 10:58pm
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 2:15am

Edited by jcom - September 23 2010 at 11:00pm
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 12:20pm
The Vodka for dosing?
40 gal w/ 20 sump
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 1:41pm
Yeah, for dosing my belly!  Thumbs Up
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 2:09pm
my girlfriend would NOT let me use the food processor for something like that! LOL  

would you ever consider selling some of it?  It looks like a pretty nice mix!
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 2:42pm

Other than stinking up the house for awhile, it was actually a lot better than I was expecting.  It all rinsed out nicely with hot water and then I did a good once over with a soapy scrub brush.  I did it all, start to finish in less than 20 minutes.

I may consider selling some when I get an idea of how much goes how far.  It's a nice, dark/frozen color today.  Going to start out with very small bits and see what reaction I get from the fish and corals.  My guess is that I have more than I'll ever use...probably years worth.  I'll keep you posted.
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 2:11pm
My fish and corals seem to be loving this stuff.  I'm getting good reaction from the acropora species during the day and the acans and chalices are exhibiting incredible tentacle/polyp extension during small, lights out feedings (my cardinal likes those too).
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2010 at 7:24pm
Any updates on the food? I'm tempted to try this.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

Any updates on the food? I'm tempted to try this.

Yeah, feeding it multiple times daily.  Everything goes nuts for it (fish, corals, and other inverts).  I now feel like I'm actually feeding a great, diverse, wide variety food as opposed to some flakes here, pellets there....
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 12:43pm
I went ahead and tried my own recipe. I figured I couldn't go too wrong if I added similar ingredients. I got the sea food mix (cuttlefish, squid, mussels, etc) added frozen Mysis Shrimp, Krill and Plankton and then I threw in some phytoplankton and zooplankton and some nori sheets. Got a nice smelling green goop that is sitting in my freezer. Will probably try my first feeding tonight.

I only made 3 bags, but if it goes well I think I will try adding a few more items like you did. Probably some cyclopeeze, rotifers and Fuel. Thanks for the idea! I hope it goes well tonight!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

I went ahead and tried my own recipe. I figured I couldn't go too wrong if I added similar ingredients. I got the sea food mix (cuttlefish, squid, mussels, etc) added frozen Mysis Shrimp, Krill and Plankton and then I threw in some phytoplankton and zooplankton and some nori sheets. Got a nice smelling green goop that is sitting in my freezer. Will probably try my first feeding tonight.

I only made 3 bags, but if it goes well I think I will try adding a few more items like you did. Probably some cyclopeeze, rotifers and Fuel. Thanks for the idea! I hope it goes well tonight!

Nice!  It took my fish and corals a couple of feedings to adjust to it, but on the third day or  so, it was on like Donkey Kong!  Once it got really frozen rock solid, I used my super sharp Japanese Santoku knife to grid cut it into 1/2 inch cubes.  They are perfect sized for a good feeding session in my 120G.

Edited by jcom - October 01 2010 at 4:01pm
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 4:28pm
I was thinking that this project was going to be costly, but really if you don't add a lot of additives like the Fuel, this provides a really good variety of food for a cheap price. I expect these three bags to last me quite a while.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2010 at 6:01pm
Yeah, I already had the fuel, marine snow, etc. so I just put a couple of capfuls of each in to round it out.
philhender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote philhender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Chris Scott Chris Scott wrote:

my girlfriend would NOT let me use the food processor for something like that! LOL  

I have to laugh at this, my wife is the same way.  BUT what I don't understand, it's still just seafood... most of us cook/prepare seafood in everyday pots/pans/bowls and don't bat an eye, if its for human consumption.  Guess it's all just the concept.. lol!
I asked the Lord for the blessing of Patience... he gave me 6 kids!

125g Reef / 55g Sump-Fuge
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 3:56pm
You were right about the smell. I'm glad I have a very patient wife. But the smell was gone in an hour or so. I'm going to be chopping mine up into cubes tonight.
You must have a bigger food processor than mine, I had to do it in two batches.
I can't wait to start using it.
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2010 at 5:28pm
I fed it last night and the response was instantaneous. Fish were very happy and even though the lights were on a lot of my corals started pulling out feeders. I'm very happy with it so far. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 5:39pm
Glad to hear it.  Thumbs Up
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 5:56pm
I've never seen my corals respond like that. Though I used a bit more reef fuel and marine snow to make the consistency just right.
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2010 at 10:26am
Have you thought about selling it yet.  I would be interested in maybe buying some
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic