Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WMAS @ MWRF

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Summertop View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summertop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WMAS @ MWRF
    Posted: September 14 2010 at 4:32pm
Hey, for those that don't know...
we are doing a booth at MWRF.  We are looking for suggestions on what to do at the booth.  We want it be be AWESOME.

We also want some volunteers from the the club to help staff the booth.  Most likely we will need 8 volunteers...four 2-hour shifts with two people per shift.  We may need more based on what we do.  Volunteers get free entrance into the show plus a free club shirt (must wear the shirt at the show).  Send me (or any presidency member) an IM if you are interested in volunteering.

Now...Please, lets hear your suggestions for our booth!
===========

Shawn Winterbottom
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 6:12pm
Touchpool tank!
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 7:29pm
PM SENT! I also have my frag tank I could clean up a bit and bring for the touchpool tank, it's 48x36x12, holds about 108 gallons

Edited by CapnMorgan - September 14 2010 at 10:47pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2010 at 10:16pm
How about a couple of flat screen monitors on either end of the booth with a kick butt slide show of club events, tank of the month and reef tour pics.  Give the grown ups something to do while the kids are touching the sea stars!
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 2:18am
Lighting Comparison. PC T5 LED MH same tanks same Specs and as close similiar Corals. PAR Ratings
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:49am
Love those ideas!!!!

Eco friendly tank set up??? (utah rock, sand, captive frags, captive fishes, etc)

Bucket of candy for kids?

Adam
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 11:44am
Gadgets vs. "Mark's" way (Sorry Mark, couldn't come up with another way of saying it)  to show there are many ways of setting up and maintaning a reef.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 12:14pm
What about a demo on reefkeeping on a budget since a lot of people are hitting hard times right now. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 2:19pm
I like the touch tank the best so far. My daughter is six and will be there and will LOVE it.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 8:05pm
I say go for a "total experience":

- Promote the Club name with banners / posters, etc

- Touchpool set up for the kids

- A tank setup more for adults

- Monitor(s) set up with video  loop of TOTMs, BBQ, Club Meeting photos, Winter Banquet, Reef Tour, outings to get rock / sand, BSD trip, etc - all the fun stuff the Club has done

- Laptop with internet to show off the website features / allow people to buy a Membership, etc

- Club business cards, flyers, any promo items (if we have them)

- Can we get an LFS or 2 to agree to a WMAS-related coupon or some kind of deal in time to give them out at the booth?

- A popcorn or candy give away (if the hotel is OK with having food handed out)

- I'll think a bit more and see if i can come up with anything else

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2010 at 10:31pm
That's a great idea! Maybe a demonstration of fragging, or something like that as well. I really like the idea of the touch pool, AND the "eco-tank" I have plenty of awesome quality LBTR, and could get my hands on some awesome captive raised fish.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 10:03am
I'm with Bob!!! Plus I like the whole Techy vs. Mark idea as well. There are some people out there and on this board that believe that if you don't buy the Lamborghini of systems then you shouldn't even be in this hobby! I think more people would take up this hobby if they new they didn't have to spend every last penny they had buying the top of the line techy stuff.

Edited by arthuriv - September 16 2010 at 10:23am
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 11:59am
I like all that everyone has said so far.

My thoughts:
Even adults like to touch.Embarrassed
What if we had a Carlson Surge on the display tank? Hardly anyone these days knows about that. I know, I know, that's a gadget.Wink
Whatever setup we go with for a tank, a suspended reef would also be something cool to show off.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2010 at 12:06pm
This all sounds great. I think Will should pick up on all those ideas and then assign a part of it to someone. Like Touchtank- Steve Ekins, Surge Device- Mark, Banners and Posters- Bob, Two tank setup- Lewy....

Would be way cool!

Adam
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 10:34am
I love all of these ideas.

I am planning on putting together a touch tank as the main draw to the club booth.  I could use 1 or 2 people who can help set this up on Friday (November 5th).

I am also planning to have WMAS advertising material available such as business cards and flyers available.

I would also like to see some of the other stuff happen as well, but I will not have time to put them together myself so I will need help from club members to make it happen.

Could we please have volunteers for the other projects we would like to have there. 

- Picture Slide Show.  We need someone who can gather the photos, put together the slide show, bring the equipment to show it and set it up.

- Low Tech Reef Setup.  We need someone or a team of people to set up a low tech tank showcasing how a reef can be kept on a budget.  We need someone to donate the use of their tank and equipment for the 2 days of the show as the club does not have the funds to purchase it. 

- High Tech Reef Setup.  It would be cool to have this as well to show off.  We would need someone to donate the use of some of their high tech equipment such as the tank itself, a controller, a skimmer, an advanced lighting system (T-5's, LED's of similar), a wave maker or Tunze streams, or similar, and any other advanced gadgetry we would like to showcase. 

- Posters - Anyone who would be willing to make posters highlighting things the club does, interesting topics in the reefing hobby etc.  We also need to plan a way to display these posters.

If there are any other great ideas, please post them and if possible help us find a way to make it happen.  ie. volunteer to help.

These displays will need to be set up during the day on Friday.  I believe the rooms will be open from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Thanks in advance for your help.  We really appreciate it.

Turbostud653 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turbostud653 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 11:08am
I would love to help setup a touch tank!
Here is what a customer said while on hold Oh my gosh! Did you open the door? I told you not to open the door. Dre is in here completely naked and he's got freak'n Macaroni and Cheese in his hands.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 6:56pm
I have acquired a setup to use as a Low Tech Reef Setup/Cost Effective Reef Setup.

Is there anyone who can help with the High Tech Reef Setup?
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 7:15pm
I can definitely help w/ the touch tank, I may have some stuff for the high tech reef, what were you looking for? I have a 55 gallon tank that you could use, It's not drilled at the moment but I can easily fix that before November.

Edited by CapnMorgan - September 22 2010 at 7:21pm
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 7:48pm
Steve your 55 would work great for the high tech tank.

The other equipment we would need could vary, but here is a small list of possibilities.  We would only need to borrow this equipment for the weekend. 

Equipment such as the tank itself, a controller, a skimmer, an advanced lighting system (T-5's, LED's of similar), a wave maker or Tunze streams, or similar, and any other advanced gadgetry we would like to showcase. 
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 7:59pm
Ok, I'll see what I can do
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic