Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Club PAR meter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Club PAR meter
    Posted: September 18 2010 at 12:02pm
I suggest we as a club buy an Apogee PAR meter for rent to Members only. I would bet that most people would donate $10 to buy one then get to use it for a day.

I bet you could even get Apogee to give the club a discount.

Just a thought.
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 12:19pm
Sounds pretty good. Give one to each of the presidency and when a member needs it just ask and write it down just in case

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

Sounds pretty good. Give one to each of the presidency and when a member needs it just ask and write it down just in case

There is no way the club can get that many. They are about $400 a pop.

I mean at $10 a volunteer, it will take 40 members to contribute for just one.

If we can get 2 or 3, that would be awesome!
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 4:18pm
I will definately donate!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 7:12pm
I'll donate for one too
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise
BDerron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDerron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 7:15pm
id throw 40 bucks in twoards one.
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2010 at 11:23pm
I'd donate as well
SumpCrab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SumpCrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 11:11pm
I would pay $20 per day to rent one and I think many others would as well. I am not sure how you ensure it comes back though... 
bur01014 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bur01014 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 11:22pm
Sounds like a good investment for a LFS to pick one up and use to rent out....seen this done in other states...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by bur01014 bur01014 wrote:

Sounds like a good investment for a LFS to pick one up and use to rent out....seen this done in other states...

Glad you brought this back to life!

I was going to ask what the Presidency decided on this recommendation.
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 12:05am
i would probably do the 10 if i knew what it is sorry it may sound dumb but can someone give me some info about what this is? and again sorry im new to the sw hobby maybe a year or so
It's not about what you know but about who you know
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 1:41am
PAR meters measure the Photosynthetically Active Radiation. They measure how much usable light for feeding photosynthetic animals is being produced by a certain light source.
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 9:26am
From what I know (http://www.barrreport.com/showthread.php/5437-PAR-meter-vs-PAR-sensor-from-Apogee), you can simply buy the $139 apogee sensor  (http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/quantum/sqpricing.html) connect it to a voltmeter, and multiply by 5.  If you want to track PAR across time (what many people do with these is track PAR of sunlight in a particular position across the day) then by all means get a logging meter.

Personally I am going to buy the sensor and a $3 Harbor Freight multimeter and permanently connect them and then do the math in my head.
thefu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thefu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 9:27am
Oh, and just curious, does anyone know if Apogee will be selling these at a discount at the MWRF?
Laird View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 5:02pm
Let's buy one from that company in Logan that was at the fest.
Indefinite hiatus from sw aquariums.

Once I have my glorious return I'll set back up the following.
50 Gallon rimless cube.
180 Gallons mixed reef paradise

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 5:53pm
Originally posted by Laird Laird wrote:

Let's buy one from that company in Logan that was at the fest.

That was apogee. I talked to them yesterday. While their products are awesome, the representative was terrible. I tried to get him to show me how the unit worked and take some readings of the units at the show and he wouldn't do it.

Good job selling your product apogee!
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2011 at 11:27pm
I was doing a search of PAR meter and found this thread. 

Did anything come out of this? I would definitely donate as well and think this would be extremely useful for the club. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 7:54am
I never heard a word from ANY Presidency member about this.

I have been thinking of buying one though and people can rent it from me or pay me to come take readings for them. I just don't know what a fair price is. I would definitely want a deposit that you can get back but also a daily rent of some kind.

I would hate to loan out a $150+ unit and have someone bust it. Kind of a "you break it, you buy it" motto.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 8:06am
If you bought one, and were going to lend it out for $20.... that would seem fair to me.  

Not sure if the club wants to buy one, but if anyone else here did that would be great for them.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 8:15am
Originally posted by Adam Blundell Adam Blundell wrote:

If you bought one, and were going to lend it out for $20.... that would seem fair to me.  
Not sure if the club wants to buy one, but if anyone else here did that would be great for them.
Adam

Adam you could be even richer if you lent yours out!

JK. Once I get my new lighting maybe I can have you over again. The Ecoxotic stuff should be here next week if everything goes as planned.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic