Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Club PAR meter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 4:05pm
How much are these?  I wouldnt mind buying one and renting it out if its not too much.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
BillyC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BillyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 5:23pm
Dunno but I'd rent it from ya!
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by kellerexpress kellerexpress wrote:

How much are these?  I wouldnt mind buying one and renting it out if its not too much.

$400+
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by CapnMorgan CapnMorgan wrote:

Originally posted by kellerexpress kellerexpress wrote:

$400+

Or you can buy just the sensor for like $140 and hook it up to a multimeter and multiply the number by 5.

Im actually thinking of selling my Vortech to fund a PAR meter.
go2sleep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2sleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2011 at 10:29pm
I actually have an Apogee PAR meter that I would love to let members use.  That is kind of why I bought it.  I have loaned it to a couple of people.  My problem is I live up in Idaho so I can't be in charge of loaning it out.  Maybe Aquatic Dreams would be willing to keep it.  I don't care if people use it for free.  I just need a way to know it is going to come back and in one piece.  Any ideas?
Steve
Steve
08TRDOFFROAD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 7:25am
If Aquatic Dreams would be willing to lend it out for you. They could just take a credit card payment "deposit" of the cost of the meter. If the meter comes back, the deposit is refunded to the card. If not the unit was "purchased" by the borrower and the funding would be there to replace it.

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - November 23 2011 at 7:25am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 8:40am
Originally posted by 08TRDOFFROAD 08TRDOFFROAD wrote:

If Aquatic Dreams would be willing to lend it out for you. They could just take a credit card payment "deposit" of the cost of the meter. If the meter comes back, the deposit is refunded to the card. If not the unit was "purchased" by the borrower and the funding would be there to replace it.

When I have thought about this scenario, here is the problem. Who is going to put down a $400 deposit? If someone is willing to put that kind of money down to use the meter, they might as well just buy one.

If I get one, I don't think I could trust someone with it. To begin with I would probably have to drive to their house and take readings for them for a small fee. Just enough to cover gas, some time and hopefully have the meter pay for itself.
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 9:24am
I think he meant you would have to leave your credit card information so the card could be charged if you failed to bring the meter back or bring it back damaged.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 9:52am
Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

I think he meant you would have to leave your credit card information so the card could be charged if you failed to bring the meter back or bring it back damaged.

Yeah I know that. But are you willing to really leave your card on file knowing that if you break the sensor you will be charged upwards of $400?

I just find that a huge gamble to take. Just my opinion though.
Jimbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 10:54am
Good point. I could see that leading to all kinds of headaches for whoever took the responsibility of holding on to the meter.
go2sleep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote go2sleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2011 at 8:10pm
I just talked to Ryan at Aquatic Dreams and he said he would be willing to be the one to rent out my par meter.  Probably be like a redbox thing.  There would be a small daily charge so the longer you keep it the more it would cost.  Hopefully help insure that you actually bring it back.  I'll try and get it down to him in the next couple of weeks.
Steve

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 7:14am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

Originally posted by Jimbo Jimbo wrote:

Yeah I know that. But are you willing to really leave your card on file knowing that if you break the sensor you will be charged upwards of $400?

I just find that a huge gamble to take. Just my opinion though.

No, I mean they actually swipe your card and process the "deposit" transaction before you leave the store with the meter. Taking a deposit like I mentioned is no different than what O'reilly and Autozone do when you rent a tool from them. They charge you a "Deposit" for the cost of the tool. When you return it in satisfactory condition they reverse the charge on your card.

I think it is a big mistake if you don't charge a deposit equal the cost of the meter. By taking the deposit, people will treat the meter far better knowing that if they damage it, they bought it, rather than if they are just charged a small fee and know that if they damage the meter they aren't on the hook for replacing it. I put several hundred dollars on my card every time I rent a tool (which I have done about half a dozen times), but it doesn't even worry me because I take care of them, use them the way the are intended, and return them without a problem. Same thing would go for the meter. 

I also think that you need to write up some sort of rental agreement stating the conditions of the deposit, rental, etc...that is signed by the renter at the time of rental. All of this is just to protect the owner of the meter.

If these things that I mentioned aren't done, I think the owner is just asking to get burned.

Edited by 08TRDOFFROAD - November 24 2011 at 7:33am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 08TRDOFFROAD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 7:21am
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

When I have thought about this scenario, here is the problem. Who is going to put down a $400 deposit? If someone is willing to put that kind of money down to use the meter, they might as well just buy one.

If I get one, I don't think I could trust someone with it. To begin with I would probably have to drive to their house and take readings for them for a small fee. Just enough to cover gas, some time and hopefully have the meter pay for itself.

It isn't even close to being the same thing as buying one...

All they are using the card for is collateral and incentive for the renter to show some respect and care for the meter they are renting. If they return the meter, they are charged nothing, or next to nothing in a rental fee. Nowhere near the $400+ it would cost to actually purchase one.
jmw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 24 2011 at 7:56am
go2sleep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote go2sleep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 17 2011 at 4:42pm
I just dropped off my PAR meter with Ryan at Aquatic Dreams.  If you are interested in using it get in touch with him.  I left it up to him to figure out the rental logistics.  
Steve
MIK3B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MIK3B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2011 at 10:26am
Steve - thank you for this!

It's awesome to know we have the capability to "rent" something this costly and will come in handy for folks like me that will eventually be making the switch to LED. Before and after readings or a visit with the meter in hand to someone who has LED's already set up would be great.

I think the "deposit" like the auto parts store do idea would work perfectly, and tack on a small daily fee to eventually recoup some costs and to handle the management of it also makes sense.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic