Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alkalinity, pH, and Soda

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alkalinity, pH, and Soda
    Posted: September 19 2010 at 9:40pm
I've used a bit of Mark's 4 to 1 baking soda/soda ash recipe to maintain my alkalinity, but I was wondering what each of them do on their own. Does one or the other affect pH or anything else more than the other?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 11:18pm
Because of the chemistry of it doing it's job in the salt water, Baking Soda solution will temporarily decrease pH by a point or two for an hour or two. It's not a problem though. (Good pH is very dependent on having good Alkalinity, water flow and gas exchange at the water surface. In a reef aquarium, a chemical additive should never be used to adjust pH.)

Soda Ash solution will temporarily increase pH by a couple points for an hour or two.

Combining the two in a 4:1 ratio balances the effect of each to eliminate the temporary pH effect.

One thing I like about using Soda Ash in the solution is a quick clouding effect that dissipates in a few seconds. That's a reaction with Mg in the water that quickly dissolves back into solution. This is not to be confused with the "snowing effect" which can be an indication of too high Alk/Ca levels in the tank. This snowing effect can also occur if the Alk is added too fast or if the Alk and Ca solutions are added too close together.

I hope this wasn't too much information.

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 19 2010 at 11:29pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2010 at 11:19pm
baking soda has minimal affects of lowering ph soda ash will raise ph according to Randy Homes you should use baking soda if your ph is 8.4 or higher and soda ash if your ph is 8.4 or lower

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 8:04am
Where can you buy the soda ash?

I know you can bake your own, but I'd also like to be able to just go to the store and pick some up.

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
smacky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smacky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 8:22am
Soda ash is used in dying fabrics. I got mine online a few years ago for some tie dying projects, but you might get lucky at a fabric or craft store.

If you don't have any luck at a local brick and mortar, here's where I got mine. http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1683-AA.shtml?lnav=techniques_tiedye.html
It's pretty inexpensive, and one order could get you enough for years of dosing even your huge tank.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 20 2010 at 9:16am
In the grocery stores it's called Washing Soda, but the packages I've seen are so large that, especially when it's only 1 part washing soda to 4 parts baking soda, I choose to bake a single package of baking soda.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

I know you can bake your own, but I'd also like to be able to just go to the store and pick some up.

Ace Hardware has Arm & Hammer Washing Soda for $3.79, but Wal Mart has the same sized box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda for $1.00 

So, if you have cookie sheets and an oven, you can get almost 4 for the price of 1 by going the Wal-Mart route.

Edited by jcom - September 21 2010 at 7:16pm
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 21 2010 at 7:37pm
Originally posted by jcom jcom wrote:

Originally posted by BobC63 BobC63 wrote:

Ace Hardware has Arm & Hammer Washing Soda for $3.79, but Wal Mart has the same sized box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda for $1.00 

So, if you have cookie sheets and an oven, you can get almost 4 for the price of 1 by going the Wal-Mart route. 

Like I have time to bake crap - I can barely get the time to keep the glass clean lately Embarrassed LOL

I 'prefer' to think of it this way... I think the boxes you are talking about are like the 3 lb size boxes... I'd buy 1 of the Washing Soda and 3 of the Baking Soda and mix them together... that nets me 12 lbs of Alk dosing powder for a cost of around, 7 bucks...?

$7 for 12 lbs (or $0.59 / lb) vs. $14 for 1 kg - a little over 2 lbs - (or $6.35 / lb) of  the Superbuffer dkH I currently use.

That's about a 93% cost savings, lb per lb...

Works for me. And no baking, either Wink

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
sanddune600 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sanddune600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2010 at 12:49pm
It probably costs 2 to run an oven at 400 for an hour
Andy Jorgensen
My number is four three 5 7 six four 8 0 three four
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic