Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

50 Gallon Artisan C.A.D Lighting Build

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50 Gallon Artisan C.A.D Lighting Build
    Posted: September 20 2010 at 6:55pm
Been putting things together for the last week or so, to upgrade from my current 29G Biocube to a 50G C.A.D Lighting Artisan tank. Thought I'd start a thread to show the build as it develops.

So far I have the tank, which is predrilled, 2'x2'x20" with the three viewing sides made from starphire glass. Going to use a 24" 6x24 watt ATI Sunpower fixture to light the tank. Gonnna have to open up the box to see which bulbs I ordered again, but they are all ATI minus 1 GE 6500K bulb. Skimming will be acomplished by a SWC 160 Cone skimmer. Tyler (tcfab) is building me a custom acrylic sump/refugium that should give me about 20'ish gallons under the tank. Ordered my plumbing parts today from flexpvc.com and Bulk Reef Supply today. Using all black flexible PVC pipe to give it a cleaner look in the sump area.

Will get pics up of what I have so far soon, and as the progression continues.

Edited by Snowsrfr - October 04 2010 at 7:23pm
"A fish tank is not a pet. It's a TV that you gotta feed." - John Caparulo
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 10:51pm
Your sump is almost doneTongue
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 11:06pm
Woo hoo. I need to upload pics of what I've done so far, etc, but man I'm lazy!
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 11:07pm
It's this kind of thing that gets me through my boring work nights. I can't wait to see pictures.
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 4:34am
looking forward to seeing this build!
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 4:04pm
I know there is water in that thing, where are the picsLOL

Edited by tcfab - October 03 2010 at 4:04pm
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2010 at 7:22pm
I've got a bunch of pics that need to be uploaded. It's plumbed, mixed the salt water in it last night, added sand today, and then tried to aquascape today. Just about threw the tank across the room due to the imense frustration trying to aquascape with one hand. Left handed at that! Had to just walk away.....
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 7:35pm
Here's a few pics of the progress up to this point....

Tyler (tcfab) made a custom sump that fits the stand like a glove (you may have seen these in his custom acrylic work post)

Went with the SWC 160 Cone skimmer (thanks again to Tyler for all his assistance and guidance during this build)

Got the sump all plumbed Saturday. Went pretty smoothly other than one bulkhead that just wouldnt cooperate. Had to cut it out, get new one from MSM and redo it. Went with flex hose and ball valve/unions from Bulk Reef Supply. Much easier to do with with the flex hose in a confined area like this that the reg schedule 40 white PVC.

Here's a shot of the tank from Sunday after I had mixed salt water Saturday night and added the sand. Went with Caribsea reef grade sand since I'll be running two MP-10's and don't want a sand storm from the finer sands. Lighting is accomplished by a 6x24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture. Absolutely love the fixture and the choice of bulbs (have to thank the guys from Reef Geek on my bulb choice...told them the look I was going for and they nailed it). It has a crisp white light with blue tones to it. Really makes the corals pop!

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:01pm
Can't wait to see more looking great!
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:21pm
Got the skimmer tuned in, doors on, and aquascaping done. Corals are sparse (going from a 24 to 50 makes it look like barren), and browned from being in a temp tank, and had to frag off dead pieces from getting stung by other stuff in the cramp quarters, etc. Second MP10 should be here soon, and power strips to clean up all the cables will be here soon.

Still trying to decide on a controller. Leaning towards the Reefkeeper Elite, but that changes from day to day.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:40pm
Looking good
jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2010 at 8:40pm
Looks great... nice tank, and I cant wait to see it loaded
34 Gallon Red Sea Max

29 gallon Bio cube

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 8:00pm

Sweet looking tank, love the rimless

IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 8:44pm
I love the rimless look too and the starphire glass is amazing compared to my old Biocube.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 8:54pm
where did you get your light fixture from?
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 8:57pm
It's and ATI Sunpower, and I ordered it from Reef Geek.
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 9:45pm
From the one pic you posted of the complete tank, it looks super way bright! Do you need sunglasses to look at it? lol... Im sure its just the pic, but would you mind telling what bulb selection you went with? And how do your corals like it?

Edited by Jeffs_little_ocean - October 06 2010 at 9:49pm
Life is good....right?
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 10:30pm
It is rather bright, but not sunglss bright. Poor point and shoot camera. I went with 3 aquablue, purple+, 6500K, and blue plus.

Note: I may have the aquablue and the blue plus backward. Gonna have to look at my invoice.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2010 at 10:49pm
That skimmer is pure win, I love my 120
Snowsrfr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowsrfr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 10:14pm
Got my ATO (auto top off) all set up and running. Used an old 10 gallon tank I had laying around for the resevoir. The eggcrate top to stop my 3 yr old son from experimenting to see how many hot wheel cars it will take to displace 10 gallons of water, and keep my baby girl (although just learning to crawl) from doing a header in it. I then painted it to match the walls/trim to make it a little less obtrusive to the wife.

It's a dual float system that I purchased from www.autotopoff.com. Tyler (tcfab) added threaded mounts for the Madison MC8000 float switches. Here's a few pics.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic