Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can pom pom xenia sting you?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can pom pom xenia sting you?
    Posted: September 25 2010 at 2:56pm
So the last two times I have played in my tank, something has stung my finger. The only thing I can think of, is that my new frag of Xenia doesn't like me. Is this possible (the stinging, not whether it likes me or not)?
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 5:15pm
I suppose it could, but I've never heard of that. Is that Xenia the one that I gave you? I've never had it sting me, but people react differently to different types of corals. Could be an allergic reaction to the slime they put off. I know I had a frogspawn that never stung me and I touched it all the time - I sold it to Jackie on this board and it left a huge welt on her from touching it, so anything is possible.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 5:40pm
Yeah, thats really weird. I don't have any reaction to my hammer or frogspawn, xenia.etc but every time I play with my anemone I have an allergic reaction (my arm will tighten up like I have been lifting weights)
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 6:39pm
Xenia slime gives me a rash and im sure my corals hate me becuze ive been stung by my torch and hammer many times. My anenome got me once. Im constantly getting attacked by my tomato clown (if I could figure out a way to kill the little bastard dead, i would in 2 seconds), and the other day i got 110 volts up my arm plugging in my pump with a wet hand. Im seriously thinking i need to find a safer hobby lol
Life is good....right?
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 8:38pm
I still think it doen't like you LOL       There is something in my tank I have a reaction to on the rock I have been guessing feather dusters or sponge? It is weird because it is a nuisance to track. 

I think every person with a saltwater tank should keep benadryll in the house just in case. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Epi pens require an RX or i would still have one of those too. My last one expired sigh

Edited by IcyP - September 25 2010 at 8:40pm
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 11:11pm
I guess you could have an allergic reaction to Xenia. They don't really sting though. I've never really been stung by anything. My clown used to bite me till one day I just sat there and let him bite as much as he wanted.... he gave up and hasn't bit me since. LOL

p.s. why do you keep touching the frag? I generally avoid touching my corals
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 12:41am
Ya know just the other day I was pulling out a bunch of kenya and my hand and arm starting feeling a little strange (numb and tingly). I got worried after it continued for a few hours but it eventually went away. 

I've herd some horror stories in this hobby about nerotoxins and whatever. Really we should all be responsible and wear gloves... but what's the fun in that? Then we couldn't talk about it.

Micah
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 2:03am
The only tingly feel is when i was doing maintance on my FW tank and found out that Heater was letting water inside, the only thing i hate xenias is the smell even more when you frag it
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 10:25pm
Okay so I was doing my days off maintence and realized that my stinging comes from those cursed bristleworms any chance this is a possibility for you as well?
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
BDerron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDerron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 6:57am
I could see bristle worms over the xenia, i have also read meat tenderizer is a good way to combat there sting.
superman1981 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote superman1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 11:48am
At first I thought it was one of my anemone's, but they've never stung me before.

The reason I'm playing with my xenia is because it came off of the shell I attached it too, and was stuck behind some rocks, so I pulled it out and moved it to somewhere it could grow... Since my finger started tingling, I started to wonder if it was the xenia, that's all.

I'm going to stop touching things now, I don't like getting stung
Sure you are, you are Crappy Reef Club Member #1 -Chk4tix

6 gal nanocube
65 gal build thread
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2010 at 12:07pm
I'll bet you touched a bristle worm getting the xenia out.  I don't react to them when they stick me with bristles, but it is annoying to have the bristles sticking out of my finger like a bunch of super small slivers.  

I have noticed I can touch them and not feel it, even though they will leave bristles in my skin, and I then notice when I brush the now stuck bristles against something a certain way.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
Matthew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matthew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 10:11pm
I have never had any anemone's not sting me...

+1 to Bristle worms - I get a pretty good rash a day later aside from annoying bristles
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic