Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding Pre-Cured Dry Rock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding Pre-Cured Dry Rock
    Posted: September 25 2010 at 6:01pm
So I just got my 25lbs of marco rock today, looks fantastic, but I am wondering if I should just add a piece at a time to my tank, or if I should pull one of my powerheads out of my tank and sit it in a container of either RO or salt water for a few weeks to let it cycle.

I've heard of people doing it both ways, but I wanted to make sure I don't destroy everything in my tank just by adding more rock.

Thanks
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 6:43pm
I would run it in a tub of SW for a couple of days then check for phosphates.
I added 1 or 2 pieces a week so I had no spikes at all
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 10:00pm
Awesome, thanks for the info Jeff, i'll go ahead and do that, maybe i'll just throw it in tonight and test the water on monday or tuesday

Do I need a lot of flow through the bucket, or should I just throw a 120gph hob filter on it and call it a day?
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2010 at 11:14pm
You don't need much flow. Chuck a little bit of LW from your tank to get it moving. I've heard good things about Marco rock so you should have too much of a cycle. I generally add new rock to my sump first so I can keep an eye on it before putting it in my display. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 11:11am
I beg to differ. There is no need to "cycle" it in a bucket.
Just place pieces of it in your system and watch what happens. I'm sure it will be fine.
Years ago, people had the same concerns about Utah Rock. We've found by experience that, since this stuff is clean, sterile and completely free of anything but a little terrestrial dirt, it can be placed in an existing tank with no problems. The Live stuff in the tank will handle any pollution and life will quickly begin to populate the clean rock
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 12:03pm
Better to be safe than sorry!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 2:00pm
But I do this all the time with Utah Rock. The LR, LS, algae and the entire biofiltration of the existing tank takes care of the new clean rock much better and faster than one piece of LR among a bunch of bare rock in a dark tub.
Marco rock is just like Utah Rock; Calcium Carbonate formed in the ocean then covered in dirt for centuries.
I don't mean to argue, but think about the biology of this. It's just logical.

Edited by Mark Peterson - September 26 2010 at 2:01pm
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 2:04pm
I just three in one piece. The rest is in a tub of saltwater with a hob filter just to clean any dust off. Ill see how this piece goes and then add one to two pieces every couple of days if my tank is looking good.

I would almost throw it all in if I wasn't worried about phosphates
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 2:06pm
Marco rock has been known to have phosphate issues! That's why I did what I did.
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 8:25pm
I understand.
So what did you do to remove the PO4?
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 26 2010 at 8:44pm
I tested after 3 days and it had none!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic