Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My 10 gallon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 17 2010 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

Tank looks good. Looks like you've had growth and everything is opened up. Very nice!
Thanks.Smile

Here is a full tank shot from just now right after I added some food. Can you spot my fish?
Here is a nice area with some color.
I should break out my camera for this. These pictures from my cell phone suck.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 8:49pm

Update.

I've added a hang on back skimmer/fuge. It's not the best looking additions but the pros outweigh the cons.
I've added a couple TR occellaris clowns. Also a few corals. I added some bleached rics to see if they can recover color in this light. They are bleached because they were covered in macro algae and not getting enough light where they have been for months.

Here are some pics.

Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 10:59pm
I like your macro.  where did you get it?
I like the placement of your tank, I bet the sun does lots of good for your tank.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:42pm
I'm not sure if the macro is the same as I got from Fish4U years ago. It looks slightly different and I thought that I had lost that type. Just recently I found a tiny bit of this growing and I snatched it up and moved it away from all the crabs and fish and grew it out a bit. Now I have it in my tank and a reserve in my dad's tank. I can give you a piece. I might even have Thursdays off starting soon so maybe I can get to a meeting soon.
Update: I have some cyano but I'm not worried. I think I'll just wait for it to go away as the macro grows. I hope to get better pictures up soon.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 1:38pm
This one shows the area with cyano.
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by MadReefer MadReefer wrote:

I'm not sure if the macro is the same as I got from Fish4U years ago. It looks slightly different and I thought that I had lost that type. Just recently I found a tiny bit of this growing and I snatched it up and moved it away from all the crabs and fish and grew it out a bit. Now I have it in my tank and a reserve in my dad's tank. I can give you a piece. I might even have Thursdays off starting soon so maybe I can get to a meeting soon.
Update: I have some cyano but I'm not worried. I think I'll just wait for it to go away as the macro grows. I hope to get better pictures up soon.
I would very much appreciate a piece and the meetings are a perfect place to meet.  I think your plan with the cyano is good.  Let the macro eat up the nutrients and flow really helps too.
40 gal w/ 20 sump
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 9:31pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 2:21pm
I have syphoned some of the cyano out. It doesn't seem to be changing much on its own, so I had to take some action. Corals and macro are growing. Fish seem to be happy.Thumbs Up
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 3:15pm
Looks great! Love the simple setup!
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by jwoo jwoo wrote:

Looks great! Love the simple setup!
Thanks Smile
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 10:55pm

Just an update about my chaeto and fuge light. The cheato has quadrupled in size and I've had to remove two handfuls already. I guess that it means it is working. I hope it's worth it running it at a reverse daylight photoperiod because it looks worse because I want to keep the light separate. Because the area in the fuge is so small I had to find a very small light bulb for it.

Also, I fragged a coral to see how it grows in here. Considering it's another easy grower I'd expect it does fine. But this birdsnest has taken on many colors with different lighting so it might be interesting.

Edited by MadReefer - November 07 2010 at 10:56pm
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 2:26am
I've seen a lot of these. There must be some places to hide in the middle of the big rock added.
These are growing very fast.
Here are some new coral that I don't expect to grow fast but I'm excited to see how they do.
Full tank shot. I just fragged some caulerpa and will be offering the pieces up for sell in a week if they do well.
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 10:35am
what are those lights that you are using?  and how much did you pay for them?
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 12:43pm
I picked them up at Costco when they had an extra discount that made them $1-1.5 each, or maybe less. I might be off on this price but I know I thought wow, that's cheap, let's get a few. It is in a package of six and they are just daylight color spiral compact fluorescent bulbs that use 18 watts with 6500K color temp. They can be found anywhere. Because of the spiral shape the bulbs were kind of hard to get into place even though they are a smaller size than some.
I've been tempted to get some 50/50 Coralife bulbs to replace these for a more blue color. But to start I was just seeing how well these would do.

backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 10:50pm
thats awesome.  i am looking at making my own tank and want to do everything inexpensive as i can.  and usually lighting is the most expensive part.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:12am
I think this is getting better color.
A month ago.
Today
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 1:13am
Still these look better in person.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 2:21am
kay181 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kay181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 2:45am
Thumbs Up man it looks great how is those to little frag of chalice doing
day light scares me im going back under
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 12:05pm
Thanks
The chalice is looking good still, good color. I can't tell if it's growing much, but maybe just a little.

The skimmer stopped working because of salt in the air supply tube. So I just pulled the air line and now it is just a fuge.
I'm still dealing with cyano but so far it hasn't caused any major problems. I just disrupt it every day or two.
I get a lot of bubbles of air floating around the display from the HOB fuge return.
I almost never have to clean the glass.
So there is good and bad.

Edited by MadReefer - November 23 2010 at 12:06pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic