Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMy 150 Gallons Of Madness

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My 150 Gallons Of Madness
    Posted: October 05 2010 at 5:16pm
Let me know what ya think. Important to know your feedback good or bad. Appreciate your takin the time to watch. 

Edited by builderofdreams - October 05 2010 at 5:31pm
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 5:22pm
Which wrasse is that in the fist few seconds? I know I've seen them before but I can't remember the name.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 5:29pm
Looking good!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 5:34pm

Recaro wrasse.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 6:04pm
Very nice tank! What do you use for flow? I love your water movement. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 6:16pm
Thanks! I knew I had seen them but couldn't remember the name, how hard was it to get him to eat? Also if you don't mind me asking, where did you pick him up?
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 6:17pm
i have 2-Korilia 4s and two modified rio that are directed behind the rock work.Kinda ugly to look at but serves a very vital part of this system.Sacrafis's.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 6:48pm
He comes with one bad point.He is a serious digger.Aquatica in orem has one now.thats is where he came from.

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 7:21pm
Awesome I'll have to check it out.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 9:26pm
CapnMorgan after looking at your 180 pictures you mightr want to reconsider purchasing the Ricaro Wrasse.everything you have in your sand this wrasse will flip it over to check for what ever he eats out of the sand.They are pretty strong so they can flip over some good sized rocks.In my video you'll notice there is nothing small or loose or living in the sand.He is the reason.You have alot of brains and what not in yours and you will be constant flipping them back over.
By the way your Tank is a beautiful piece of art work.

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2010 at 9:29pm
Thanks for the advice, sounds like I'll have to pass on it. It is a really gorgeous fish! Thanks for the compliment! Your tank is awesome as well! I really like the way you have your rock arranged. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Aquatic Evolution View Drop Down
Pet Store
Pet Store

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquatic Evolution Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 4:30pm
Red Coris Wrasse, not Ricaro :)
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2010 at 9:20pm
have you had that hippo very long? it has HLLE pretty bad
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 10:10am
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

i have 2-Korilia 4s and two modified rio that are directed behind the rock work.Kinda ugly to look at but serves a very vital part of this system.Sacrafis's.
It doesn't have to be that way. Have you ever thought of placing the powerheads down near the sand behind some rockwork? In that position, with the water streams pointing straight up or diagonally up to the surface, the gas exchange is improved and the pH rises. Water circulation also improves because the streams spread out in all directions from the top even creating vortex turbulence. All of this results in a healthier tank.Smile

The Yellow and Powder Blue Tangs look skinny. Are you feeding them an unending supply of algae, nori and lettuce? Do you feed Emerald Entree?

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 09 2010 at 10:12am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 4:07pm
I recieved the Blue hippo free from Aquatica because of the Facial problem.I have had him for about 9 months now,and beleive it or not its not a bad as it was.I was told that it is a nutrional problem.No Algae.I do feed Seaweed among other more meaty foods.They eat anything and everything.What is HLLE.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 4:15pm
I will give that a try.I took down a 90 gallon tank prior to this one and had noticed the collection of everything trapped behind the rock.
i do feed a variety of vegges and also alot of meaty foods.The larger hippo i received him with the facial problem.My Kids call him Scareface.little rough to look at but very active and and full of energy.Eats like a horse,Everything asnd anything.Any other helpful comments are greatlt appreciated.I have only been doing this for about3 years and am no way an expert in this Hobby.Will take all info i can get.

cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2010 at 11:48pm
Originally posted by builderofdreams builderofdreams wrote:

I recieved the Blue hippo free from Aquatica because of the Facial problem.I have had him for about 9 months now,and beleive it or not its not a bad as it was.I was told that it is a nutrional problem.No Algae.I do feed Seaweed among other more meaty foods.They eat anything and everything.What is HLLE.
its not a nutritional problem. I picked up a few fish from hobbiest who were fed VERY well that had this issue. I'm a firm believer it is water quality issues and/or stress. Larger tangs are not meant to live in tiny tanks. Especially if the water quality is bad. It should reverse itself if he is in a less stressful environment and you keep up good water quality (which im sure you do since you have anice reef tank)

we got a hippo when we were back in ohio that was probably about 6 inches living in a 75 gallon with HLLE so terribly that his gills were showing on both sides. after nearly a  year in our 180 he completely regrew his flesh, but was scarred for life... very sad.

HLLE= head and lateral line erosion
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 11:42am
It's my opinion that nutrition is part of the cause of HLLE. Poor nutrition actually causes physical and emotional stress. Medical clinics are packed with people in this condition. One of the reasons that those people continue in this condition is that the medical industry is misinformed and tends to answer with medication rather than true nutrition.

By "seaweed" do you mean Nori sheets? No algae to munch on?Shocked
I'd be interested to see a pic of the full tank. The video did not show the full tank until the very end.
You are doing well, but if you want to provide an even healthier menu for the fish, vary the diet toward plant foods. Include a variety of green leafy lettuce and use Emerald Entree rather than plain frozen shrimp. Also cut out any dry prepared/processed foods.

Oh and the detritus/crud that can accumulate behind the rockwork can actually decrease with the change in powerhead position and flow as I suggested. Another thing to do is remove as much rock from the sand as possible. Come to the Mountainwest Reef Fest and you'll see what I mean. I'll be demonstrating that there during the Reefscaping Competition. http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43875

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 10 2010 at 11:45am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 4:23pm
I agree w/ mark on emerald entree. I haven't found a tang yet that doesn't love that stuff. Ocean Nutrition formula 2 works great as well. I feed my fish as much variety of foods as Ii can. I think this helps them stay healthy. I don't usually have trouble fattening up any sort of fish. My Naso was extremely skinny when I got him, however after a couple weeks he looked normal again. Now he could be considered fat! Here's a list of the foods I use. I tend to mix up 3-4 varieties at once and change the combination every couple days.
Enriched Super Brine Shrimp
Piscine Energetics Mysis
Emerald Entree
Formula 2
Cylclopeeze
Romain Lettuce
Nori
Squid
Plankton
and Krill
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 11:03pm
By "seaweed" do you mean Nori sheets? No algae to munch on?Shocked
I'd be interested to see a pic of the full tank. The video did not show the full tank until the very end.
You are doing well, but if you want to provide an even healthier menu for the fish, vary the diet toward plant foods. Include a variety of green leafy lettuce and use Emerald Entree rather than plain frozen shrimp. Also cut out any dry prepared/processed foods.

Mark here is the picts of the tank,as requested.Please do not hesitate to let me know your or anybodys elses opinion.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic