Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

pepermint problems?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: pepermint problems?
    Posted: April 22 2003 at 10:12am

I just got a pepermint shrimp to remove my aptaisa in my 5 gallon work tank. He did his job the first day!

Now my xenia looks smaller. My question is should I be concerned with the pepermint eating my zoo's and xenia? I have heard of this but in the past I have had these shrimp in other tanks and they have always been reef safe.

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

John Fletcher View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 10:23am

Could be a possiblity.  Each animal has there own personality.  What one might do the other might not.  Sorry to hear about this.

John

Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 12:55pm

John,

It is rumored that you just might have the best tank in the club.  Do you have photos posted somewhere? A website perhaps?  I know you will have the tank of the month next month, but I'm impatient.  Specifically, what kind of lighting are you using?  Make and models and timing please.  I'm about to jump into the MH realm.

Thanks so much.

Kirk

Cell 801 860-7333
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 12:58pm

Does it look smaller like shrunken or less polyps or chunks taken out of the stalk?

Move the Xenia across to the other side of the tank or away from an area the shrimp inhabits and see if that makes a difference or allows you to catch the culprit in the act.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 2:42pm

Kirk, I sent you a private message to [email protected].  Please stop the rumor, everone's tanks look great in their own right.

John Fletcher "ReefAquarist"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2003 at 5:25pm

I havent actually seen any bites taken out yet I will keep an eye on it.  If it is found to be eating my corals I think I take him back.

By the way John I may have contributed to these rumours

Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 9:07am

Pisotnfister may be contributing to the rumors, but I'm quite sure I started them, sorry  . .... Wait a minute, no I'm not sorry

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2003 at 11:16am
Thanks guys for the very nice words.  I told my wife all about what the club is saying.  She said to let it ride, because I have put a lot of hard work into it.  I have enjoyed being a member of the club.  It is your on going advice that helps my tank flourish.  :)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 18 2003 at 9:46pm

Update, It was the pepermint. I traded him off for a frag. Now a number of the corals seem to have improved. The xenia has definetly improved.

So I guess it turned out good. I got rid of my aptasia then got a new frag in trade for my pepermint and someone else got a pepermint who will hopfully not cause harm in there tank.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a cool invert for a 5 gallon. I need one totaly reef safe. The pistol shrimp I have is cool but is not very active.

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 8:21am
I love my coral-banded shrimp in my nano tank. He is King of the tank and very active. Very interesting to watch. I even have some quicktime movie clips on my reef site. You need a fast Internet connection though.

http://homepage.mac.com/pagefam/Reef/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 8:25am
Have you thought about a cleaner shrimp?  I have heard of use of Arrowhead crabs, but they eat copapodsand brisleworms etc...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Fletcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 8:54am

Jared,  Both of your tanks look real nice.  I like the mini shows.  The 46 G bow has some real nice flow.

John

peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 9:15am
Thanks John, you probably recognized a few of the pieces in there as yours. Much appreciated. There's so much more I'd like to do with it but I've been trying to move for the last few months. After I'm in the new house I can go crazy.
Marcus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marcus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2003 at 2:34pm

Nudibranchs are neat inverts.  They are specialized eaters though.  Do your research.  Also, look into conchs, emerald crabs, and other inverts that will benefit as well as look neat.

Marcus

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic