Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink fuzzy worms

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DaZoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaZoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pink fuzzy worms
    Posted: October 10 2010 at 8:07pm

One of my fish jump into my overflow and when I went to get him out, I noticed a few pink fuzzy worms.  I didn't think to take a picture of them at the time.  They look just like earth worms except they are pink and they have hair like a caterpillar. What are these things and are they bad or good.  I had to empty my overflow to get my fish and when I restarted my water, a few of them ended up in my tank. I took them out, but I'm sure there are more in my overflow.  I also noticed  a bunch of pink soft splotches on the inside of my overflow.  Should I be worried?Confused

DaZoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaZoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2010 at 8:20pm
I've been checking the site and I think I found them.  I think they are Bristle Worms. I didn't touch them, I used my tweesers but atleast they are not bad for the tank.  wwwwhhhheeee. Just incase anyone was wondering.
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 9:19am
Good work. Good detritivores. They eat detritus/crud that accumulates behind rocks. They are also part of the reason a dead fish disappears overnight.

Continual overfeeding creates a mass like this that can be easily removed when they tangle themselves up in Bridal Veil material wrapped around some meaty food.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
ninja_brandon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ninja_brandon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 4:41pm
These things are great for your tank unless they look like the picture above.  Had a friend hand feed a single guy for over a year and he got huge like the size of a dime in diameter.  Pretty cool to see!

I have a couple that come out every time I move a certain frag on my sand but I just leave them be!
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 5:26pm
Actually Mark, even a mass like that is good for the tank.  If they hadn't been cleaning up all the excess food being fed to the tank it would likely have crashed.LOL
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 7:41pm
for sure
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 9:08pm

Dont show my arrow crab that pic, he might start to drool LOL

Life is good....right?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic