Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LPS spacing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: LPS spacing
    Posted: October 11 2010 at 7:48pm
well i was wondering my Torch, 2 frogspawns and a Hammer corals are pretty close together, sometimes they strech to a point that they are touch each other will there be a problem?
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 7:50pm
I think eventually there could be a problem. But if they are not retracting from each other I would say for now you're ok.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 7:51pm
ok so when they start to retract that means they are being bothered, thx i'll keep a watch in case that happnes
Sculpin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sculpin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 9:01pm
I saw some time-lapse footage on one of those discovery channel shows (life, wild pacific, etc..) and they showed what happens when corals attack (they should make a show called that!). The coral feeding tentacles begin to stretch out and latch on to the invading coral. It then covers the problem area completely, enveloping it and I believe eating it. I believe this usually takes place at night and the next day a piece of the loser coral will be skeletonized.

Micah

Edited by Sculpin - October 11 2010 at 9:01pm
Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 11:09pm
Most of the time Euphyllias tend to get along OK.  I have had frogspawn and hammer right next to each other for years with no problem.

In fact, I had a massive Frogspawn.  Over the course of about 3 weeks it totally died of.  About 30 heads.  I was sick.  For 2 years I left the dead skeleton in the tank.  Then I purchased a small frag of Hammer and placed it in the dead frogspawn skeleton.  Within 3 months the Frogspawn was growing back and is now nearly as big as it was before.  The hammer on the other hand is larger than the frogspawn ever was.  I had to split it up to keep it from shading itself.

These corals sit right on top of each other and mingle with each other most of the day.

Edited by Will Spencer - October 11 2010 at 11:10pm
swiftra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote swiftra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2010 at 11:10pm
Send that idea in to discovery channel. I'd watch. Smile
If you make it idiot proof, someone will find a better idiot!
Well 100g crashed when I moved it. Starting a 50g cube now.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic