Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weird Color

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weird Color
    Posted: October 12 2010 at 3:42pm
I am about two weeks into the cycling process and about a day ago I noticed that the utah rock and sand is starting to turn this light orange-brown color. Is this normal???

Zach
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 4:01pm
Oh yeah.
When "cycling" Utah Rock turns golden brown, that means you will have to take all the rock and sand out and sit in the hot tub with it.

Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 4:20pm
brown stuff = Normal.

Mark = normal?..... jury might still be out on that one. Tongue
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

ZACH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZACH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 4:33pm
okay good.
Like the picture.

Edited by ZACH - October 12 2010 at 4:35pm
29 Gallon BioCube
55 Gallon For Sale
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 8:20pm
Very Normal, also called Diatom algae.  You can Google it and find out more or I am sure Mark Peterson has a link that will be useful.
I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 9:51am
I don't have a link about that specifically, but I do have a gun.Wink
The thing to realize is that Utah Rock, if cleaned properly does not cycle, everything just loves to grow on it. So for a new tank, the first thing that loves to grow is Algae. Any algae.
SmileSo the trick is to place some prettier algae in the tank to keep the brown stuff to a minimum.
Get some Caulerpa and Chaetomorpha from someone here and place it up high, close to the tank lights so it can grow really good. I've done this and seen where the brown algae comes and goes in just a couple days.
The brown algae is followed by a better green algae and the beginnings of green and pink Coralline algae.

Love SNAILS
When the brown algae appears is also the time to add some snails. I cannot over-emphasize the importance of snails in keeping a new tank from starting to grow bad algae.
snails
snails
snails are our friends

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 13 2010 at 9:52am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
PhotoGlen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhotoGlen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 5:37am
Mark I am very happy, that your happy, about your gun. WackoLOL  But he is absolutely correct!!
Zach, I do have some Chaeto that is teaming with life if you need.  Thing is I live in Tooele so PM me if you would like some.  

I honestly think it is better to be a failure at something you love than to be a success at something you hate.
George Burns

Now two 29 gal. Biocubes
90 gal. with a 40 gal. sump
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 6:52am
I have tons as well, feel free to swing by if you ever make it out this way.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic