Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Skimmer problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Skimmer problem
    Posted: October 12 2010 at 10:38pm
SO we are getting everything hooked up in the sump for my tank and for some reason the pump on my skimmer(ASM-G2) is shocking us, anyone know how or why? And if there is a way to get it to stop?
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 10:41pm
You either have a small hole in the wire or a bad pump I would think. Look at the wire very closely and see if you can see any small holes or a crack.
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2010 at 10:45pm
Yea I think we figured it out, it must be a hole in the wire because if you pull the pump up a bit it stops shocking:)
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2010 at 9:55am
silicone over the hole
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 3:17am
I would say replace the pump. i rather spend a few bucks on a new pump, rather than one day laying dead on the ground.
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 9:06am
That's crazy talk. Give me the pump and I'll silicone it. It's very easy and works like a charm. Besides, that electricity coming through the water just gives a shock. Again crazy talk that it would kill you in that circumstance. 
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 9:38am
Yeah that sounds like an easy fix. It takes quite a bit of electricity to kill ya. I wouldn't worry about that. Just fix the whole like Mark said and your good to go. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

rwccomptech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rwccomptech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 12:17pm
Acutally, depending on the health of your heart, 1-5amps have the chance to kill you, even though the water would dilute the current their is still the possibility of it stopping your heart.Silicione would be a safe and reliable fix but its something that should be taken with precautions. When being fixed you should use a voltmeter to make sure that it is at a static zero when fixed.
Ron
20g
60x turnover
30" current pc fixture
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 12:35pm
yea we had already decided to silicone over it thanks Mark for the quick response! I managed to get shocked pretty good the other day when for some reason the water was leaking through the over flow hole and I was cleaning it up with a towel not realizing the water had ran straight down into the power supply when my finger touched it, shocked the $*it out of me! Anyway we are all good on the skimmer pump:) However one of my dang koralias was putting out some shock as well that we could feel when we touch the water.
Jackie Stuver

Will Spencer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will Spencer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 5:56pm
I agree the silicone should work, but electricity is still nothing to play with.  I had a very similar experience to Jackie's at a friends house one new years eve.  We found her tank was leaking and when I reached under to find the leak I put my hand in a stream that was going from the tank to the power strip and got enough of a jolt to thrown me back across the room.  "Found the leak!"Ouch
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 10:40pm
Maybe this is a bit morbid, but Wow, that's kind of cool Will Smile Guess it wasn't your time to go yet.

When I silicone a broken wire like that I make it a BIG repair and spread it up and down the wire a few inches just to be safe.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 12:16am
I coated it from the base up until I knew it wouldn't be in water:)

As for being shocked I remember about 12 years ago when my husband had to climb up on a ladder at work to fix the neon lighting, needless to say when he touched it he came flying off the ladder luckily he was able to grab hold of it before he hit the ground. He says to this day that that was the worst shock he has received and believe me there have been plenty of othersErmm
Jackie Stuver

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic