Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What are these?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are these?
    Posted: October 14 2010 at 7:45pm
They kind of look like bristle worms except for their heads look different at least compared to the ones I have in my tanks.

Thank you!
Arthur
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 10:33pm
Scavenging Polychaete worms.
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
arthuriv View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthuriv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 14 2010 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

Scavenging Polychaete worms.

Are they good or bad?

I'm assuming since it is a scavenger it is good!

Thank you!
Arthur

Edited by arthuriv - October 14 2010 at 11:51pm
Quality Marines Aquaculturing & Captive Breeding program!
Presented by Ashley & Chelsea from Reef On
Thursday 6 Oct 2016
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 12:28am
210 gallon Mixed Reef
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 2:10am
I would toss them asap! Read this:

Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 9:59am
For the benefit of the entire club, I have copied below, the PM that I sent to Arthur in response to his inquiry.

Perhaps it will put your mind at ease to know that in my 17 years in this hobby with dozens of my own tanks, adding numerous types of organisms, always leaving strange critters in my tanks, adding uncured LR fresh from the ocean, I've never had a coral eating worm and to my knowledge never had a problem with Isopods. I'm not saying they weren't there. I don't know, but I've never had any organism that I could not take care of in one way or another.

We should recognize that some of the living things introduced into our tanks do not survive. Many organisms soon die because the conditions, mostly food, are not right for them. Flatworms, Aiptasia and Red Bugs are the worst and we know how to control or eradicate those.

I allow and even encourage diversity and believe my tanks have been so much the better for it. A few years ago, when I was growing coral for part of my income, visiting hobbyists loved to sit and examine my tanks. They would often comment on the wonderful abundance of life in my tanks compared to others. I must have been doing something right. Smile 

Keep your arms and hands in the tank and enjoy the ride.

Mark
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 10:19am
Besides, that crazy long worm from Oregon does not seem the same type of worm as in Arthur's pic.

Rob Toonen says, "Polychaetes are an important, but much maligned, part of a healthy reef environment."

He even pictures this worm the Scavenging polychaete Eunice antennata, that has antennae not unlike those on Arthur's worms.

Maybe I should add that, because of the way I create my reef systems, no skimmers, in the sunlight, encouraging algae growth and herbivores, I may be a little different than the typical hobbyist. The pristine manicured tank with ultra clean rock and sand may not handle these scavengers as well. There just isn't anything for them to eat, so they crawl out, taste the coral and say, "Hey, that's better than nothing."
Just a thought.Embarrassed

xlr8r View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xlr8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 11:10am
Mark, I fully agree with you. I'm relatively new to this hobby but feel that diversity only helps a tank. I have no sump/skimmer/refugium ect. I have done only 1 water change in the 7 or so months that its been running. I rely on, and encourage, scavengers and macro algea and other "things" to help keep a balance. I want a tank full of life. A "busy" tank is much more interesting.  Just my $.02.
When you hear hoofbeats....Think of a zebra
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic