Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Gorgonian with algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gorgonian with algae
    Posted: October 15 2010 at 4:08pm
So I just got a new purple whip gorgonian yesterday. It was looking good, polyps out and everything as of last night. This afternoon I went to look at it and it's got some bubbles forming on it with algae on the ends of the coral. No algae like this anywhere else in the tank. The only parts of the gorgonian which are having the algae problems are in high flow areas, the base of the coral which is in a lower flow area has no problems..... so I'm confused.

Could the algae have come on the coral? Isn't this coral suppose to be in a high flow area to keep this problem from happening? If so, why isn't it growing on the coral in the lower flow areas. Thanks for your help.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

hydro phoenix View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hydro phoenix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 6:20pm
I had the same problem except it was cyano growing on it. It does love high flow though. get ride of the algea b/c it will prevent those polyps from coming out and eventually killing it. Not the whole thing but that area. If it doesn't come off then I would suggest snipping it off. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 15 2010 at 8:50pm
I'd move it and leave it alone. If in a few days the polyps haven't opened, give it a soft rub with your fingers to help remove whatever is irritating it. Usually it will open up to push and slough off a layer of dieing flesh. You know it's non-photosynthetic and needs to be fed right?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic