Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cone Skimmer*now with video*

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cone Skimmer*now with video*
    Posted: October 16 2010 at 6:44pm
Well I decided to build a smaller cone skimmer for my frag tank system. I am not quite done with it, I still need to build the neck and collection cup. This skimmer is quite a bit smaller then the last one I built but it will still skim a good 200 gallon tankBig smile It has a 4" neck, 8" base and stands 21" tall. I am using the new Sicce PSK-1000 skimmer pump they just came out with. I will keep you updated with how it goesSmile Here are some crappy cell phone pics.

Edited by tcfab - March 15 2011 at 8:01pm
Need custom acrylic work? give me a call, www.Elite-Aquatics.net (801)645-6386
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 9:08pm
If any of the DIY'ers want a cone body let me know. 
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 9:50pm
Again man awesome work! My skimmer is till running like a champ!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 16 2010 at 10:35pm
Thanks Steve. I am excited to get my big one up and running for good. I have only tested it for like a week in my bros sump.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 6:53pm
Got a little more done on my cone today. I have been slowly making progress inbetween everybody else projectsLOL I just need to order a 7" acrylic tube for the collection cup and the pump and I am in business. I will keep updating as I go.

fishoutawater View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishoutawater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 9:11pm
Sweet build! What is the footprint on that design? Does the hole in the center of the bubble plate go all the way down to the exhaust?
Some day, when I grow up,...

tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 9:58pm
Footprint is 10.5" x 14" The hole in the middle of the bubble plate just lets water go down to the lower portion of the skimmer. I got the idea from Warner Marine and thought I would try it out. Jon Warners theory of this style of bubble plate is that in a typical skimmer body the skimmer pump is pushing water into the body out of the bubble plate and up to the neck where the bubbles pop and then all that water comes down the sides of the skimmer body creating turbulence. With his design it allows most of the water to go up and flow down through the center of the body rather then down the sides creating a more stable head of foam and reducing turbulence inside the skimmer body. 

I thought I would give it a try and see how it works out. I have read reviews on Warner Marines K2 cone that uses this type of bubble plate and people said it actually works quite well and they did notice a difference in turbulence compaired to the more typical bubble plate design you see in alot of newer skimmers. 

Edited by tcfab - November 13 2010 at 9:58pm
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 1:57am
youve got some sweet fab skills!
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 11:04am
Thanks.Big smile
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by tcfab tcfab wrote:

If any of the DIY'ers want a cone body let me know. 
I may be interested in taking you up on this offer. What sizes do you have fixtures for?
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2010 at 11:08pm
I have two molds currently. I have a mold for a 10.5" base with a 5.5" neck and the cone body itself stands 15" tall. I also have a mold for the cone in this thread which has a 8" base and 4" neck and the cone body itself stands 12" tall. 
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 10:00am
I would probably want the bigger one. I have a 180 that will be heavily stocked, mixed reef SPS dominated with fish. What is your recommendation on that? I am looking at the Bubble Blaster pumps http://coralvue.com/bubbleblaster/ BB5000s  45watts gph=600
Depending on the price, I might be interested in more of the parts or a complete skimmer less plumbing/pump.

Edited by jpndave - December 31 2010 at 10:00am
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 12:03pm
jpndave, I sent you an e-mail.Smile
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 12:04pm
Also I forgot, yes I would use the larger skimmer it will work well on your 180. The Bubble Blaster 5000 works very well on this size skimmer from what I have heard.
Josh95 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 4:48pm
how large of one would i need for a 95g w/ 20g sump?
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 4:53pm
HAHA, do you think you could build a cone skimmer small enough to be perfect on my 30 gallon frag tanks?
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 4:54pm
Like the size of a mini G asm
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
jpndave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpndave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 5:00pm
I'm very interested, for sure a cone at least.
tcfab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2010 at 8:18pm
Josh95, the smaller skimmer in this thread would be a good size for your tank. 

Chad, the smallest I currently make is the one pictured in this thread, this skimmer would be to much for a 30 gallon frag system. Maybe in the future I will make a smaller skimmer, it wouldn't be a cone though, the one in this thread is hard enough to mold as isLOL

Jpndave, pm sentSmile
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 1:41am
These skimmers really rock. I have one of the big ones on my tank, and as tcfab already mentioned it's almost too much for my system, even with bacterial system. Pulls so much air it looks like the acrylic is white instead of clear.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic