Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked92gal corner tank/updated pics on last post

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by bstuver bstuver wrote:

Originally posted by SGH360 SGH360 wrote:

what kind of lights are you running?

It is a 2x 250w halides and 2 not sure on watts T5 fixture.

Jackie, is it (2) 250 watt pendants, or a single MH-T5 fixture?

Edited by Jeffs_little_ocean - October 19 2010 at 2:46pm
Life is good....right?
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 2:21pm
I guess I take it as "looks awful" in function, not form. But maybe that is because that is what I think. I think it could function better but I don't think it's bad looking. I wish people would criticize my setups that much.
I was reading recently about how a few people took half the rock out of there display and it was the best thing they ever did. It opens it up and benefits both form and function.
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 4:36pm
Yea as I stated before this is the first run and yes I more than likely will be taking some rock out I am just trying to get what I like.

The light is a 29" fixture that has the 2 250w halides and 2- T5
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 7:41pm
So what better way could I scape it? I am thinking I might just do like a center island so there is flow through the back and front. This is what I was going to do in the first place but for the life of me couldn't remember what I had plannedLOL I still plan to have my zoas/mushrooms along the bottom as most of the tanks I have seen this is what I like.
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 7:56pm
When I had my corner I did to small islands towards the side and left the middle fairly open. The goal for flow was to place my powerheads and returns so that the water was pushed out along the sides, went along the front the returned in the middle. I don't think I ever achieved it but I never had dead spots.

p.s. Aesthetically I really like open tanks as well.
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by Luckedout Luckedout wrote:

When I had my corner I did to small islands towards the side and left the middle fairly open. The goal for flow was to place my powerheads and returns so that the water was pushed out along the sides, went along the front the returned in the middle. I don't think I ever achieved it but I never had dead spots.

p.s. Aesthetically I really like open tanks as well.

Hmm ok, well I will try a few different things and see how I like it. I like open tanks as well but I have a lot of coral which is why I keep salt water so I need some amount of rock for all of it and places where things won't kill each other.
Jackie Stuver

kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 8:26pm
Al that matters is that you are happ with it, I think it looks good
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 9:25pm
I'm ok with it, I will get it looking how I want it;) It will just take me a bit!
Jackie Stuver

Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 11:19pm
I just now saw this thread.  Jackie- I like it a lot.  I saw the pics and thought "wow nice looking tank"

Mark- what is your deal?  I really wish you could travel with us to more fish events.... and meet people who do things better than you.

Adam
Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 3:03am
Wow thank you! I rearranged things tonight and actually like it better than I had it, I will post a new pic on the first thread tomorrow when everything is not ticked off at me.
Mark still won't like it as I have a ton of zoas and mushrooms on the bottom and I know he hates that but I am looking for it to fill in with all the mushroom and zoo growth.
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 10:11am
I don't "hate" it. I just haven't learned to communicate with kindness. What madreefer said about form and function is exactly what I would liked to have written. Thanks Jesse.Thumbs Up

Jackie, your tank has beautiful color, the stand and hood included. It also has lots of gorgeous coral. I don't "hate" any of that. I like it all. (I kick myself for not saying that right at first.)

The function of flow is more important than anything. The flow across the LS is critical because that is where more than 50% of filtration occurs. If we can maximize the flow across all the rock surfaces(front, back, sides) and across the sand our tank will continue to perform well and look fantastic for many years. Without that function, the tank may look good for 6 months. Well maybe a year.Smile

Adam, I too wish I could do that. Cry I've grown old and stagnant.

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 20 2010 at 12:45pm
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:40am
hey all.
I  can completely understand the Lack of Suddelty from Mark.
I have been building Custom Cars for 25 years(thats where the BuilderofDreams comes from) and have done the exact same thing to others that Mark has done.Its is not done out of Ignorance it is done to Help.There is no room for Suddelty in my profession.We inform for the over all quality of the project regardless of what of others feelings.I have been doing this so long that ya lose the fact that others have feeling,when they have work so hard and to the best of thier abilities,just to be told that is  far from right(not implying  that the stacking of rocks is incorrect,not my place).I took what Mark had told me and appied it to the best of my ability,Good enough, well will see.Mark was concerned with the LongTerm of the Tank and so was i.So with all that said i think that maybe Mark and I will be a little more Suddel about how we present our selfs and others abilities.Mark thanks for your help on my Tank.Also check out the last post on my 150 gallon of Madness and let me know what ya think..Thanks Again.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:16pm
I checked back to see if you'd updated the pics, but I just noticed the stand. I was too busy trying to see what corals and whatnot were in the tank and didn't notice it, but I really like it. You don't see too many white stands and I think it really really works with the colors put off by the tank. Very clean looking as well. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 12:57pm
Thanks guys. I understand what you are saying builderofdreams however almost every post from Mark I see is one telling people they have done something wrong. And to me Adam saying that it worked well and looked good in my opinion is whos advise I would take as he is in Marine ecology.
Luckedout thanks, it started out as the oak color that lots of tanks come in but I can't stand that color so I did it to match the room it is in. I really like it!

Edited by bstuver - October 22 2010 at 6:36pm
Jackie Stuver

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 5:04pm
That's a very nice tribute to Adam. Thumbs Up
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:43pm
K I removed some more rock and made kind of a tripod for the rocks to sit on. I am really liking it now! There is tons of flow through the tank and a lot of open area.

Jackie Stuver

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:49pm
Very pretty. Do those caves connect and allow the fish to swim all around under the rocks?
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by MadReefer MadReefer wrote:

Very pretty. Do those caves connect and allow the fish to swim all around under the rocks?

Yep they go all the way through to the back:)
Jackie Stuver

Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:56pm
Looking awesome Jackie, keep it up!
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 12:18am
Nice, I really like the new aquascape.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic