Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PH and Alkalinity levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
backwards32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PH and Alkalinity levels
    Posted: October 20 2010 at 11:20pm
How important is it to keep PH and alkalinity levels.  I was getting my water tested the other day at the fish store and  the lady said my PH and alkalinity was low.  she tried to sell me some addatives to raise PH.  it was 7.99 and same with the alkalinity thing.  I ddint buy it cause i have had my tank running for a year and never worried about it.  anyone know?
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 11:37pm
Fish only or corals?  If fish only, I watch pH.  If reef, I watch Alk/Ca/Mg and am not too concerned about pH.

210 gallon Mixed Reef
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 7:45am
If your calcium and alk is in correct your ph should stay pretty stable... I have my controller watch my ph, then I only test for alk/cal once a month or so and it has never been off. But I do, do regular water changes,and use kalk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 9:31am
humm.  ok is there alternatives for raising ca/mg/ and alklalinity.  i have coral and fish. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 9:38am
You were wise not to buy the stuff to raise pH. I cannot tell you how many times we've seen hobbyists damage their reef by trying to raise pH with additives. There are several better ways to deal with pH that we can go over later. As was said already, if the tank has good Alkalinity, the pH follows, so no need to worry about pH.

The "Reefkeeping Tips" link below would be very useful reading for you. It should answer your questions. The info about Alkalinity and Calcium is a few posts down into the thread.

Can you post a pic of the tank here? We could give you further help if we see something out of the ordinary. If no pic, please describe the tanks filtration.

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 21 2010 at 9:43am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 2:28pm
Ok i have a 55 gallon tank with probably a 20 gallon sump.  it has a sock in one chamber,  some chato in the next,  and then the pump.    I tried to put pictures on but they are too big
Lewy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 5:40pm
Use photobucket for posting pics.
40 gal w/ 20 sump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backwards32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 21 2010 at 11:10pm
DSCN0118.jpg sump image by easy2sell2010  this is my sump

DSCN0117.jpg image by easy2sell2010  and here is my tank
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 8:36am
Sorry, I don't know how to get to those pics.
If you would like to email them to [email protected] I'll post them here.

Did you read the thread linked below?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic