Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Some Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 10:56am
Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

Once the Oregon game (they are handing UCLA their arses) I will check the voltage issue.

Next week USC is going to upset Oregon!!  It's basically our bowl game since we're banned from the post season!! Go SC!!  LOL

OK, back to the thread...

Edited by Chris Scott - October 22 2010 at 10:56am
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 4:29pm
Another reefer was just having problems with his purigen as well....
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 4:42pm
I've been running purigen on my dads tank for about 7 or 8 months. Admittedly I've never recharged it. It is the only thing that ever worked to clear up his cyano completely.

I've been running purigen in my own tank for about a month now. No ill effects of any kind. Neither are run through reactors though. One is in its original bag with water flowing over it and the other is in a media bag inside its original bag. The media bag is placed close to my drain pipe.

I don't think I will be recharging them. Just buy new bags if I need to.
PDoug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PDoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 6:55pm
So barring the electrical issue... If the problem still exists; metals perhaps Copper, Mercury, Even Iron (the mag was addressed) Another thought is the corral death domino effect?    
(307)679-7898 Phillip Douglass 75 Gallon Reef Tank
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Chris Scott Chris Scott wrote:

Originally posted by downhill_biker downhill_biker wrote:

Once the Oregon game (they are handing UCLA their arses) I will check the voltage issue.

Next week USC is going to upset Oregon!!  It's basically our bowl game since we're banned from the post season!! Go SC!!  LOL

OK, back to the thread...

They better bring more than their "A Game". The Ducks are very, very strong right now.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 8:19pm
I have never heard of PuriGen hurting anything or having issues. Maybe you can explain more, Ben?

There could be several impurities in the water due to the pump issue, way to thin outside the box. Copper tested at 0ppm, but there could be other things. I added a new poly filter today and I will see if it changes color and what color it does change.

Mark, as far as phosphate removal, what do I need? I thought that a combination of my filtration would remove phosphates. The purigen doesn't do it? Carbon? Macroalgae? I just added the poly filter, I know that it removes phosphates among many other impurities.

BTW, I have a lot of purigen, I think it's 2L of it in the reactor.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 8:23pm
I had to look back over your questions again Mark, but here they are:

The carbon has been in the system for the entire life of the tank. It is about 3 cups worth of carbon, granuals, and is changed once a month.

The purigen was added to the system about 2 months ago, and was brand new. It hasn't been recharged or anything, but it should still be good right?
Kyle Wrigley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kyle Wrigley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 8:28pm
Im sorry to hear about this. I was using some of your homemade food last night and thought I need to see your tank again. Im trying to remember your set up more to think of a cause.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 8:30pm
Ya I need to make more food. I just dont have the money to buy the supplies right now. Maybe in a few weeks. I think last time it was almost $400 for the ingredients...but back to topic, lol. If you think of anything feel free to chime in. I hope I am fixing the problem here and can keep coral once again.
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 11:45pm
Do you test with Salifert PO4 tester?  Have you ever run GFO in the system?

I would ditch the Purigen if your nitrates are testing low, let the macro do its work, and focus on PO4.

I was testing zeros on Nitrates and PO4 yet was still getting hair algae in spots.  I ran GFO for a couple of months and the HA vanished.  I then slowly transitioned out out of a chaeto/refugium system (took 1/4 of chaeto out 1 week at a time until zero chaeto) in to a carbon/bacteria based system (abandoned GFO) and coral growth has literally taken off.  I have 3 corals that didn't grow at all in 9 months that took off growth-wise 2 weeks after switching to a bacterial/probiotic based system.  I'm now a true believer in the bacterial/probiotic system as I believe it provides a 24/7 planktonic food source for corals.  Food for thought.

Edited by jcom - October 22 2010 at 11:55pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 12:27pm
No I test with an API kit and it reads 0ppm. I know that phosphates are hard to measure sine they are often consumed just as fast as they are produced. I don't see why I would have excessive PO4 though...I don't have algae. I have the chaeto, and other macro algae and it is growing, and growing well. I also use the purigen, but dont see how that could possibly be hurting my tank. I will look into the method you speak of, it may be something beneficial to my tank, but I am pretty positive that this is not the cause of coral death. That doesn't add up to me.
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 12:36pm
Isn't there a place you can send a water sample and they will give you a full analysis? Maybe it's an odd metal that is not easy to test for. I can't say I'm an expert, but do you want me to come over to be another set of eyes on the situation?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 12:49pm
I could always use your company. For some reason I thought you left the area...I am going to the Utes game today, and after tailgating I will probably be useless the rest of the day, but if you want to come over another day that would be fine. If nothing else it would be good to see you again Jesse. I may have fixed the problem with the pump shocking the tank, not sure. I will try a new coral frag of some sort and see how it goes.
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 1:02pm
Hey Curtis have you taken your water anywhere for a double test?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 3:33pm
It's natural to assume by my question that I was asking if you run PO4 remover because there may be too much PO4 in the tank. Actually, the 3 or 4 times I saw a problem like yours it was because the hobbyist had been running Activated Alumina PO4 remover continuously for a year so there was too little PO4 and the AA had possibly contaminated the water with aluminum or something associated with the manufacturing process of that media.

To put some minds at ease, I have yet to hear of continuous GFO (granulated ferrous oxide) creating the same problem.

What brand of AC is being used? Bad AC can cause problems.

There was a hobbyist here years ago with brass fittings on the output side of their RO unit that had trouble with coral.

As has been mentioned, it's also possible that the water going into the tank has a problem.
Is there another reef aquarium in your vicinity. I wonder it that tank is having any problems that might be related to the city water?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
builderofdreams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2010 at 6:59pm
I have been using the small bag of purigen for almost 2 years.As soon as that stuff turns yellow i Clean it or recharge whatever  ya want to call it.Difference is i rechrge it at least once a month.toss it in a mixture of 50/50 bleach and fresh water for 24hrs.Rinse the hell out of it.Then toss it back into same container with fresh water for 24rs,then into the sump.
There is also another post that was having problems which (i could not find)and both tanks have a common denominator.Mag is to high.1360ppm  is natural sea water. I ahve aquatica test my Calcium and Magnesium thtas how i know that.Might be something might not.
It's Not a Hobby It's an Obsession
150&210 Gallons of Madness and. Sanity! 801-850-4915

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:18am
I see what you mean Mark. No I have no GFO or other media like that. The carbon I use is granuole carbon that "Rockstarfish" was selling. I think I'm ok, since half of the club is using the same carbon and if that was the problem it would show up elsewhere, and it probably would have started a while ago when I first started using it, switched to this stuff about a year ago. There are a couple tanks up here, AveSaltGuy and chastings, both have tanks, and I dont know about the first, but Charlie(chastings) tank is doing better than ever.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:21am
Builderofdreams, I will look more into the Mag. I am pretty sure I am safe since I have seen lots of very high end tanks with high Mag. But, I will do more research to make sure they didn't have problems later due to this.

I will take my water in to get double tested again, I did it a couple months ago at Birdworld, and everything checked out to read just like I had tested. Maybe I will go visit the new owners of Marine Aquatics and test the water. Do they do that?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:30am
I cannot Help you there. i am in Utha County and only use Aquatica.
I have relied on Shawn for the last two years and he has never steered my wrong.

http://www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65135&title=builderofdreams-feedback-post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote builderofdreams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 11:57am
Check out this Link.
Maybe you can understand it better than i could.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic