Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need Some Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 12:10am
you said you just recharge the carbon??? by adding more to the old? or completely replacing? if so i'd try completely replacing it... i doubt it is a voltage issue by the way the corals are affected.. and all your levels are in line. I'd try a double check on all your water parameters including the salinity.

also.. how are your sps dying.. at the tips first than all over... or from teh base first than all over..

what are you using to dose your tank? I think the instant ocean is a mistake... Im thinking you need to switch back to reef crystals
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 7:15am
Ermm Sounds like a visit would be helpful here. Give me a call at the number below. While I'm in the area, I'd like to visit Charlie too.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 1:00pm
Crystal, no I replace the carbon, fully replaced not added to. Brand new once a month. I didn't switch to instant ocean I switched to oceanic. I haven't heard anything about them having bad salt, but I will look more into it. To be honest this started happening months and months before the switch.

I will double check params. I dose with kalkwasser. Mag is maintained with BRS mag chloride and epsom salts, in the ratio that BRS recommends.

SPS are all dead...but they were dying both from the base and from the tips, they were also bleaching and then losing tissue throughout.

Mark, I will call today. Maybe we can plan to meet tomorrow. Today I am pretty busy with errands and chores.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
cl2ysta1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cl2ysta1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 11:38pm
Oceanic tends to be incredibly high in Magnesium.. I'm honestly guessing the sudden change from IO to Oceanic stressed all the sps out and they crashed.. Sps are very finicky and like very stable conditions... we had a similar issue when we switched from tropic marin pro to Reef crystals.. had RTN on all sps that were by return pumps... (from the new saltwater hitting them when put in the sump.. ) im guessing once everything stables back out since all the parameters are normal that things will be back to normal again..

Good luck and im sorry that this happened.. it is not fun to watch years of work go down the drain
I <3 Boxers
Achilles tang lover
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic