Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

anyone have an idea of what this might be?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: anyone have an idea of what this might be?
    Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:06am
ok so i found this in my 50 gallons sw tank does anyone have an idea of what this might be? i have three and this one in the medium in size its about the size of a quarter the other one is bigger 
downhill_biker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote downhill_biker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:14am
Looks like a pretty majano anemone. Bad guys. I have a bunch in my tank...all started with one on a frag I got from someone.
Make sure you post your best pictures every month in our POTM forum.
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:19am

crap then i only made a mistake by feeding it, i guess will have to research it more someone told me that it was a strawberry anemone but who knows 

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:19am
if it FO tank its ok, if not get aiptasia x and eradicate this suckers before they become a nuisance
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:37am
I have had things like this for years and I asked for opinions and no one knew. I have seen other people post about these same things and didn't get clear answers either. I have never treated them and they don't spread very fast. I've never seen one over a centimeter across. They haven't killed corals and they only grow on the underside of rocks, out of the light. Do you think they are majanos? Should I kill them?
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:43am
i would say get rid of them, perhaps you can provide a pic mad reefer? If they are not that fast spreaders then it would be easy to eradicate them
davser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 12:44am
im not sure about killing them and majanos look way different a guy at the fish for you told me they were probably strawberry anemones and that they are harmless and they dont get very big but from this answers they sound bad i will do some more resesrch just to be sure before killing them
TriggerHappy View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TriggerHappy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 1:20am
It does not look like manjano to me, but I'd be very careful.  I've been infested with manjano and it ani't no fun. Leave it be and watch it would be my advice...it you see more than one, might be a good thing to nuke before they get out of control.

HTH,
Bill
210 gallon Mixed Reef
kay181 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kay181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:04am
thats not majano Wink but is a anemone

Edited by kay181 - October 22 2010 at 3:05am
day light scares me im going back under
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:07am
They are called Ball anemones. Google it and you should see a photo exactly like it. I have these in my tank as well and they don't seems to hurt corals at all, and don't really multiply that fast. They are mainly open at night as they are not photosynthetic.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
kellerexpress View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kellerexpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:44am
not a majano. I too have alot of those on the back of rocks out of the light, never bothered anything.
IM 30L
Kessil A160we x2
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:48am
ball anemone huh? i guess if they are not fed they die? shoot i wish aiptasia or majano was this easy
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 3:54am
these particular anemones aren't pests. So really the decision to keep them or not is personal preference 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 7:27am
I agree with Steve. Thumbs Up
Out of 1,000+ good organisms that can live in our reef aquariums, typically there are only 6 real pests that crop up only once in a while. Fortunately, we know how to deal with them. Everything else, if allowed to live, only enhances the biology of the tank.
Aren't reef aquariums fun! Big smile

Okay, someone will ask, so here's my list:
aiptasia
majano
flatworms ( only 2 bad among 100's of beneficial ones)
red bugs
rock crabs
nudibranch ( only a few bad among dozens of good ones)

That's it.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Crazy Tarzan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crazy Tarzan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 22 2010 at 10:35am
I actually like these, I've had them in all of my tanks and never had them get to plague proportions.  They stay out of the light mostly, and don't spread very quickly.  I've never fed them, yet they still slowly grow.   Best type of organism there is, don't do anything for it and it flourishes without upsetting any balances.
Was that in there yesterday? Casper--WY windier than ?

Down to a 20, soon to double or nothing
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic