Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help!! Something Eating My Tank!! (EUNICE)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 11:45pm
i would not even try to keep this on anywhere bristle worms are far more better than this predatory bastards

Edited by SGH360 - October 28 2010 at 9:23am
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 7:35am
There are nicer ways to stir the sand. This worm has grown so large that it is hungry enough to eat coral. I expect it would starve to death in the Refugium. Cry
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 6:17pm
Thanks Mark, for the offer! haha I wanna for sure find out exactly where he is staying first
...Ohh and to why I keep the coral on the sand is because when i first bought my acans and other corals I would place them on the sand for them to adjust to my tank for about a couple weeks..The 3 acans have been on the sand for about 5 months already...Every time i try and move them up on the rocks it seems they don't look as good as when there on the sand??

Yesterday morning I found my rare pink acans turned upside down in the sand...Again I got to it in time before he could do too much damage.It's weird cause this pink one was glued to a bigger rock about the size of a tennis ball and that WORM was strong enough to turn it over completely up side down....I now moved all of my acans up on the rocks..So I don't think he'll go on the rocks to find them...

For some weird reason this worm only likes acan's, because I have a frag of some green candy cane coral right where he usually comes out..And it's never been messed with.

I wish i could of grabbed him when I rescued the acans..But when I pulled the rock up I did not see anything underneath...I still don't know exactly if it is the damn worm that's doing all this..But all the evidence point's to it...It's like why all of a sudden now???  I first noticed this worm like 3 months ago, It would poke it's head out from underneath the sand at night time..But when It would see me It would go back under quickly...And my acan's have been in that same spot for about 5 months now..It just barely started happening last week??

I swear I feel like I just wanna upgrade my tank to a 75 and get rid of all that sand and start over fresh! How would I go about doing that?? Also I forgot to mention, when I dug deep under the sand to get my coral remains out, It had a strong sulphur smell to it..and the sand kinda had this gray light black color to it? Is that something bad?? should I be syphon vacuming ? the sand is about 3 inches in certain areas
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 7:51pm
If it reached up and overturned a rock, I expect sooner or later it will find the acans and pull them down. The acans are simply the first course on the menu. And for dessert... the family dog? Wink

You'd think that it would stir all the sand, but my guess is that it already ate the bugs and other sand stirring worms in the sand so there is no more stirring going on and it just stays in the trail that it has made to the acans.

The sand is okay. Don't toss it. Have you ever heard of systematically stirring portions of the sand by hand or with a stick to refresh it and to stir up detritus so the coral can eat it?

Don't upgrade to get rid of the worm, just upgrade. That's what we obsessed reef fanatics do. Big smile

Approve This TALK about the worm is getting us nowhere. Shoot, if I visited your house, in five minutes my arms would be in the tank and I'd have found that worm and thrown it into a waiting bucket.Big smile
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I'd have found that worm and thrown it into a waiting bucket.

AKA The toilet!
Chance Evans
adzmcss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adzmcss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 4:25pm
Guys I still have not found where the worm's hide out is... And I haven't seen him in awhile...So tonight I wanna get a piece of meat and leave it on top of the sand and see if he come's out ..Then I will know for sure where this thing lives...
Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 6:07pm
an old fashioned "steak-out" huh? Embarrassed
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 9:18am
Did you stir the sand like I suggested?

Why not catch it like we do Bristleworms? Just use a larger mesh netting wrapped loosely around the meat/shrimp. Tie it with fishing line so it can be pulled out quickly when the worm has entangled itself in the netting.

SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 1:04pm
are you sure you can completly remove your rock to catch this thing? its eating alot of your investments, its a pain or like everyone says let Mark do itBig smile
invisionthis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote invisionthis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2011 at 1:38am
Did you ever ketch this worm?
Jason
90 gal w/ 55 gal Sump
Eclipse Combo 29 gal
www.invisioncomputers.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic