Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Red Slime is out of control! (NorthernISH)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Red Slime is out of control! (NorthernISH)
    Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:04pm
Hey guys, I have tried absolutely everything to get my red slime cyano under control. It is now taking over my entire tank and doing some real damage. Anyone ahve some of this???   http://www.marinedepot.com/Ultralife_Red_Slime_Remover_Red_Slime_Cyanobacteria_Remover_Medications-Ultralife-UL1311-FIMERM-vi.html

I just need one or two doses I think.
90 Gallon Reef w/4 bulb 54W t5

I buy, sell and restore pinball machines. Got one in the basement? ;)
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:21pm
Have you really tried everything? increase airflow, reduce feeding, deeper sandbed, macro algae? I had cyano about a month ago and it was taking over i reduce my feeding to once a day and it magically dissapeared.
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:38pm
I feed once every 5 days and a very reasonable amount. Have a 4 inch sandbead and I feel like I have plenty of oxygenation from my protein skimmer (could be wrong though) And I have a sump full of chaeto in my sump. COVERED IN RED SLIME... LOL LOL Good times.

CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:40pm
How much flow is in your tank? Usually red slime will only grow in areas that don't have adequate water flow
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Kiltboy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiltboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:41pm
I just got done using it, i scrubbed most of it off and put some in and it cleared it in no time at all! Down side is my skimmer went nuts! Even with my gate valve all the way open it was over flowing so i would probably use half dose and dose again if needed!
Chance Evans
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 9:49pm
I have two koralia's in the tank. 3's if I remember correct. Plus the return pump. I feel like there is good flow in the tank but I may be wrong....

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 10:00pm
How many times turnover do you have in the tank? 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 10:28pm
1050+850+350=2250/55gal= 40 times per hour?? Am i doing that right?

The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 10:47pm
Yup looks right to me. It seems like you have good flow, what are your nitrate, phosphate, alk, and calcium parameters?
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:12pm
When I got a bit of cyano I decreased my feeding, cut down my light period to about 2 hours and then did a 20% water change. After a couple days I slowly increased the lights and did another water change. Took some time but it did the trick.

I personally don't believe in adding chemicals to a tank. Cyano is a symptom of something else that is wrong in the tank. You can treat the symptom with a chemical or you could find the source/cause of the symptom, eliminate it and let the tank care of itself. (I talk to patients about the same thing quite a bit Tongue)
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2010 at 11:13pm
p.s. I have some free time tomorrow during the day if you want I can swing by and maybe see if I can see something you might be missing. I look at my tank so much I tend to miss stuff until people come to see it and point it out. 
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

Spbeyond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spbeyond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 12:02am
I may have some time tomorrow, Im not sure. That would be cool though. My tank was doing SO WELL.... now all of a sudden red slime is everywhere and all my coral is looking kind... dieing...   I will get you updated levels but last time I checked (couple of days ago) it was ok.

Edited by Spbeyond - October 26 2010 at 12:03am

Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 8:14am
I like what Ben said.Thumbs Up
Below I have listed all the things I can think of that have worked for people in the past. They are in no particular order. If you call me or even better, invite me for an in person evaluation, I can help you determine which of these changes is best for your aquarium.Smile

An increase in herbivores
 - more snails and hermits
 - more herbivorous fish
 - more herbivorous inverts
An increase in algae
 - increase/change the Macroalgae growing in the Refugium
 - increase/change the macroalgae growing in the display
 - add more varieties of Macroalgae
A decrease in nutrients from all sources
 - stop feeding
 - stop water changes
 - check topoff water for elevated TDS and N
A change in tank lighting,
 - sometimes more light or more actinic light
 - sometimes less light or less white light
A change in flow
 - more flow everywhere
 - more in a different direction, especially up
 - more aimed at the algae
 - change the reefscaping to shake the detritus off rocks and to change flow around the rock
A change in the sand bed
 - stirring the sand bed
 - removing loose rock from off the sand to create more flow over the sand
 - opening up the sand by elevating large rocks with small rocks
 - vacuuming to remove detritis
 - adding a few cups/gallons of critterful LS from a healthy reef aquarium
 - adding Oolitic sand underneath, even just a few quarts/gallons
A change in the Sump/Refugium
 - using whiter or brighter lighting
 - increasing the photoperiod, even 24/7
 - adding to or replacing the sand (best place for a very DSB which eats lots of Nitrates)
 - sending more water through to eat more nutrients

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 26 2010 at 8:19am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic