Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cyano Bacteria

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Haley'sfish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cyano Bacteria
    Posted: October 26 2010 at 11:11pm
It seems like about every month or so I go through cyano blooms. I've got it down so they aren't that big of a deal, but what can I do to prevent them? I feed about 1/8 cube frozen food per day. I have a koralia nano (240 gph) and just added another 160 gph powerhead. The lights are on for about 8 hours/day. Any ideas? This isn't a big deal, I would just like to learn to do it better. 

Edited by Haley'sfish - October 27 2010 at 11:58pm
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 11:27pm
how many fishes do you have? do you direct the flow into the cyano, are you running any Macro Algae or AC?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:14am
2 fish, one clown and one goby. One head is heading up from the side, and the other is directed towards the front, so no not directed at the sand bed where the cyano is. I do have macro, but what is AC? 
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 12:41am
Activated Carbon
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 9:41am
Do you make sure the fish eat every morsel of food?
Do you ever skip a days feeding?
Is the top of the tank covered?
What type of Macro and how much?
What type and how deep is the sand?
What are the Alk and Ca?
Can you post a pic of the tank?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haley'sfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2010 at 11:56pm
KH/ALK 3.9 meq/L. Calcium is 400 ppm. No the fish do not usually eat every morsel of food, but they do eat most of it, and I rarely skip days. The top is covered. I do have macro, but I cannot remember the name, its green and stringy(thats probably the scientific name now that I think about it). Sand type is unknown, depth is unknown as well, I haven't probed it lately(I will if you would like). And I updated with a picture. Any other suggestions would be great as well, I would love to know how to do better. Thanks for all your help already. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 7:53am
The tank looks nice. Appears to be good open space, but the bottom of the reefscape looks a little closed with too many small rocks. Open up some channels across the sand underneath the reefscape by moving some of those small rocks up.

The tank is being overfed. When I feed, especially just a couple fish, I drop in a few morsels and watch the fish eat them. I watch them gobble those pieces up in about 15 seconds before dropping in a few more pieces. Then I stop and maybe on occasion do it one more time, always making sure they eat every decent sized piece of food.

On feedings, I skip at least one day per week, but some days I make it "Sunday dinner" and feed them almost double the amount of other days.

The top of a tank should not be covered or if it is covered should have plenty of places for air exchange. Always remove glass covers. Fans which may cool the lights during the day can help but at night when gas exchange is just as important, the lack of air movement can be unhealthy.  Simply placce a small block under the tank lid to open up space for air to move in and out. Lack of oxygen and too much CO2 in the water because of poor gas exchange is another cause for lowered pH (especially at night  Ouch) and Cyano growth.

In the pic, I cannot see the Macroalgae. From your description, it's probably Chaetomorpha (kate-o-morfa).

The Alk and Ca are good.Thumbs Up

The pic appears cropped above the tank bottom so I can't tell for sure but I'm assuming it's 1-2"of sand  in front and a little more in back.
Assuming the sand is the common Caribsea Special Grade Reef Sand, it would be helpful to add some Oolitic sand. This will enhance the biofiltration by provided a ton more surface for bacterial growth. Oolitic sand is the best for this. I'll give you some free Oolitic sand, if you want to call and come get it. Big smile

This is unwashed Oolitic Sand:

Below is CaribSea Special Grade Reef Sand. I reduced the size of the CaribSea pic so the actual size comparison between the two sands is pretty close. Because bacteria are so microscopically tiny and because they like to live on surfaces, many times more bacteria can live in the same amount of Oolitic Sand because the smaller size means a huge increase of surface area. Does this make sense?

Edited by Mark Peterson - October 28 2010 at 8:34am
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic