Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

120 gallon DIY Stand- complete

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Corey Price View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 120 gallon DIY Stand- complete
    Posted: November 22 2004 at 8:19pm

Well, here it is!  I've been waiting to have my first aquarium, and thanks to a lot of you folks, I've started.  Sorry if the picture is huge!  I'm still learning.

You can see the baseboard trim, but I don't have the molding around where the tank will sit yet.  The sides and doors are raised panel construction (doors not shown here).  I've chosen clear and knotty alder as the facade wood, with the standard 2x4 construction underneath. 

Thanks to everybody's advice, the stand is 42" from the floor to where the tank sits.

Does anyone know a good finish for this?  I've heard that spar varnish is good.

Edited by Corwando
ewaldsreef View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewaldsreef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2004 at 9:59pm
I would just like to say thats looking good. I went with a much more simple design on my stand. I am just not that good with woodwork.
Contact me for professional aquarium maintenance and localy grown coral frags. [URL=http://www.aquatitranquility.com][/URL]

SSpargur View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSpargur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 6:55am
I love the woodwork.  Looks like it's going to be awesome.  Keep us apprised on your progress!
Sean Spargur
West Valley, UT
bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 11:23am
where did you get the wood to cover the frame?
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2004 at 12:01pm

Jeff

I bought the rough boards from Sierra Hardwood out by the SL Airport, and everything you see was planed and ripped down from there.  I take a woodworking class at night at a high school and the school has all of the tools one may need.  I even used a "shop-bot" (computer-controlled router) to flute the front trim.  The base board and crown molding that will be used was all shaped there at the school.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2004 at 9:50pm

Ok, time for an update.  I had some time on Friday to finish assembling the stand and also build most of the canopy.  

The doors still need a center piece installed, and the whole thing will be stained and finished.  I'll post a few more pics soon.

It kinda turned out looking similar to a fireplace mantle, but I sure do like the armrest up top.  The armrest will be coated with finish very heavily to resistthe nasty effects of saltwater.

bugzme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugzme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 5:28am
GREAT JOB!!!!
Jeff
125 tank
50 gallon sump
T-5 lighting
Rum drinker, Carbon User
I KNOW ROCKS THAT ARE YOUNGER THEN ME!! I AM A Realist! I write what I think!!
Skyetone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyetone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 10:19am
nice to have the right tools for the job. Thats the hard part.
I will just give my warning that your system will flood, bulbs will burn out, and things will take continuous maintenance... get over it.

Magna
j's55 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j's55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2004 at 10:49am
WOW you could make a living selling stands that you
make
I take woods and That is where I built my 10 gal
stand

Edited by j's55
Josh Zorn
45G reef
lots of tropical plants
Cell it 910 3924

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2004 at 10:01pm

Ok, folks, here is a picture with the doors open.  I haven't decided if I'll enclose the back.  I will be running a basement sump, but if I had to, there's plenty of room here.

You can see the doors, flutes, and other details a bit better.  I'm still learning to use my wife's new camera

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2005 at 10:36pm

Ok, time for another update.  It looks as though tax season will yield up all the money we've loaned the feds for zero interest, but I'll still be under budget constraints.  So far, the tank stand is not stained, but is really close to completion.  I've purchased most of the plumbing parts as well.  One thing I've learned from that-

PLUMBING PARTS ARE EXPENSIVE FOR ANYTHING REMOTELY ELABORATE AND SHOULD NOT BE OVERLOOKED WHEN CONSIDERING THE OVERALL INITIAL SETUP COST...

I think I've spent $150 and I'm still at least $100 away from finishing it!  Of course, due to a obsessive/compulsive desire to be as neat as possible and still keep the total head loss of the plumbing to a minimum could be the problem here.  Or, it could be that $32 for a 2" true-union ball valve seems outrageous!  I'm sure that most of the local plumber's supply are sick of my asking about hard-to-find PVC parts.  Wait 'till they hear about the schedule 80, 40, and 200 plumbing all fitted toegther in order to come under budget and still maintain satisfactory flow. (Did I mention spa-flex as well?) 

The circulation will consist of a basement-housed Sequence pump that will push the water up thru 2" pvc pipe to the tank above.  The sump was custom-built at Marine Aquatics and will do the job.  If you want a nice acrylic sump, Eric and Arjien sure do a good job!

I've even got a room in the basement all planned out for the fish room.  Pictures will come soon.  I also realized the other day that testing the plumbing could result in flooding my living room and acute spouse distress syndrome, but there's no other way to test it right.  I'll have to solicit some fellow reefkeeper help for the testing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Corey Price Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 11:12pm

It's done!

Shane H View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shane H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2005 at 11:15pm
very nicely done! congrats.
tileman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tileman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 27 2005 at 8:09am
Excellant job,  Very professional.  Love to see a plan come together..
335G Reef
TOTM.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2015/2/aquarium
ReefKeepers TOTM Feb. 2012
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index....k-of-the-month

&
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic