Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Official Bacterial Driven Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 10:03am
Just a small update. I have been dosing Microbacter7 and Aquavitro Fuel for 5 days now. I started dosing vodka. But read that you should wait two weeks before dosing vodka if you start mb7

Levels as follows
Nitrates/nitrites no readable levels
phosphates no readable levels

I will start dosing for a low nutrient system after the two week period. I have month old Marco rock and figure I should bolster my Bio filtration as specified on the bottle.

Acro is growing nicely, getting some good polyp extension. Birdsnest is coloring up nicely, Chalices I bought at the reef fest are showing great growth (for chalices) and my other corals are doing great as well
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 10:20am
Originally posted by Davidwillis Davidwillis wrote:

no matter what system you are using, a power outage is scary...
I disagree with this statement. In fact, my whole reefing life is a contradiction to this statement.Smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Davidwillis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 10:41am
Did you measure you nitrates and phosphates before you started?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 10:42am
Originally posted by Mark Peterson Mark Peterson wrote:

I disagree with this statement. In fact, my whole reefing life is a contradiction to this statement.Smile

When I wrote that I almost said unless you are Mark.... But then I thought it might even be scary for you to loose your powerhead....LOL
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 11:26am

Did you measure you nitrates and phosphates before you started?

I should have but I didn't. I didn't expect that my levels were bad as I wasn't seeing any negative signs and everything was already doing well in my tank. Ill do some more testing when I start up vodka again next week .

Edited by Ahanix - November 09 2010 at 11:27am
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 9:15am

When I wrote that I almost said unless you are Mark.... But then I thought it might even be scary for you to loose your powerhead....LOL
One would think that I know, but my tanks survivability during power outages probably has to do with relatively lower fish populations, the lack of filtration gadgets and the exposure to direct sunlight.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davidwillis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 9:35am
simple is genius...Smile
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 4:13pm
So 3 days into MB7 dosing something kind of strange is happening. My suncoral which has always been closed all day long and only opens up to be spot fed when the lights go out at night is now open all day long. Interesting...
Life is good....right?
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

So 3 days into MB7 dosing something kind of strange is happening. My suncoral which has always been closed all day long and only opens up to be spot fed when the lights go out at night is now open all day long. Interesting...

Awesome!
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 5:23pm
so i dont know if it was in this thread i read it or one of those links someone posted.....but

Isnt the true reason they started dosing this way is for feeding (planktonic) and the lower nitrates and phosphates was just an upside to this.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

so i dont know if it was in this thread i read it or one of those links someone posted.....but

Isnt the true reason they started dosing this way is for feeding (planktonic) and the lower nitrates and phosphates was just an upside to this.

I believe you are correct sir. I start my pellets on Monday. I'm going with Brightwell Aquatics Katalyst pellets, and a combination of MB7 and Probidio Bio Digest. I'm looking forwars to keeping more NPS, and making my goniopora even healthier. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 4:29pm
can you just does mb7 and not vodka?.... and get anywhere near the same effects, cause i am assuming the bacteria (mb7) would still go into your tank and eat up certain stuff

also i keep hearing people say that you can just stop dosing with no harm? how is this possible? i would imagine if your dosing a carbon source, and then a bacteria to eat that carbon. that your tank would become somewhat dependent
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 5:53pm

can you just does mb7 and not vodka?.... and get anywhere near the same effects, cause i am assuming the bacteria (mb7) would still go into your tank and eat up certain stuff

also i keep hearing people say that you can just stop dosing with no harm? how is this possible? i would imagine if your dosing a carbon source, and then a bacteria to eat that carbon. that your tank would become somewhat dependent

Yes you can dose just MB7 but I doubt you will get the same results. You will more than likely still see positive results in the end. My guess is you would have to dose more MB7 to compensate.

I wouldn't just stop cold turkey. I would slowly lean off of dosing. This method is unnatural. I would actually say it is more natural than just about any other method. It involves everything naturally found on the reefs. Bacteria eating up phosphates and nitrates and then exporting the nutrients.

I don't see why I would ever stop dosing but if that day comes, I will slowly lower the dosing.

Edited by Ryan Thompson - November 11 2010 at 5:54pm
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 6:24pm
Well I mean more like when I go out of town for like a week and don't want to trust someone else putting vodka in my tank.... stuff like that
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 7:03pm

Well I mean more like when I go out of town for like a week and don't want to trust someone else putting vodka in my tank.... stuff like that
Well you certainly wouldnt want to trust someone else with dosing while on vacation. I would assume that you could leave your tank un-dosed for a week and although you may have a reduction in the carbon fed biofilm, and as long as your skimmer is running, I doubt your system would crash. Hopefully Ryan will correct me if I am wrong on this?
Life is good....right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 7:33pm
You will be fine leaving the tank for a week without dosing. I have been on 4 vacations since I started dosing vodka and my tank has been just fine.

I also don't dose Vodka daily so my tank would really only miss a couple doses of vodka and I can add bacteria before I leave. Then just continue my dosing when I get home.
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 2:33pm
My Katalyst pellets, MB7, and Probidio should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm excited to get it going.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I also don't dose Vodka daily so my tank would really only miss a couple doses of vodka and I can add bacteria before I leave. Then just continue my dosing when I get home.

If dosing can be skipped, this says to me that the current dosing schedule is more than needed. Are you sure the dosing isn't for you instead of the tank? Take that as a challenge if you like. I think most hobbyists are simply enamored with Vodka.Tongue
There are many other sources of carbon that are safer and less expensive. Two in particular come to mind; vinegar and brown sugar.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 5:48pm

Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

If dosing can be skipped, this says to me that the current dosing schedule is more than needed. Are you sure the dosing isn't for you instead of the tank? Take that as a challenge if you like. I think most hobbyists are simply enamored with Vodka.TongueThere are many other sources of carbon that are safer and less expensive. Two in particular come to mind; vinegar and brown sugar.

The recommended dosing is not too much for a system. Everything varies on the individual system. I know my nutrients are already low and therefore I don't need to dose as much Vodka.

I would highly recommend reading the links, Mark. I'm sure you have but do it again. A lot of the questions you pose, are answered in those links.

Sugar and Vinegar are used to dose tanks. It is called VSV dosing. Some theories are that certain strands of bacteria do better when sugar is added and other strands like Vinegar more.

There are a couple issues to vinegar and sugar. Purity first off and that vinegar can drastically lower your pH. Vodka is about as pure as things come and I find it to be the safest route. Vodka doesn't appeal to me because it is vodka, it appeals to me because I have studied the different dosing methods and found Vodka to have the most pro's.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 6:02pm
For me what interest me is the planktonic feeding it enables.... and having lowered nitrates and phospastes will be the plus for me.

I plan on only dosing vodka once a week(on Tuesday since I am usually always home on Tuesday)and dosing mb7 on tues and wed... should that work out well? Since I. Only really want it for feeding, I figure once a week should be fine... could be wrong

Ryan, is there any amount of time that you are supposed to wait before adding mb7 after vodka?

And mark I am not that thrilled about sharing my vodka, just means less goes in my weekly dosing requirements...lol
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic