Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Official Bacterial Driven Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Ryan Thompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by badfinger badfinger wrote:

For me what interest me is the planktonic feeding it enables.... and having lowered nitrates and phospastes will be the plus for me.

I plan on only dosing vodka once a week(on Tuesday since I am usually always home on Tuesday)and dosing mb7 on tues and wed... should that work out well? Since I. Only really want it for feeding, I figure once a week should be fine... could be wrong

Ryan, is there any amount of time that you are supposed to wait before adding mb7 after vodka?

And mark I am not that thrilled about sharing my vodka, just means less goes in my weekly dosing requirements...lol

You can dose MB7 once a week no problem. They actually have instructions for that on the bottle.

I add my MB7 and Vodka at the same time. I dose the MB7 into the display and the vodka into the sump by my return. For the MB7 I get a cup and add tank water to it, then I add my MB7 and dump it in by my Vortech.

For Vodka I just use a dropper and put a couple drops into my sump right by the return pump.
Ahanix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ahanix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2010 at 6:43pm
In addition to this, if you are asking about the point of time where you should start dosing vodka after you dose MB7 the magic number seems to be two weeks, after the initial dosing period of the MB7. This is really just a safety net (From what I have read) from people getting stuff like Cyano. I've dosed MB7 for a week (Half of what the bottle suggests) and started dosing vodka again last night with some really awesome results in chalice, birdsnest and monti growth / coloration
CapnMorgan View Drop Down
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 9:17am
So I started up my pellet system today about an hour ago. There are still a few small clumps of pellets but overall they are pretty well fluidized. I'm sure over the next few hours the remaining clumps will separate and begin tumbling separately. I am using Brightwell Aquatics Katalyst pellets along with MB7 and Probidio Biodigest dosing. So in keeping with the instructions on the katalyst bottle I added 12cc's of MB7 to my tank, and directed the outflow of my reactor towards my skimmer intake. My controller will watch for any drops in pH and my skimmer will be running a little wet just in case (speaking of which I need to empty the cup LOL...) I'll be starting a photo thread of my progress, but thought I'd post I took the plunge, now if all goes well I can sit back (figuratively speaking) and watch the excess nutrients vanish!
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
Running ReefAngel Plus x2
435-8
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:01am
Steve, according to the guidelines on the mb7 bottle, it is recommended that you turn your skimmer off for 4 hours after the addition of mb7. Otherwise yes it will run VERY wet, whether you want it to or not. Well at least my skimmer does when I first turn it back on. Im about a week into mb7 @ 10 ml/day. Also please let us know if you do see a ph drop. I dont have a controller so I have been curious as to how the developing bacterial biofilm affects ph.
Life is good....right?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:33am
I don't turn my skimmer off when I dose my MB7. Skimmer pumps aren't meant to be turned on and off every day. Whether it does any real damage to the pump, I don't know but that is just what I have read and studied.

The only thing that happens with my skimmer is I get a TON of foam in the collection cup and it takes a long time for the bubbles to pop. My collection cup is collecting 2x what it used to since I started adding MB7 to my tank.

I recommend not turning your skimmer off for dosing but that is just me.
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:37am
How big of a tank do you have jeff? Cause the mb7 bottle says for the first 2 weeks for med -high nutirent tanks does 5 ml(one cap) per 25 gallons per day... maybe I read that wrong.

But the mb7 doesn't seem to affect ph much, at least not yet.... my orp drops a little till I kick the skimmer back on
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 10:42am
I have a 65 gallon minus rocks = about 50 gallons of water. So yes (2) 5 ml caps daily for 2 weeks. And Ryan, Im just trying to follow the instructions on the bottle.
Life is good....right?
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 11:00am
Nice... and ya I am just following the bottle too... to me it would seem that if you don't turn off your skimmer it will just pull all the bacteria out before it has any chance to do anything. Cause the second I turn on my skimmer it pulls out a ton. And same with uv, would just kill the bacteria
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 2:17pm
At those levels you guys are seeding with (5ml per 50 gallons), it will get established with or w/o the skimmer on.  It will penetrate into the substrate, live rock, etc.  Sure, some will get pulled out, but those are large amounts being added daily.  Billions and billions of individual bacteria....there is no way it will all pass directly in front of the intake of your skimmer (and even then it won't all get skimmed out) before it has a chance to establish somewhere else in the system.

Edited by jcom - November 17 2010 at 5:01pm
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 4:58pm
Well down to non readable phosphates in both my tanks starting to notice some great coral growth again

jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by Nick801 Nick801 wrote:

Well down to non readable phosphates in both my tanks starting to notice some great coral growth again

Nice Nick!  What all are you using (Vodka, MB7, aminos, etc)?
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:01pm
So no pH drop today thus far, I'm actually following the instructions on the katalyst bottle. They are a little different than the ones on the MB7 but I'm sure it could work either way. My skimmer did pull a little more than usual but not a crazy amount. I'm sure it will pick up though as I continue dosing. 
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8
jdskidawg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jdskidawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by jcom jcom wrote:

Nice Nick!  What all are you using (Vodka, MB7, aminos, etc)?

how long have you been dosing?
150 in the works

8g Biocube,minijet 606,par38 led and Intank media tower,koralia nano
Nick801 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick801 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:13pm
I guess I've been dosing 2 or 3 days before the mwrf
and honestly I've had about .40-.50 on my phosphate test nearly every time I tested for about 5-6 months
it was really starting to stunt growth in my 210

I'm using mb7 and reef biofuel but when the biofuel runs out I'll most likely just switch to vodka

I used a bit of aminos but haven't been keeping up on those very much
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:15pm

.... honestly I've had about .40-.50 on my phosphate test nearly every time I tested for about 5-6 months

Whoa!  Yeah, that would do it. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 5:58pm

At those levels you guys are seeding with (5ml per 50 gallons), it will get established with or w/o the skimmer on.  It will penetrate into the substrate, live rock, etc.  Sure, some will get pulled out, but those are large amounts being added daily.  Billions and billions of individual bacteria....there is no way it will all pass directly in front of the intake of your skimmer (and even then it won't all get skimmed out) before it has a chance to establish somewhere else in the system.

I was gonna say this exact same thing but had to go to work this morning.

I don't follow the instructions on the bottle because my tank is different then anyone else's. Just like jcom's tank is different and Jeff's tank is different.

I don't care for instructions on bottles of anything I dose. I don't follow any of them.

You guys that are dosing the high nutrient dosage need to be VERY careful. If you lower your nutrients too quick, you will wipe out your tank. A gradual decrease is the best way to go IMO.

I would definitely recommend cutting your dosages in half at this point. The only time I would follow the high nutrient dosage is when I would be seeding a brand new tank. Especially if I set it up with Marco Rock or Utah Rock.
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Ryan Thompson Ryan Thompson wrote:

I was gonna say this exact same thing but had to go to work this morning.

I don't follow the instructions on the bottle because my tank is different then anyone else's. Just like jcom's tank is different and Jeff's tank is different.

I don't care for instructions on bottles of anything I dose. I don't follow any of them.

You guys that are dosing the high nutrient dosage need to be VERY careful. If you lower your nutrients too quick, you will wipe out your tank. A gradual decrease is the best way to go IMO.

I would definitely recommend cutting your dosages in half at this point. The only time I would follow the high nutrient dosage is when I would be seeding a brand new tank. Especially if I set it up with Marco Rock or Utah Rock.

Not to mention the added oxygen depletion that much added bacteria may cause.

Edited by jcom - November 17 2010 at 6:10pm
badfinger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badfinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 6:31pm
I understand the whole lowering nutrients too quick... but isn't the whole idea behind this is to dose a carbon, then that consumes nitrates and phosphates, then the bacteria(mb7) consumes the carbon, then you skim it out so that the carbon and bacteria come out. Or become food for corals. I feel if I skim out the bacteria before it consumes the carbon, we have a problem. I may be way off base, so correct me if I am wrong.

Plus isn't it the carbon that is going to make a tank crash, or not getting out the bacteria fast enough before it dies (which I am sure bacteria has a greater life span then 2-4 hours).... and isnt mb7 just enzymes,aerobic, and anaerbic microbes, which to me seems like a lot less of a threat then the carbon I will be putting in( and when I start dosing carbon I don't plan to turn off my skimmer the days I dose vodka)

To me it just seems safer to make sure that the bacteria eats all the carbon before I pull the bacteria out with a skimmer. Once again, could be wrong, that just sounds logical in my head
The Capn'

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CapnMorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 6:39pm
The bacteria actually consume nitrates and phosphates but need a carbon source to do so. Your skimmer is removing the excess biofilm from the water. The concern is that aerobic bacteria use oxygen, so if you have way too many bacteria they deplete your water of oxygen and suffocate everything else. At least that is my understanding.
Steve
My Old 180G Mixed Reef
Currently:
120G Wavefront Mixed
29G Seahorse & Softies
435-8

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Thompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2010 at 6:44pm
The bacteria you are adding is eating the nitrates and phosphates. Carbon doesn't eat nutrients.

I can't remember what link that talks about the actual science going on but I will try to summarize what I can. Disclaimer: I am paraphrasing and going off the top of my head. Some things may be off a little bit.

Carbon is a molecule that can "attach" itself to other molecules. When this happens the molecules become large enough to be skimmed out. Skimmers don't remove nitrates and phosphates, they remove the items that cause nitrates and phosphates. By adding the bacteria you are adding a predator that is preying on the nutrients. The carbon source "feeds" the bacteria so it becomes bigger and can be skimmed out of your tank.

I remember reading a link from Shawn (Aquatica) that it will take a protein skimmer anywhere from 3-5 days to cycle your tank. You don't need to worry about a protein skimmer pulling out the "just added" bacteria.

Add bacteria to your display and dose the carbon source in your sump. That gives the bacteria ample time to stay in the display and seat itself on the rocks and sand.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic