Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBack in the game!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back in the game!
    Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:27am
My saltwater addiction took a turn for the worse this summer with the passing of my father and moving to Eagle Mountain to care for my mom but things are finally settleing down and I have a little time to spend on the tanks again. I started by relocating the Red Sea Max from its purch over the fireplace where my dad had it to a location that is easier to service, restacked the rock and now it's starting to look like someone loves it again. Here are some pics of the new rock stack. Sorry the pics aren't very good but there is a lot of glare in the room in the morning. I'll try to get some better pics tonight.

Front View

Right Side View

Left Side View

Candy Canes

Monster Bubble Tips: These guys may take over the tank soon. Wink

Idaho Grape

My 28G Nano and Frag tank are a mess right now but I just finished the wall in the basement where the new frag system will be going and will be putting up the stand and moving the rest of my systems to the new place in Eagle Mountain in a couple weeks. More on that later.

Its great to be back in the game.Big smileBig smileBig smile

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:34am
welcome back!

-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 12:25pm
Good to see you back, Burt. Sorry for your loss.
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 1:00pm
Welcome back, the tank looks great!

Chris Scott View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 4:36pm
yea those anemone's look amazing!
55g Bowfront Corner Reef
BobC63 View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 9:34pm
Welcome back, Burt Big smile

Glad to hear things are settling down a bit for you

- My Current Tank: 65g Starfire (sitting empty for 2+ years) -

* Marine & Reef tanks since 1977 *
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:01pm
Thanks everyone,

Here's a few more pics.

Burt

[email protected]
thathiep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thathiep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:08pm
Welcome back!!!  The tank looking good
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 2:33am
Awsome tank, are you going to upgrade soon? or are you going to keep the yellow tang temporaly?
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 8:41am
Welcome back Burt.
What filtration system are you using?
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
bstuver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bstuver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 9:37am
I love that last picture!! Everyone is looking at each other like who's gonna start the fightLOL
Jackie Stuver

"wait these aren't the happy Hawaiians oompa doompa godly heaven on your face zoas?   I dont want them then. lol!" Ksmart
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2010 at 11:47am
SGH360,

The yellow tang is a permanent fixture in this tank. He has been there for almost a year and is quite happy. It's my mother's favorite fish because she is nearly blind and she can see it better than any of the others.

Mark,
The filtration in this tank is strictly the standard RSM package with a 2" sand bed and lots of live rock.

bstuver,
That is my favorite pic as well. To me it looks like they are planning something.

Thanks everyone for the comments.
Burt

[email protected]
gutfeeling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gutfeeling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 9:03pm
you should enter some of your pictures in the Picture Of the Month for this month, they look really good.
bbauman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbauman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 11 2010 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by gutfeeling gutfeeling wrote:

you should enter some of your pictures in the Picture Of the Month for this month, they look really good.

Agreed! Clap
28g Cube

Beginners Guide to Saltwater Aquariums

Brandon in West Jordan
Sahin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 11:58am
Nice tank Burt.  What is the length of your tank?  Do the tang and the Blue damsel ever fight? 
Like the shots, that shrimp looks nice too. 
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 9:00pm
Welcome Sahin.
I am curious about your question. Do you have a Damsel and a Tang that don't get along? If so, I'm positive we can help with that.

That last pic looks to me like courting behavior. I see two orange Clownfish that have paired up and are making that known to the old black clownfish. The other slight possibility is that they are both courting the black but it's not working. If she were a strong female she would have already taken possession of the anemones and in both pics she is outside of the anemones. The Damsel is just looking on because they are naturally curious and like to be in on everything going on. Big smile
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
Sahin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sahin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 3:59am
I dont have either of those fishes.  I only have a 28G Nanocube.  But I am upgrading soon to a 47G with these dimensions; 30L x 20W x 18H and I was wondering whether it would be feasable to keep a yellow tang.  I did have a 90G cube tank before that was 36inch long (tang was fine, healthy etc, and I am wondering if 6inches less length would have a big impact on a yellow tang and if it would fight with other tank mates etc.
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:19am
Hi Sahin,

The tank is a Red Sea Max which is about 34 gallons. This is a little small for a yellow tang but I got it when it was very small and he does well in the tank. When he gets a little larger I may have to move him to the frag tank or sell him and get another small tang. It's mainly for my mom who can't see well and loves that fish because she can see it. For the most part I wouldn't recommend a yellow tang in less than a 55G. The bigger the better for tangs.
Burt

[email protected]
jmtreml View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmtreml Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 4:08pm
Great looking tank, I would have to agree with your mom... the yellow tang is one of my favorites as well
34 Gallon Red Sea Max

29 gallon Bio cube
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic