Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Birth of a Frag Tank and Mixing Station.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 6:12pm
It's all T5HO right now. I'm using a 4 tube Aquaticlife fixture with built in timers on the frag tank and a GLO fixture on the sump. I'm starting to gather the parts to build a DIY LED fixture but that will have to wait till sometime after Christmas.

Edited by bfessler - November 15 2010 at 6:13pm
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2010 at 2:14pm

Here is what I have planned for my sump system so far. Let me know what you think and any improvements I  could design into it before the build.

The Skimmer section is a 20 Gallon tank that will be drilled and set up so that I can just drop in a 7" filter sock with the plastic ring, a large section to accommodate the NWB150 Skimmer and a return section to maintain a constant 8" water level and send the water to the refugium.

The Refugium section will have a chamber for equipment and probes, a refugium section and return chamber. I should be able to maintain a water depth in the refugium section of 12" to 15" and plan to have a DSB, Live Rock and Macro Algae. I have a 2 tube 24" T5 HO fixture for the light over the refugium section and plan to make the baffles out of black acrylic to keep light out of the equipment and return chambers to minimize algae growth in those chambers.

Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 9:45pm
I got my skimmer today. Unfortunately the bulkhead fittings and hole saw won't be here till Dec. 1 and I am off to CA till Thursday night so I won't be able to set it up till this weekend. Here is a pic of the skimmer.

I only have Friday to drill the 2 tanks and get the everything plumbed, then I am off to Idaho to see the grandkids in a ballet. If everything goes well It should be up and running before we leave Saturday morning.
Burt

[email protected]
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 11:46pm
Like your design just 3 chambers nothing fancy, thats how i have mine
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2010 at 12:00am
Looks awesome! I've been pretty happy with my reef octopus skimmer.... good choice!
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 2:32pm
So its back to the drawing board for the sump system. I got my Diamond Drill and started the job today. I knew the bottom glass was tempered because of the warning lable on the bottom but had no idea the back glass was also tempered. I was about 1/2 way through when the entire back shattered into millions of pieces, so my 55G sump is history.Angry
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 2:41pm
I need some advice. In most sumps the skimmer is in the first section just after the filter sock. After my experience drilling my 2 tank sump system I am reluctant to get another tank and drill it. The problem is one of space and water depth. I want to have a deep section for my refugium but I can't raise the skimmer up high enough in the first section to allow for more than about 8 to 10 inches in the refugium.

Is there any reason not to put the skimmer after the refugium and control the water level in that section with baffles? The only issue I see is beneficial life may get sucked into the skimmer instead of being passed on to the frag tank. If I put the Skimmer in the last section with the return pump then I can use a large deep refugium and regulate water depth for the skimmer using baffles. What are your thoughts on this?
Burt

[email protected]
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 2:52pm
I think you'll be fine having your skimmer after the refugium.  So much water bypasses the skimmer intake anyway, no matter where it's placed, that the difference will be nominal IMO. 
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 3:11pm
That's what I was thinking as well and I could just shut off the skimmer when stirring up the fuge. I think I'll go this route unless anyone has a reason not to put the skimmer there.
Burt

[email protected]
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 3:53pm
Isnt it the last section where the water level fluctuates? Thats how it is in my sump. Ive always thought thats why you want your skimmer in the first section. For consistency in water level. Not to mention less particles and bugs getting sucked into the skimmer pump.

Edited by Jeffs_little_ocean - December 03 2010 at 4:04pm
Life is good....right?
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by Jeffs_little_ocean Jeffs_little_ocean wrote:

Isnt it the last section where the water level fluctuates? Thats how it is in my sump. Ive always thought thats why you want your skimmer in the first section. For consistency in water level. Not to mention less particles and bugs getting sucked into the skimmer pump.

That's true, I wasn't thinking about that.  Unless you have a float valve or osmolator keeping your water at an exact level, you'll have the problem of your skimmer either being too shallow or too deep (not pulling skimmate or overlflowing respectively).  If you have either of those leveling items, you still should be fine.
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2010 at 5:14pm
I had my in the last section but moved it to the first and switch my fuge out with it a few weeks back. The main reason I did this was that pits of Cheato keep getting stuck in my skimmers pump and impeding how much water it was sucking in and how many bubbles were created. I am much happier with it in the first section now. I was having to clean out the pump once a week before.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 04 2010 at 12:37am
Good point. After cooling off and thinking about the situation I think I am going to pick up another stock tank just like the one I used for the frag tank. I'll still use the 20G for the skimmer and have it feed into the stock tank. This way I will have a huge refugium and the lower profile will make servicing the fuge a lot easier.
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 9:33pm

After a few setbacks I got the sump system fully functional today. I'm really happy with the skimmer section. Big smile

Water enters the skimmer section through a 7" filter sock. The final elbow is removeable so the sock can easily be lifted out and changed. This is my first skimmer and so far I'm very pleased with the Reef Octopus.

The Rubbermaid Stock Tank Fuge has a huge DSB and a live rock and rubble wall seperate the DSB from the return section.

Edited by bfessler - December 10 2010 at 9:34pm
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 9:55pm

I also picked up the new Vida Rock Frag Stations. These are sweet, they hold tons of frag plugs and allow the turbulent currents to flow through the stations.

I'm going to cure them in the fuge for a few days then put them into the frag tank and start fragging away.

Burt

[email protected]
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2010 at 10:01pm
Nice work. Clap
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 1:10pm
Looks awesome Burt! But the pics have me alittle confused (which trust me, isnt hard to do lol) So the 20 gallon "skimmer tank" isnt sitting inside the new stock fuge tank? It looks to be sitting off to the side? And is the 20 gallon tank drilled at 8 inches to keep the water level 8 inches for the skimmer? If so, why didnt you just go with a cheap 10 gallon tank for the sock and skimmer? And lastly if you dont mind telling us, how much did those vida frag stations cost and did you buy them directly from cerameco?
Life is good....right?
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 2:25pm

10 gallon tanks don't last if drilled. They are just too fragile.

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 11 2010 at 2:31pm
Hi Jeff,

I used the 20 Gallon tank because I had it sitting on the shelf in my garage. I placed it beside the refugium because of clearance issues under the frag tank. By placing it on the side of the rack I was able to elevate the tank and it makes working on the skimmer a lot easier. Since the whole system is in a storage area in the basement issues like noise and space weren't critical. Yes the skimmer section is drilled and drains directly into the refugium  and the extra space in the 20 Gallon gives me a lot more room for my temp probe, heater and other items I may like to add later without taking space in the fuge.

I have been working with Mark at CeramEco since they started offering VidaRock in an advisory and testing capacity so I can't really tell you what I paid for the frag stations but you can deal directly with them to design pieces you want for your tank. They can do back walls, frag stations, and overflow covers in addition to the standard aquascaping rocks. I don't think it's any cheaper to deal direct with them as this would not be fair to their LFS accounts but if it's a custom piece you want I would recommend giving them a call directly.
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2011 at 10:37am

Thought it was time for an update.

Picked up some Macro and pods form Suzy last night. Thanks Suzy. Also I have hooked up the ATO, and plumbed my Nano into the system. Here are the latest pics :D .

Full System Shot

Sump with softies and macro.

Nano, New home for my clowns and RBTA

ATO and Kalk Reactor

Chalice Frags

Torch

A couple SPS Frags

Zoanthids, Palys, and Turbinaria

Candy Canes

Softies in the sump

Burt

[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic