Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Birth of a Frag Tank and Mixing Station.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Birth of a Frag Tank and Mixing Station.
    Posted: November 01 2010 at 11:49am

Now that I am getting back into the hobby after a miserable summer it's time to set up a new frag tank and mixing station. I cleared out a small place in the basement and installed some drywall where the tanks will go. Since I was starting from scratch I installed 8 duplex outlets on 2 separate GFI circuits. This should give me plenty of power and allow me to split my power supply into 2 circuits to provide some added protection if one of the GFI's break. It's not much to look at now but here is the wall where the new equipment will be going.

The water for the mixing station will be coming from the nearby water supply to the water heater. I'll be installing my RODI unit and freshwater and saltwater holding tanks (Rubbermaid Trash Cans).

I hope to have everything going by new years.

Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 10:55pm
Got the shelving unit for the frag tank and station in today. Next up, building the frag tank.

Edited by bfessler - November 01 2010 at 10:56pm
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 11:01pm

OK today it starts getting exciting.

After pricing acrylic for the project I decided I needed a less expensive alternative for the frag tank so I decided to go with a Rubbermaid Stock Tank. There are actually a few advantages to the stock tank, 1) I don't have to clean the sides, 2) Only cost about $80 for a 52" x 30" Tank, 3) connecting the overflow and return lines is a breeze. Check out the pics.

Here is the Rubbermaid Stock tank I picked up from CAL Ranch Store.

I used a 2" Bulkhead Fitting and ABS Pipe for the overflow. Return lines are 3/4" Bulkhead Fittings.

Here are a few pics of the Overflow and Returns as well as the tank in place on the rack.

Burt

[email protected]
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 11:05pm
frag tank is a frag tank, nothing fancy way to go keeping expenses to a minimumThumbs Up
Luckedout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luckedout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 11:22pm
Looks awesome to me! A lot of frag farms out there use this. Why not!?
-Ben

90g Mixed reef

www.body-balancechiropractic.com

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 12:04am
Today was a slow day for fish stuff. I missed the MWRF because I had to watch my grandkids and not much got done on the fish room either but I did find the time to set up the RODI and start making water. Monday the rest of the parts should arrive and I should be able to finish up the plumbing. I have a 20 Gallon tank to use as a temporary sump to get things running then I am going to repurpose my old 55 gallon frag tank as the sump for the new system.

Here is a pic of the RODI and mixing station.
Burt

[email protected]
kay181 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kay181 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 12:17am
 sweet Thumbs Up 
day light scares me im going back under
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 12:58am
so how do you like your RO system i planning to purchase from bulk reef
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 07 2010 at 6:57am
It's been great. If you are going to use a float valve to shut off the water flow make sure you get one that has the automatic shutoff valve installed. This shuts off the main water supply when pressure starts to build from the float valve closing. I've had mine almost 2 years and the cartridges are still working great. I measure 0.00 TDS in the filtered water.
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 12:26pm

Water is flowing :D

I spent yesterday finishing up the plumbing and set up the controller this morning.

Here is the finished overflow and returns.

This is how the frag tank sits on the shelving unit. There is room left for my Nano which I will probably use as a QT.

A quick shot of the controller. It's not an Apex but the DA RKL does basic control tasks.

And the Mixing Station with Fresh and Salt water storage. Both tanks are set up with pumps to move water where needed and the salt tank has a heater to keep the water ready for a quick water change.

I still need to get the lights up. Then I can start moving my frags from the old tank. Once they're in the new tank I am going to modify the 55G and make it into a sump for the frag tank. I'm currently using a spare 20G as the sump till i finish moding the 55.

Burt

[email protected]
ksmart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ksmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 13 2010 at 3:45pm
Very cool!

bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 8:57am
Lights are in. Ready for some frags today!!!Big smile
Burt

[email protected]
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 9:07am
Burt, what is your plan for filtration? Are you going to build a refugium into the 55 gal sump? Are you going to use a skimmer?
Life is good....right?
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 9:07am
I installed 2 switched outlets for the pumps in the fresh and saltwater storage tanks. Now when I need water I just flip the switch and pump either fresh or saltwater where it is needed.

Shot of the entire fresh, saltwater mixing station, 

Switched Outlets

Fresh and saltwater hoses
Burt

[email protected]
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 9:19am

Hi Jeff,

Future filtration plans are to build the new sump with chambers for both a Protien Skimmer and Reverse Daylight Refugium. The refugium will have a DSB and live rock in addition to macro algae.

Right now I am continuing the Hiatt System which has worked great for me for the past 2 years. I am using the canister filter for the carbon and bacteria needed for the system.

I am having some Vida Rock frag stations built as well which will add some biological filtration as well as providing places for the frag disks. I haven't decided if I am going to put sand in the frag tank itself, I am leaning toward doing a bare bottom tank to make cleaning easier. I think with the Vida Rock Frag stations there will be plenty of biological filtration. I may put a container with rubble in the back to create a place for pods and stuff to grow but havent decided on that either.
Burt

[email protected]
Jeffs_little_ocean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffs_little_ocean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:10am
Looks great. Be sure and post pics of the custom vida rock. Im going to have a custom "tree looking" peice built for my tank as well. As always Burt, nice work!
Life is good....right?
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 12:21pm
Looks great Burt! 
You're making me want to set up some more stuff at my house...... 
But I have to show some self control!
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 9:34pm
I know what you mean Chad. Once I get the sump finished I need to slow down a bit while my wife is still in a good mood about this one.
Burt

[email protected]
Chad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 14 2010 at 10:44pm
Haha, I'm just trying not to get divorced over all of the led's I just bought!
What?! You pooped in the refrigerator, and ate the entire wheel of cheese?! I'm not even mad.... That's actually amazing!
jcom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 15 2010 at 5:42pm
Nice Burt!  All looks very convenient.  What lights are you running? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic