Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bubble Algae

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
flyfishutahtrout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishutahtrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bubble Algae
    Posted: November 04 2010 at 10:05pm
Hello, my tank has a lot of bubble algae. Does anyone have any sugestions on how to get rid of it?

Thanks everyone,

Chase
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2010 at 10:13pm
is not really necessary to double post.

Bubble algae can be controlled , it hard to get rid of it. You can manually remove them with tweezers or by hand carefully not popping any. Having alot of hervibores will keep your algae minimum. I have a emerald crab or i think i do these guys keep this type of algae under control, keep in mind Nitrates and Phosphate play a big part of keeping this guys alive
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 9:36am
I love the look of a large Valonia/bubble algae. I had one once that I allowed to grow to a 2 inch diameter.Big smile

I agree that keeping pollution to a minimum is a very important control factor.

Popping is not a problem. It does not make them grow any more or any faster. The tool I use to pop them is a needle or pin stuck at an angle though the end of a3/8" dowel. It makes quick work of the job. Then you need something to eat the deflated skins.

As with all algae it's very, very important to have herbivores to eat it and keep it in check.

How bad is the problem. Can you post a pic?

Common Valonia eaters are Emerald Crabs and Naso/Unicorn Tangs
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
flyfishutahtrout View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyfishutahtrout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 5:41pm
Thanks for your help, I will try to post a pic.  I have some bubble that are about 5 inches tall and 3 inches around. I dont care if those stay I think they look cool as well. Its the little bubbles that grow in clusters of hundreds that bother me. I bought a emerald crab two days ago and he ate the biggest bubble (the five incher). I hope that he keeps it up.

Thanks for your help,

Chase
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 6:07pm
Mark,

Can you give me a reference where you got the info about popping the bubbles not making it gorw any faster? Everything I have read about bubble algae says not to pop the bubbles if possible as they are filled with thousands of spores that can create new algae colonies.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 12:28am
I think mark is trying to say is by popping them will make new small bubble algae that herbivores will look attracting, if they grow big enough not only they will have more spores than small one, Herbivores would not be attracted to them
MadReefer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadReefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 1:59am

My opinion, not based on study, just observation, is that young bubble algae has no spores to make new bubbles but if it is old or going clear you should avoid popping it. Regardless, I've only seen it a problem when nutrients were high. Just like many pests.

Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 8:37am
I don't know if this will make any sense, and I mean no disrespect, but the hobby is made up of mostly new hobbyists. When those new hobbyists choose to raise their voices, all we can hear are the fears and rumors coming from the mouths of new hobbyists. The din of all those voices overpowers and overworks the few voices of experience and reason.

It's my personal observation that Valonia Algae grows better in some tanks than others. I believe it has less to do with reproduction(spores) and more to do with other variables, like pollution and lack of consumers. Actually, the major variable is the hobbyist.

Hobbyists that allow large patches of Valonia to grow before taking action may not mind the look at first, but when that look takes over prime real estate it's time to bring in the "big guns". In those cases, the Unicornfishes are best answer. Naso Tangs are in that family. Smile For all other tanks, the Emerald/Mythrax Crab is a necessary part of the cleanup crew. For me, at the first sign of several Valonia bubbles, I will add at least one Mythrax for every 50 gallons of tank capacity.

I believe that Valonia release reproductive gametes from around the outside base of the bubble. I have not noticed any increase in Valonia growth when the inner fluid is released. If I'm not mistaken, the inner fluid is lower salinity water trying to get out. Osmotic pressure is what makes the bubble act like a rubber ball. (Who here hasn't played bounce the Valonia Ball?) Popping the bubble disturbs the base which may releases a few more gametes, but so what! The real key is to destroy the Valonia. The more Valonia bubbles can be destroyed, the less gametes will be produced. For me, it's too much trouble to remove them by hand. I simply pop them and let herbivores clean up the remains. All herbivores, even Snails will help clean up the remains.

Snails cannot be overemphasized. The need, in most tanks, for a grundle of Snails is self evident. Snails eat the algae when it's just a nubbin. When there are enough snails eating new sprouts, algae will not become a visible problem. It's unfortunate that we often fail to replenish a declining snail population until it's too late and the algae has become a plague.Shocked
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 8:48am
Mark - I've had great success in the past with Foxfaces eating bubble algae. They can be a better solution if you get a juvenile for smaller tanks that can't support Unicorn Tangs. Just thought I'd point it out.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 8:56am
Yes, I love the Rabbitfishes. They are ravenous algae eaters. Thanks for pointing that out.
The Zebrasoma Tangs (Yellow, etc.) because of their mouth shape, will eat small Valonia and tear up the popped Valonia.

For anyone having a problem with their fish, keep in mind that no herbivorous fish will eat algae if it is too well fed by it's keeper.Smile
bfessler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bfessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 10 2010 at 10:37am

Thanks for the explanation Mark.

I always try to get rid of any valonia as soon as I see it by plucking it out but popping the bubbles would be easier. I'll have to try this next time I see some in the tank.
Burt

An equal opportunity reefer,
I support all hobbyists and organizations involved in Marine Aquarium Keeping.
[email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic