Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Two pairs of clowns?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two pairs of clowns?
    Posted: November 05 2010 at 1:37pm
Ok guys I have a 150 gallon long tank with a tun of rock and good hiding places.  Right now I have a breeding pair of clarkie clowns on one side of the tank about 12 inches from the end,  In my other tank I have a pair of gold striped maroon  clown fish that host in a beautifull rose bud enemeny that I would love to put in my main tank.  both pairs lay eggs constantly, would they tear eachother apart if I move the gold stripes to the main tank?
  Thanks in advanced and dont mind all the errors JT
45 reef with t5's
125 reef with 2 400 Watt mh's
SGH360 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGH360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 1:54pm
you can do trial and error, acclimate the fish to see if there any aggression. are they the same size?
jwoo View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 3:14pm
Those are two of the meanest most territorially clowns. Were it Perculas or False Percs I'd say no problem . . . but with Clarkis and Maroons? I don't think I'd personally risk it.
None at the moment
Soon: 72 Gallon Bowfront
Mark Peterson View Drop Down
Paid Member
Paid Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Peterson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 5:31pm
I agree with jwoo, but it doesn't hurt to try.
Place them and their anemone in as open of a clear container as possible. I'd get a small clear sterilite tub and put them in it with bridal veil very secure over the top. Set it on the opposite end of the tank and watch very closely the actions of both pairs. Watch for several days. Because the Maroons are in the tub, it will be hard to predict the outcome, even if they don't even seem to be paying any attention. If no reaction after a day or two, move the container closer to the middle and watch what happens. Think of them as having latent aggression toward each other and if and when the Maroons are released, one pair may come over and claim the others anemone. Hopefully the others will be happy to trade. If not, be prepared for a terrible battle.
If it actually works, be warned they will stop laying for a few months at least.
I give it a 20% chance. Ouch
Reefkeeping Tips, & quick, easy setup tricks:
www.utahreefs.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=9244
Pay it forward - become a paid WMAS member
jthomas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jthomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2010 at 6:32pm
guess I will pass i love seeing the clarkies eggs every week but the marroons host in an awsome rbta some of the coolest coloring I have seen.,
45 reef with t5's
125 reef with 2 400 Watt mh's
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic