Utah Reefs Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sump/Refugium

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:12am
Kahuna - I like the idea and how simple it is.  How big is your tank?  Wondering on the Rio 2500 - just trying to figure out exactly what I'll need if I go in sump return.  Thanks!  Has anyone just used some cheap power compacts from Home Depot for the refuge?
KeoDog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KeoDog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:21am
I use the screw in type that replaces a normal light bulb over my refugium.  It is a Commercial Electric brand.  Its output is 65000k and the package it comes in is blue. I believe it is called a daylight bulb.  I purchased it at Home Depot and it works great.
Kevin Kunz (Sandy, UT)
300g reef

"A trade by which one gains and the other loses is a fraud."   Ayn Rand
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:26am

The tank I'm using it on is a 46 bow front.  It was hooked up to my 80 gal. prior to current test of just using deep sand (7inches) and 2 over the back  emperor filters.The rio 2500 is overkill for the 46.  I have used a rio 1400 and 1700 with good results.

I have The pc from Home depot(American Lighting).  It works fine for the macroalgae. I use the VHO's now because of a heighth clearance challange with the sump under my tank and being able to use it for frags. 

Cell 801 860-7333
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:36am

The reason I wouldn't want the skimmer after the fuge is there would be less of a chance of the "bugs" from the fuge getting caught in the skimmer.  The real appeal (to me) of using a refugium is all the mini/macro life abundant in the fuge that works it's way into the main tank.  Any biofiltration would be secondary.  In my ideal world, my refugium would be elevated above the main tank and gravity back, eliminating the return pump.

I like Kahuna's sump.  The skimmer bypasses the 'fuge and it's simple.

hmm, maybe I go overkill on circulation, but I've got a Rio2100 on my 20 gallon tank that I wish I'd bought a 2500 instead.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:42am
I get it now.  Do they make it through your return pump though?  My next tank will be designed differently to be able to do an elevated fuge for sure.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 9:44am
Kahuna. You have the exact tank I have and I'm trying to do a setup right now. I have an overflow and sump and that's it. I would love to see pics of your setup and tank. The light suggestion sounds like a good one too.
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 10:37am

My refugia is elevated and I highly recommend that.  Gary Williams has a great tank (second only to John Fletcher  ) that utilizes the elevated refugia.  View some CPR setups and see how they work, if you are really interested.  Also, we will be discussing this during our June meeting (presidency recently planned the next few months, and that list will be provided to the webmaster soon). 

Also, cheap lights like those at Home Depot are fantastic for sumps.  Many people have had great success from them.  You can also get blue bulbs and white bulbs to replace the bulb that comes with them.

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 1:14pm
could you be a little more specific about the lights at Home Depot you are referring to? Do they have a specific brand? Are they pcs that come with a ballast? How much are they?
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 1:42pm
What I have seen brand name American Lighting for like $20 - they are power compacts.  I don't think they need a ballast - straight outlet plug.
Adam Blundell View Drop Down
Presidency
Presidency

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Blundell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 2:39pm

Yes the Lights of America lights are what I typically use.  Fixtures are like $30 or $40 for the larger ones.  They wire straight into a regular 120V, no ballast necessary.  They are actually fixtures to put outside on your house.  Somewhat common lights, many people use them on their tanks.  In fact I ran my 35 gal for 5 years with only these lights. 

Anyway, hope this helps

Adam

Come to a meeting, they’re fun!
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 2:44pm
thanks for the info. One more stupid question. I don't know anything about plumbing. What would I need for the plumbing of the return pump? Just flexible tubing or is PVC better? You know what they say about pictures. Will anyone send me a detailed pic or something that shows all the connections?
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 3:05pm

I just use flexible tubing.  I seem to move things around alot.   I do plan to change to PVC eventually.  I get home Friday night. I'll take photos Sat. and send them then.  What part of the valley are you in.  You are always welcome to come by and check my system out.

Cell 801 860-7333
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 3:10pm
I'm in Orem. Where are you located?
Jared Page
Highland, UT
Graphic Designer
Kahuna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kahuna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2003 at 3:58pm
I'm in Sandy.
Cell 801 860-7333
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2003 at 7:52am
jfinch View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jfinch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 9:38pm

Hey, since you all helped in designing this sump, I'll post a few pictures of the progress here.

Here's the sump just before gluing on the bottom.

rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2003 at 9:43pm
Awesome!  It is looking great!
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 1:16pm
I am wondering if the refugium would be a good place to ban my crabs?  I'm kind of sick of them constantly eating my snails no matter what I do, extra shells, nori and so on.  Would they wipe out a pod population in a refugium though?  Pod growth is part of the reason I want the refugium and don't want to wipe them out with the crabs.
peiji View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peiji Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 1:32pm
Aren't crabs supposed to keep your main tank clean by eating algae and detritus? It seems like if you didn't want them in your main tank, why have them at all? Maybe I've got the wrong impression about crabs. They don't necessarily provide any other benefits, do they?
rfoote View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfoote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2003 at 2:19pm
I sure don't see them touching much of my algae.  Honestly I really don't!  They very rarely ever leave my dsb.  I just put in probably 25 different sized shells, a piece of nori and then added 25 Mexican Turbos - I kid you not within 2 hours they killed and ate 3 of the turbos and left the nori alone.  I know that the Turbos were fine because I had them in my sump for about a week before moving them to the main tank.  I like watching the crabs but I am wondering more and more of what benefit they really do provide.  Any ideas?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic